Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overnight

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Ft Washington Way should be renamed the Joe Nuxhall Highway....(Sloanie's idea, and a good one, wish I'd thought of it)...To those who are coming through our city and aren't from around here, it's still Route 50...but to everybody else, it's the Joe Nuxhall Highway. As you travel it, you can turn your head and see the sign "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Doesn't get any better than that

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad day for Reds Fans- Joe has Rounded 3rd and headed home!Joe passed away overni

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    It is depressing how much we take someone for granted while they are living, and find out how much we appreciate and miss them when they are gone.
    Joe is one of those guys. I never met him, but man what I would have given to spend a few minutes with the man talking about what he loved so much, and what was his life - baseball.

I feel foolish for asking this, but was his number always 39, and is it (and should it be) retired? The only listing I found for his number was a reference to the '66 season, which is where I got 39 from.
    A lot of me would like to see them retire his number, as he meant so much to the ball club. But a lot of me asks why it was not done before, when he was still with us.
    I'm pretty sure that he wore #43 when he played as a 15-year-old in 1944 (hence the number on the statue in front of GABP), then he wore #39 with the Reds from 1952 to 1960. After he returned to the Reds in 1962, he wore #41. I think this is how is was, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I have always been a strong proponent for retiring Joe's number. I only wish it had been done sooner.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Ft Washington Way should be renamed the Joe Nuxhall Highway....(Sloanie's idea, and a good one, wish I'd thought of it)...To those who are coming through our city and aren't from around here, it's still Route 50...but to everybody else, it's the Joe Nuxhall Highway. As you travel it, you can turn your head and see the sign "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Doesn't get any better than that
    Ft. Washington Way is also part of I-71, so I don't know if that impacts it or not (probably not), but I like this idea.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I'm pretty sure that he wore #43 when he played as a 15-year-old in 1944 (hence the number on the statue in front of GABP), then he wore #39 with the Reds from 1952 to 1960. After he returned to the Reds in 1962, he wore #41. I think this is how is was, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I have always been a strong proponent for retiring Joe's number. I only wish it had been done sooner.
    I remember that he wore #41 when he pitched batting practice in the seventies as well, until the Reds traded for some pitcher from the Mets who had a fondness for that number.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I remember that he wore #41 when he pitched batting practice in the seventies as well, until the Reds traded for some pitcher from the Mets who had a fondness for that number.
    Yeah, who was that guy?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Just got back from the visitation. The line was long but the photos, memories and stories from those in line made it all worth while. Joe looked great.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Baseball Almanac lists three different numbers for Joe. #43 during his debut with the Reds in 1944 and #39 every season afterwards except for the 1961. He wore #33 with the Royals.

An interesting historical note. Joe Nuxhall wasn't the only left hander to make his debut for the Reds on June 10, 1944. Jake Eisenhart faced two batters, walking one, in a third of an inning during the same game. He was released by the Reds fourteen days later and never pitched again. He was the ripe old age of 21 at the time.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

That was quite a turnout, to say the least. I skipped a chemistry exam to be there and don't regret it.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Thanks for the uniform number history lessons, guys - it would actually be tough for me to decide if they should retire his original 43 or oft used 39. Both might be kind of overboard.

The '44 Reds also had a rookie righty named Jim Konstanty, who went on to be the '50 MVP for the Phillies Whiz Kids team. If I recall correctly, he was one of two or three other players still active when Joe returned to baseball in '52 (I will have to look that up again when I am not getting ready for work).

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I just saw a Kroger commercial showing some clips of all the Marty and Joe Kroger ads with "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" playing.

Really nice tribute. I loved those ads growing up.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

There were several pictures of Joe wearing #41 while a Red. They looked to be taken in the 60's.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Thanks for the uniform number history lessons, guys - it would actually be tough for me to decide if they should retire his original 43 or oft used 39. Both might be kind of overboard.
    I'd be very surprised if the Reds retired any of his numbers for two reasons. For one, I'd have thought they'd have gone ahead and retired his number already if they intended to actually do so. The team had known that Joe was in poor health for a few years, and if they were going to retire his number one would think they would have done it while he was still alive. They just retired Concepcion's number last season, and not long before that they retired Sparky's number.

Secondly, his number is a symbol mostly for his playing days and not so much his broadcast days. My guess is the Reds may want to try to find something more unique than retiring his number, something that would reflect the totality of his contributions to the Reds and would be entirely unique for him. Essentially, something even more meaningful than retiring his number.

I'm not really sure what that unique thing would be. The statue reflects his time on the mound and making history by being the youngest modern big league ballplayer, and his "Rounding third and heading for home" phrase reflects his time as a broadcaster (he also has the replica microphone on the facade underneath the booth along with Hoyt and Marty).

Maybe they should tell Carl Lindner and Great American to take a hike so they can name the ol' ball orchard after Joe.

Whatever happens, I do expect the Reds to do something for him soon, perhaps this season. Perhaps Redsfest could shed some light on anything that may happen.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Didn't they retire a microphone for him along with Hoyt and Marty?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?