Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Joe buddy I already miss you!!!!! You was my favorite reds announcer along side with Marty.You was reds baseball and you will never be forgotten.My heart is broken right now but you are in a better place looking down on all of us reds fans smiling as I type this.I can't tell you how many times I listened to you since I was six years old.Im tearing up as I type this b/c my main goal was to get your's and Martys autogragh but it looks like I was a little to late.Truth be told I was going to call rob bucher monday to see if he could get in touch with you and Marty.I still have the memorys of listening to you call the reds games and thats something that I will never let go.

Joe,buddy I will miss you and I will never forget you.RIP Joe you was the greatest!!!!
    You know, this reminds me - this means the Reds have a prayer now.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Curt Schilling weighs in

http://38pitches.com/2007/11/18/joe-...lex-rodriguez/

I’d like to first pass along our sincerest sympathy and condolences to the surviving members of the Nuxhall family. Mr Nuxhall was one of my favorite media personalities over the past 20 some years in baseball. An incredibly kind man with time for everyone.

His stories were ALL funny and you could always feel his passion and love for the game when you had a chance to sit down and talk with him, an honor I had many times. Sorry to see such a kind and wonderful man, someone who did nothing but good for the game, go. He’ll be missed.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I wish I could hear the last Star of the Game show that Joe did with Marty. It can't be a copyright issue, as WLW streams the post game show--I know they have a transcript at the Enquirer. I just would love to hear it. Wouldn't WLW be smart to put it up on their site?
    It'll be up later tonight....I have to tweak the file a little bit, and will take care of that after 6:00.

I'll supply links later

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, apologies if it's redundant:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...PT04/711180463

Reds fans can see and hear Joe Nuxhall reminisce about his major-league debut, radio career and Reds history when WCET-TV repeats "Joe Nuxhall, My Life: Baseball on Beyond." Nuxhall recorded the four half-hour programs with WCPO-TV's Dennis Janson in 2005.

On the first program, to air 7:30 p.m. Monday (Channel 48), Nuxhall recalls being scouted by the Reds and his 1944 debut.

Remaining episodes will air 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 26-27.

All four episodes can be seen on demand online at www.cetconnect.org.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

He was the last link to baseball as I first remember it. I began following the Reds in earnest in 1972, just before I turned ten years old. I had been hooked by the Pirates' and Roberto Clemente the previous October, and I made a decision to become a fan. All my friends were Reds fans, so this was the natural progression.

Al Michaels and Joe Nuxhall were my link to every game, and Nuxhall remained over the years. No matter how much things changed, he was still there, and he was still Joe. There wasn't a false note about him, and with him announcing, baseball still contained a kernal of the old innocence.

I grew to appreciate what he brought to the game. I loved his interviews. He brought a link to bothe the distant and the recent past, and the stories he told and that he got his old friends and colleagues to tell enriched my appreciation of the game. A couple of years ago, when the pre-game show featured a series of interviews with him to mark his retirement, all this came back, and the realization that he wouldn't be around forever set in.

He seemed like a wonderful man. I never met him, but it's hard to imagine he was any different in real life than he was on the air. I don't know. He seemed transparent, and he was from an age where transparency was easier.

I wanted to say much more, but it's gone now. I'll miss him.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, apologies if it's redundant:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...PT04/711180463
    Good stuff. I watched episode one yesterday.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I was unable to watch Sunday Night Football on NBC last night. Did Al Michaels have any comments about Joe?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I was unable to watch Sunday Night Football on NBC last night. Did Al Michaels have any comments about Joe?
    I'd be very interested to know that as well.

At the Bengals' game yesterday before the national anthem, they had a very nice tribute to Joe.

Just thinking out loud here...I made a proposition once on the name of "The Old Red Guard", and it was unanimously approved.

I'd like to see us do something here on Redszone to honor Joe. Maybe rename the "Non-Baseball Chatter" board to "The Old Lefthander's Bar & Grill"

Just a thought...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...I made a proposition once on the name of "The Old Red Guard", and it was unanimously approved.

I'd like to see us do something here on Redszone to honor Joe. Maybe rename the "Non-Baseball Chatter" board to "The Old Lefthander's Bar & Grill"

Just a thought...
    Set'em up Joe.

Just a thought...
    i like that thought.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Just a thought...
    I think that would be swell.

Just a thought...
    The Old Lefthander's Tomato Patch? Was it Marty or Joe who grew tomatoes? It was so long ago that they used to talk about it, but it was one of those non-baseball discussions they always had that I enjoyed because my grandfather loved to talk tomatoes too.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think "Joe" inside the wishbone "C" would make a great memorial patch for the next season.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It is depressing how much we take someone for granted while they are living, and find out how much we appreciate and miss them when they are gone.
    Joe is one of those guys. I never met him, but man what I would have given to spend a few minutes with the man talking about what he loved so much, and what was his life - baseball.

I feel foolish for asking this, but was his number always 39, and is it (and should it be) retired? The only listing I found for his number was a reference to the '66 season, which is where I got 39 from.
    A lot of me would like to see them retire his number, as he meant so much to the ball club. But a lot of me asks why it was not done before, when he was still with us.

Turn Off Ads?