Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Nice job, Matt. That was very cool listening to those clips again.

RIP, Joe. No one ever loved the game more.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

The Washington Post obit, with a little more detail about Joe's debut and early career

Joe Nuxhall, 79; Youngest Player In Major League History, at 15

By Matt Schudel
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, November 17, 2007; B06

Joe Nuxhall, a left-handed pitcher whose 1944 debut at age 15 with the Cincinnati Reds made him the youngest player in major league history, died Nov. 15 at Mercy Hospital in Fairfield, Ohio. He was 79 and had cancer and heart ailments.

Mr. Nuxhall was only a few days removed from pitching for his junior high school team in Hamilton, Ohio, when the Reds offered him a contract to fill out a roster depleted when players were called to action in World War II.

He had an inauspicious performance in his first game, against Stan Musial's St. Louis Cardinals, and would not appear again in the big leagues for eight years. But he went on to have a solid pitching career and worked for 40 years as a radio broadcaster with the Reds.

Mr. Nuxhall was beloved in Cincinnati, and a statue depicting him as a 15-year-old pitcher stands outside the Reds' new stadium, the Great American Ball Park. He was known to fans as "Nuxie" and "the ol' left-hander."

Mr. Nuxhall got his chance to play professional baseball when scouts came to watch his father, Orville, an outstanding amateur pitcher. The elder Nuxhall turned down an offer, preferring to keep his job in a tool factory to support his wife and five children. But the scouts noticed his son, a strapping 6-foot-3, dominating hitters twice his age in a weekend industrial league.

The young left-hander impressed the Reds' manager, Bill McKechnie, with his control and his 85 mph fastball. His parents agreed to let him play home games for the Reds, provided that he finish the school year first. He was in the ninth grade.

Too young to have a driver's license, Mr. Nuxhall rode a bus 30 miles to downtown Cincinnati, where the Reds played before sparse crowds at Crosley Field. He sat on the bench until June 10, 1944, when McKechnie asked him to warm up. Only 3,510 spectators attended the game.

Mr. Nuxhall, wearing a borrowed pair of baseball shoes, entered the game in the ninth inning with his team trailing the Cardinals, 13-0. He got two outs and gave up two walks before Musial -- the top hitter in the National League that year -- stepped to the plate.

"Probably two weeks prior to that, I was pitching against seventh-, eighth- and ninth-graders, kids 13 and 14 years old," Mr. Nuxhall recalled in 1994. "All of a sudden, I look up and there's Stan Musial and the likes. It was a very scary situation."

Musial lined a single to right field, and after that Mr. Nuxhall fell apart. He allowed another hit and three more walks, giving up five runs.

"That's enough, kid," McKechnie said when he relieved Mr. Nuxhall after two-thirds of an inning. The final score was 18-0.

Joseph Henry Nuxhall was born July 30, 1928, and was known as Sonny in his home town. He was a superb athlete, but because of his professional contract, he was not allowed to play sports in high school for two years.

After sitting out the 1946 minor league season, Mr. Nuxhall was reinstated for his senior year and received many college scholarship offers in football and basketball.

He stayed with baseball and in 1952 was recalled by the Reds. In 1955, he won 17 games and led the National League with five shutouts. He was an all-star in 1955 and 1956 but was released by the Reds in 1960. As a result, he missed the Reds' National League championship season of 1961.

But he returned to the team in 1962 and the next year had his finest season, with a 15-8 record and an earned run average of 2.61. He retired in 1966 with 135 career victories and joined the Reds' radio team the next year. He was paired with Hall of Fame announcer Marty Brennaman from 1974 to 2004.

Mr. Nuxhall might not have been the most incisive or lyrical commentator, and one Cincinnati writer said he "sometimes can be so deadly silent during a game . . . that we wonder whether he's fallen asleep."

But Reds fans liked his folksy style, and there was an outcry when Mr. Nuxhall was forced out of his job in 2004, 60 years after his debut as a professional pitcher. In the end, the club allowed him to work a limited schedule through the 2007 season.

Mr. Nuxhall either played in or broadcast from 59 major league stadiums. The second half of his radio sign-off, "This is the ol' left-hander, rounding third and heading for home," is emblazoned on the facade of the Reds' ballpark.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Donzetta Nuxhall of Fairfield, and two sons.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

And Lonnie Wheeler's column today.

The Ol' Lefthander was an Average Joe

The Ol' Lefthander was an Average Joe who struck a chord with fans and 'just never came to grips with the fact that so many people love him'
    Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

As soon as he gets settled in, Joe Nuxhall's probably going to roll over and tell the lucky fellow in the next grave how great he feels.

Death at 79 would not find the Ol' Lefthander complaining. He'd insist it was only him, Average Joe, just a little cancer, nothing to get worked up about - certainly not like a big leaguer loafing to first or throwing to the wrong base. He'd ask you to lift the somber tones, and perhaps a cold one while you're at it.

What a gift he had for being like the rest of us. Joe Nuxhall was a twofold phenomenon. His uniqueness was in how completely he was loved by the Cincinnati baseball community. And more extraordinarily, it was in how completely he loved it back.

Typically, a baseball fan's open adoration goes unrequited. Players and public figures will offer the proper lip service to their deep appreciation; but they will not give themselves over to it. They will not lose their dignity over it.

Nuxhall's dignity was a different sort. It had to do with his willingness to put the regular kind aside if, say, a long fly off the bat of Eric Davis had a chance of leaving the ballpark and giving Cincinnati a late-inning lead. When accused of being an unabashed, unprofessional fan - of being that lowly, reprehensible thing known in the announcing business as a homer - Hamilton Joe would say, "That doesn't bother me one lousy bit."

And he was bigger for it. He was undiminished, unaffected, uncompromised and, all the while, unequivocally embraced by his three-headed hometown.

He became so big around here that they named a street for Nuxhall on the border of Hamilton, where he grew up, and Fairfield, where he and Donzetta - to whom he proposed on his graduation night at Hamilton High - raised Phil and Kim. Downtown, on the Great American Ball Park plaza, they put up a statue of Nuxie pitching nervously and historically against the Cardinals at the age of 15. Friday, local folks were placing flowers at its feet.

His magnitude, however, is best measured by the way he bursts the seams of our affection. "He was genuinely shocked the way people felt about him," Marty Brennaman, his broadcasting partner for 31 years, said Friday from the Pacific Ocean, heading home from a cruise that Nuxhall, too, would have been on if his health had permitted. "He just never came to grips with the fact that so many people love him in the manner in which they did.

"I think that, in the long history of the franchise, he is the No. 1 figure for all time. He's the guy you put on the cover of the book about the history of the Cincinnati Reds. He's the face of the franchise. You can talk about Pete Rose or whoever else you want, but nobody is in the league of Joe Nuxhall."

Certainly, no one started sooner, lasted longer, rooter harder, reveled in it quite as much. The legend goes back to 1944, when his dad, called Ox, was pitching in the local leagues and the Reds, depleted by World War II, came offering a pittance. Ox pointed them to his lanky teen-aged son, whom the rugged father would catch barehanded if the boy wasn't throwing hard enough to suit him.

But he threw hard enough to suit the Reds, who plopped him down on their bench. Young Nuxhall would catch the bus when school was out at Wilson Junior High, jump off at Brighton Corner and walk the remaining six blocks to Crosley Field. Pitching in an actual game hadn't seemed to occur to him until, on June 10, St. Louis rolled out to a 13-0 lead and there was no reason for Bill McKechnie, the Reds' manager, to hold the kid out any longer.

The inning took him through Stan Musial, and, walking five, he didn't finish it. Nuxhall had to carry that 67.50 earned run average for eight more years, during which time he regained a year of high school eligibility and became Ohio's top basketball player.

It's said - Brennaman even said it Friday - that Nuxhall's local popularity owes, in large part, to his fame as the youngest big-league ballplayer since 1887, and to his prep stardom, and to his ultimately successful 15 seasons pitching for the Reds. And that's certainly so, to an extent. But the fact is, the Young Lefthander was run out of town in 1960, when he was 1-8.

That pretty much makes him the only man to be booed out of the franchise and then booed back in. He was sent off to Kansas City for the 1961 season, when the Reds won their only pennant during his time. In the latter instance, 2002, the front office had set up a plan by which Nuxhall, who entered the broadcasting booth in 1967, would be out of it by 2004. The public outcry was so severe that the separation was softened to the degree that, as late as the most recent season - in spite of his bouts with cancer, lymphoma, pneumonia and heart trouble - the radio icon was still making periodic appearances next to Brennaman.

"Even this summer," Brennaman noted, "his voice was strong and he really sounded on top of his game. He was screwing names up, which was beautiful."

For all the wonderful things attributed to Nuxhall, mastery of the language was never one of them. It's a testament to his stature that, night after night, as he posed yet another non-question to the Star of the Game ("Barry, you know, you talk about your plays at shortstop, and, in all honesty, that one tonight, I guess it proves that when you play the game the right way, you just never know, and that's about all you can say . . . "), the player would simply proceed, politely, with his answer, with nary a smart remark.

And it's a salute to Nuxhall's place in the community that his mumbling and fumbling and protracted periods of silence - you knew it was the seventh inning if you turned on the game and heard nothing - lessened his popularity not even a little bit.

"His butchering of the English language, or consistently messing up of tough names, that all added to his appeal," said Brennaman. "I never said to anyone, 'What the hell is this guy doing in the big leagues?', because I realized the connection he had, religiously, with those people who turned on the broadcast every night. Joe was just a very special guy that people could relate to.

"It might not have worked in New York or Los Angeles or Chicago or Boston, but it worked in Cincinnati. We used to get cards from people who came to Cincinnati from somewhere else, and they'd been exposed to Vin Scully or Russ Hodges or Al Michaels or Jack Buck, and Joe was so extraordinarily different that it would take people a while to get used to him. They'd say, 'He's the worst I ever heard.' Then those same people would come back a year later and say, 'Boy, it's amazing how he's grown on me. I truly enjoy listening to his style.' ''

Didn't we all? Didn't it just feel right?

Didn't it just go along ever so nicely with the hum of the lawnmower down the street, the slam of the screen door, the sizzle of the metts on the grill? Didn't it just sound like Cincinnati's summer, Cincinnati's style, Cincinnati's soul?

Where do those things go when they round third? That's where you'll find Joe.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

I'm really enjoying everyone's words here. Very nice and personal tribute.

I agree with Redsmetz, it's a very nice scene at the statue. A handful of people there at any given time, reverant but not overflowing with kitsch. Worth going to to pay your respects...I can't think of a better place to do so than the ballpark. I've always loved where the statue is placed anyway, on a green leading up to the ballpark, and all of a sudden it's all the more appropriate with the light placed on it.

The scoreboard is lit up as well with scenes from Joe's life and a banner sign next to it. I took some pictures...normally I hate breaking out the camera at serious scenes, but everyone else was so I went for it. The final picture is of, I think, the most appropriate tribute.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Thanks for the pictures VP and Redsmetz.
    Go Gators!

This is a nice tribute video from the Dayton Daily News website:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/m/mplayer/m/40949

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    This is a nice tribute video from the Dayton Daily News website:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/m/mplayer/m/40949
    Wow! I've been a bit emotional, but managed to hold back any tears until I watched that. It's amazing how much a voice on the radio can mean to so many people. Joe was special.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The last time I heard Joe on radio was during a game in the 1996 season, when Reggie Sanders hit a homer off the Pepi sign, or something along those lines.

It was quite funny, but everything we loved about him.

I hope folks don't mind all these alternate obits. Here's a column from the Columbus Dispatch, a writer who is a Hamilton native himself

Joe Nuxhall, 1928-2007: The old left-hander was everyone's friend
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:49 AM
    By Jim Massie
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    <p>Joe Nuxhall endeared himself to Reds fans first as a 15-year-old pitcher and then as a longtime broadcaster.</p>
    AL BEHRMAN | Associated Press

Joe Nuxhall endeared himself to Reds fans first as a 15-year-old pitcher and then as a longtime broadcaster.

I lost a good friend Thursday night when Joe Nuxhall succumbed to his long battle with cancer.

I imagine that thousands of Cincinnati Reds fans awoke yesterday to the news of Nuxhall's death in Fairfield, Ohio, with a similar ache. It wouldn't have mattered whether they had ever met Joe. "The old left-hander" counted as a family member in a way that few professional sports figures in any town ever have or ever will.

The essence of Nuxhall as a player for the Reds and later as a radio broadcaster for the team was that he never met a stranger, never put on airs and never tired of preaching the gospel of baseball. He also never forgot his roots.

In death, Joe was only a short drive from his childhood home on the west side of Hamilton, where his baseball life began on the sandlots of that blue-collar city in the 1940s.

Major League Baseball, strapped for talent during World War II, began beating the bushes. The Reds went to Hamilton to scout a 35-year-old pitcher named Orville Nuxhall. They signed his 15-year-old son.

Over the years, Joe probably told the story of his big-league debut against the St. Louis Cardinals more times than Homer recited the Iliad. The difference would have been that Joe always got more laughs.

"They wanted me to sign (in 1943) and send me to Ogden, Utah," Nuxhall recalled in a 1987 interview. "We turned it down, though. We had one more year to go at Wilson (Junior High) with the basketball team. We had won two straight championships in the junior high league, so I stayed and played that season and then signed."

The Reds gave Nuxhall a contract that paid him the princely sum of $175 a month, plus a $500 bonus. He became the youngest player ever to appear in a big-league game when he pitched against the Cardinals on June 10, 1944. The Reds were trailing 13-0. He got two outs before he spotted the great Stan Musial in the on-deck circle. Stan the Man started the landslide.

"When I left, it was 18-0 with still one out to get," Nuxhall said, laughing. "They got me out of there in a hurry."

It took him eight years to return to the big leagues. He stayed for 16 seasons, 15 with the Reds. He went to the radio booth in 1967 and ultimately formed a partnership there with Marty Brennaman.

"Probably if it had been any other team than the Reds, I wouldn't have signed," Nuxhall said. "I don't think my dad would have let me sign. If you had told me when I was 30 that I'd be doing what I'm doing now, I wouldn't have believed you."

But Nuxhall stayed with the Reds and did so much more than play and talk about baseball. His charity work in Butler County raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for troubled children and scholarships for an estimated 400 high school seniors since 1989.

I met Joe for the first time in the offices of the Hamilton Journal-News in 1974. In my five years at my hometown newspaper, I grew accustomed to seeing him at high school football or basketball games. In the summer, it was nothing to find Joe leaning on a fence at a Little League game. He talked to anyone and everyone.

I left Hamilton in 1979 and didn't see Joe much over the next eight years. But one spring morning in Tampa, Fla., in 1987, I walked into a hotel restaurant to begin a story on the first Reds fantasy camp. I must have looked a little lost.

Joe's welcoming voice boomed from a table across the room. "Hey, Mass, what are you doing here?"

I remember smiling and feeling like I was home.

The Baseball Bookstore

From the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/17/sp...es&oref=slogin

Joe Nuxhall, Modern Baseball’s Youngest Player, Is Dead at 79

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
    Published: November 17, 2007

Joe Nuxhall, who became the youngest player in modern major league history when he pitched in one game for the 1944 Reds at age 15, then went on to spend more than half a century with Cincinnati as a pitcher and broadcaster, died Thursday in Fairfield, Ohio, outside Cincinnati. He was 79.

His death, at a hospital, was announced by the Reds, who said he had lymphoma.

On the afternoon of Saturday, June 10, 1944, four days after the D-Day invasion, the Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals were playing at Cincinnati’s Crosley Field as World War II baseball carried on with players who were rejected for military service or were too young or too old for the draft. The Cardinals, en route to a third consecutive pennant, were leading the Reds, 13-0, in the eighth inning when Cincinnati Manager Bill McKechnie beckoned to a young man seated in the dugout.

He was 6 feet 3 inches and weighed about 190 pounds, a left-handed pitcher who threw a fastball 85 miles an hour. He had spent the spring in junior high school.

A year earlier, the Reds scouted a right-handed pitcher named Orville Nuxhall, who was playing in a Hamilton, Ohio, Sunday baseball league. They also noticed his son, Joe, barely in his teens, who was also pitching in the league.

Joe Nuxhall signed with Cincinnati in February 1944, and when his ninth-grade classes in Hamilton let out, he would occasionally get into uniform at the Reds’ home games.

Then came the moment in the debacle against the Cardinals when his manager told him to grab his glove and head to the bullpen. Wearing cleats borrowed from a friend, Nuxhall made it as far as the top step of the dugout.

“I was scared to death,” he told The Associated Press 50 years later. “I got all shook up and tripped over the top step and fell flat on my face in the dirt.”

Nuxhall did make it to the bullpen, then entered the game at the start of the ninth inning, arriving in the major leagues at the age of 15 years 10 months 11 days. He got the first Cardinals batter, George Fallon, to ground out, then walked St. Louis pitcher Mort Cooper. He induced the next hitter, Augie Bergamo, to fly out. While facing Debs Garms, the 1940 league batting champion when he was with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Nuxhall glanced at the on-deck circle.

Waiting to hit next was Stan Musial, the 1943 batting champion. Nuxhall walked Garms. Musial followed with a line single to right, then Nuxhall walked three batters, threw a wild pitch and gave up another hit. With five runs in, McKechnie took Nuxhall back to the dugout.

“Those people that were at Crosley Field that afternoon probably said, ‘Well, that’s the last we’ll see of that kid,’ ” Nuxhall recalled long afterward.

A few days after his abortive debut, he was sent to the Reds’ farm team in Birmingham, Ala., and in the fall he entered high school, regaining his baseball eligibility when he became a senior. After pitching in the minors for several seasons, Nuxhall returned to the Reds in 1952. He pitched in the major leagues through the 1966 season, nearly all of that time with Cincinnati, and was a two-time All-Star. He led the National League in shutouts in 1955 with five and had a career record of 135-117.

Nuxhall was a full-time broadcaster for the Reds from 1967 to 2004, teaming for most of those years on radio with Marty Brennaman. He broadcast a few games in the past three seasons.

Nuxhall is survived by his wife, Donzetta, and his sons, Phil and Kim.

At the entrance to the Reds’ Great American Ball Park, which opened in 2003, a bronze statue depicts Nuxhall in his pitching motion. There are also likenesses of the former Reds stars Ted Kluszewski, Frank Robinson and Ernie Lombardi.

Kluszewski was known as Klu, and Lombardi was called the Schnozz, for his prominent nose. Nuxhall’s self-descriptive phrase reflected his longevity with the Reds but seemed a bit odd considering the moment he was most remembered for. He signed off on broadcasts by saying: “This is the ol’ left-hander, rounding third and heading for home.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wow I just watched the video from the Dayton paper.. it was so touching it got my eyes watering all over again.... I never met him, but feel i knew him like a grandfather..i miss him and i know i will have tears again on opening day.. On the radio today, they said you could look at GABP last night from the Kentucky side.. the light in the radio booth was left on as well.. that gave me a lump in the throat hearing that..and tears in my eyes...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Wow I just watched the video from the Dayton paper.. it was so touching it got my eyes watering all over again.... I never met him, but feel i knew him like a grandfather..i miss him and i know i will have tears again on opening day..
    He'll be at opening day. He'll be there everyday.

....As he always was.

Matt,

I don't know if this is a WLW or MLB issue, but it would be a great tribute if during the week, WLW was able to pull some full games out of the archives that Joe called and play them in their entirety for a week or so. Maybe from a cross section of years, maybe some obscure but good games from the late 60s, early 70, 80s, and 90s.

Sure would beat the heck out of listening to whatever genius is talking about some innane topic in the offseason. Any chance of making that recommendation?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

For the first time ever I dread coming to RedsZone. I know when I do, I will see some more things to make me cry.

Part of the mourning process I suppose.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Thanks, Matt. It brought tears to my eyes.
    Me too.

That's really top-notch work, Matt. Very professional.

Turn Off Ads?