Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Thanks, I'm glad you guys appreciate it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

I was in Cincinnati the entire day yesterday. I drove by the stadium on three different occasions, twice during the daylight hours and once after dark. The first I heard about Joe's passing was when I logged onto Redszone about three hours ago.

There's not much that I can add to what's already been said, just that this feels like losing part of your family...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, I think I'm just about done with the sniffles and then I come home and read more of this thread. This is weird. I feel the loss here as much as I have with friends I have lost. I only met Joe a couple times and only spoke to him very briefly on those occasions, yet I feel like I have lost a close friend.

Since Joe passed I have been in Detroit, Toledo, then St. Louis, and then back home tonight. I have been wearing Reds gear since yesterday and people in those cities who saw my shirt or hat have mentioned Joe and how sad they are, people who aren't even from Cincinnati. I never thought about how well known he would have been in other cities, but I heard folks talking about him in Detroit and St. Louis and there was something in the St. Louis paper today as well. I think Joe was the only person who didn't know how much he meant to so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad you guys appreciate it.
    That's really good work, Matt...thank you for sharing it.

I'm a Miller High Life guy, but me and my Reds fan friends drank Budweiser tonight, and talked about our favorite Joe calls.

I don't know what I'm gonna do without him, to be honest.

I never cry.

The last time I cried was when my Grandfather died a few years ago, but that didn't even happen until I was alone in the church bathroom during his memorial, and nobody knew.

I pretty much feel the same way now.

I'm not angry, or happy........I guess this is that whole "sadness" thing creeping up again.

Whoooo.

I don't like it one little bit.

When I heard Marty talking with Mike McConnell about Joe wanting to broadcast from every ballpark, and how he was upset about not making the trip to Safeco field last season.

Forget it. I don't want to think about it again.

We're never gonna hear Joe call a fly ball to "Right, Left Field" again, and I'm not sure how well I can handle that thought.

He had better be elected to that Hall of Fame.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

From the Post

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

When I heard Marty talking with Mike McConnell about Joe wanting to broadcast from every ballpark, and how he was upset about not making the trip to Safeco field last season.
    It's even more sad that next season the Reds will (I think) go to Baltimore and Toronto to two parks (along with Safeco) that Joe never broadcast from...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I am someone who normally doesn't get upset when people who i didn't know or never met die. In fact, i find it odd sometimes how upset people get when a celebrity, etc dies.

That didn't apply here, I was truly saddened by Joe's passing. Maybe it is because while I never met joe, I felt like I genuinely knew him. I actually wrote in my blog for the first time in months this morning - I just felt the need to put it down on paper (or LCD screen as the case may be).
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I'm back from Mass now and there were a handful of parishioners who wore Red to commemorate the old lefthander. One member said her great-aunt missed some family function because she and her friends were up at church saying a rosary for Nuxie.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm back from Mass now and there were a handful of parishioners who wore Red to commemorate the old lefthander. One member said her great-aunt missed some family function because she and her friends were up at church saying a rosary for Nuxie.
    It's hard to believe how many people Nuxie touched. I too went to mass this morning and all the talk was about Joe. One guy,who I didn't even know was a Reds fan (and you have to understand that the parish is only about 125 people--small town), went on and on about how big of a loss this was.

It's funny how all those inaccuracies that everyone used to talk about when Joe called a game didn't matter anymore.

Those slow and sometimes incorrect calls were always part of the game to me. But then, I grew up with those kind of announcers. Hyper active announcers in baseball especially, make me want to turn the sound down.

All I've seen and heard today were stories about Joe. Joe even broke the Bonds ceiling, I was getting tired of that story, it was depressing. The stories about Nuxhall were up lifting and positive, bringing back good memories and smiles. I hope there's a special service for him, or more importantly I guess...., for us.

A part of me goes with you Joe. Thank you for so much joy in my life. RIP
    Let's play two!!!

I wish I could hear the last Star of the Game show that Joe did with Marty. It can't be a copyright issue, as WLW streams the post game show--I know they have a transcript at the Enquirer. I just would love to hear it. Wouldn't WLW be smart to put it up on their site?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Joe buddy I already miss you!!!!! You was my favorite reds announcer along side with Marty.You was reds baseball and you will never be forgotten.My heart is broken right now but you are in a better place looking down on all of us reds fans smiling as I type this.I can't tell you how many times I listened to you since I was six years old.Im tearing up as I type this b/c my main goal was to get your's and Martys autogragh but it looks like I was a little to late.Truth be told I was going to call rob bucher monday to see if he could get in touch with you and Marty.I still have the memorys of listening to you call the reds games and thats something that I will never let go.

Joe,buddy I will miss you and I will never forget you.RIP Joe you was the greatest!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I wish I could hear the last Star of the Game show that Joe did with Marty. It can't be a copyright issue, as WLW streams the post game show--I know they have a transcript at the Enquirer. I just would love to hear it. Wouldn't WLW be smart to put it up on their site?
    It's up over on the reds.mlb.com website
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?