Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Holiday travelling

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Holiday travelling

Ok, I saw a lot of people on the road yesterday when I was making my way home, so it got me wondering how many folks here travelled somewhere else today and how far you went. What's the farthest you ever drove for Thanksgiving or Christmas, whether going away or coming back home?

I had a bit of a haul. I was home this past weekend and told dispatch I wanted to work the first part of the week but I also wanted to get home for Thanksgiving. I got a call Monday morning with a load to McAllen, TX. I delivered late Tuesday evening and was supposed to have a load from Brownsville over to Huntsville, AL (from where I would have driven home empty) but that load cancelled. So Tuesday evening I made it from McAllen up to San Antonio, spent the night there, drove from San Antonio to Nashville yesterday, and made the last leg from Nashville back home this morning, arriving home about an hour before the turkey got done and just in time to roll out and bake the dinner rolls. That puts my trek home at just under 1500 miles, the longest drive I've ever done for a Thanksgiving dinner. I hope getting back at Christmas is a little easier, or at least more profitable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Holiday travelling

I stayed home this year.

The teamsters went home - about 600 miles one way.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I traveled with out really traveling. Dinner was in Homestead, FL this year (my sister in-laws). That's a 45 min drive from where we live (Weston, FL), but I had to pick up and drop off my parents who live in Miami Beach.

So I did 4 hours of driving and somewhere like 200 miles, in the end.

Nothing is close anymore.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The gang just called. They're crawling through the Erie/Cleveland area. Ran into some white stuff.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

First time I haven't traveled for thanksgiving in about 10 years. It was really, really nice not to deal with either airports or interstates. We're doing the same for Christmas. Amazing thing happens when you move to Colorado. The family starts coming to you.
    Stick to your guns.

I'm in Orange County, California. Flew out from Indy with the wife, kids, mom and dad on Monday. We're going to Disneyland next week.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I went about 600 miles TO Cincinnati for Thanksgiving. We travelled Tuesday night into Wednesday morning so the little one would sleep most of the way...there's no way a 2-year old can stand to sit in a car seat for 9-10 hours without fussing. The return trip was Friday night into Saturday morning...another 600 miles. It was a great Thanksgiving though, everyone had a blast and the food was delicious thanks to my brother, his wife, and my sister.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just drove to and from Brevard County, Florida last week for Thanksgiving. That's about 750 miles each way. I've had similar drives from various parts of Florida to Kentucky in the past. Good thing I like to drive.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

No holiday traveling for us. You want to see us? Come see us. We're sure as heck not getting on the highway or an airplane anywhere near Thanksgiving or Christmas. Life is too short.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    everyone had a blast and the food was delicious thanks to my brother, his wife, and my sister.
    how did your brother taste?

Stick to your guns.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    how did your brother taste?

With his tongue, like everyone else, silly. :

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    No holiday traveling for us. You want to see us? Come see us. We're sure as heck not getting on the highway or an airplane anywhere near Thanksgiving or Christmas. Life is too short.
    We flew over Thanksgiving and it went very smooth. We went in expecting it to be bad, but it seemed like much ado about nothing.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Disneyland was a blast.
    We also went down to the SD Zoo, which although I would call it impressive, is not really that much more impressive to me than Columbus or Cincinnati. Makes me appreciate what I grew up taking for granted.

I also played a round of golf at the San Clemente Muni, which has no clubhouse right now. In fact, the construction has forced them to have people tee off on #7. Weird. But the coolest thing about the place was a par three, from up in the Presidential estates where Nixon had a house. Beautiful view of the setting sun over the Pacific.

And speaking of Nixon- we went to his library. Now that the NARA is running it, there will actually be some information on Watergate there. But, as of right now, you'd think the guy just finished his presidency after visiting China. And all the docents seem to be on the take with the Nixon family. They talk about him like he was god and not the paranoid, anti-semite that he was...but then I guess that would ruin the ambiance of his library. We went because they had a big miniature train display there for the holidays. What that has to do with Nixon, I do not know. But the kids loved it...and his helicopter was pretty cool, too.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 12-01-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?