Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds after Cordero

Reds after Cordero

Don't know if this will soothe EdAbbs and others but....

Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Ken Rosenthal of foxsports.com reports that the Reds are one of three clubs in the running for free agent closer Francisco Cordero.

Cordero saved 44 games last year for Milwaukee and had a 2.98 ERA.

I've got a call into Wayne Krivsky. I doubt that he'll comment. But talking to other people with the Reds at the start of free agency, I got an inkling that Cordero was on their list. It makes sense. The club knows it has to upgrade pitching. Cordero would be an instant fix for the bullpen -- at lesser rate than a No. 3 starter. It will cost the Reds if they sign him. Rosenthal, citing sources, says Milwaukee offered Cordero $42 million for four years.

Copied off of John Fay's blog.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds after Cordero

$42 million over four years is an awful lot of coin to throw at someone who's only going to throw 60-70 innings per year. On the other hand, "craptastic" would be an appropriate description for the Reds' bullpen.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    $42 million over four years is an awful lot of coin to throw at someone who's only going to throw 60-70 innings per year. On the other hand, "craptastic" would be an appropriate description for the Reds' bullpen.
    Too much money I agree. My guess is he'll stay in Milwaukee.

He's the best reliever on the market.

At least he's the right target.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

At least Cordero wouldn't suck...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    He's the best reliever on the market.

At least he's the right target.
    True, but that contract really could be a crippling one. Unlike one for a starter.

Here's the report from Rosenthal:

The Cincinnati Reds, moving toward the first big acquisition of the Dusty Baker era, are in serious talks with free-agent closer Francisco Cordero, major-league sources say.

Cordero is still talking to three clubs, but it is believed that the Reds have emerged as the front-runner over the Brewers and an unidentified third team.

The Brewers, who are on the verge of losing setup man Scott Linebrink to the White Sox, offered Cordero a four-year, $42 million contract, sources say.

Cordero, 32, would fill a major void for the Reds, who last season converted only 54.8 percent of their save opportunities, the lowest percentage in the National League.

By signing Cordero, the Reds could shift right-hander David Weathers back to a setup role. Weathers, 38, performed admirably as a fill-in closer last season, converting 33 of 39 save chances.

Cordero was 44-for-51 for the Brewers while going 0-4 with a 2.98 ERA and striking out 86 in 63 1/3 innings. He made the All-Star team for the second time in his career.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    True, but that contract really could be a crippling one. Unlike one for a starter.
    I suspect the Reds have more payroll room than most might suspect. I'd rather give that money to a dominant reliever than a mediocre starter.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I suspect the Reds have more payroll room than most might suspect. I'd rather give that money to a dominant reliever than a mediocre starter.
    Agreed.

It would shift everyone down a notch on the bully pecking order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

I'm certain the Reds have more payroll room than most suspect. It's whether they want to spend it or not. My educated guess says the Reds have made money hand over fist this decade.

Incidentally, there's nothing that says that contract couldn't lock up a great starter (cf. Harang).

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm certain the Reds have more payroll room than most suspect. It's whether they want to spend it or not. My educated guess says the Reds have made money hand over fist this decade.

Incidentally, there's nothing that says that contract couldn't lock up a great starter (cf. Harang).
    probably not in free agency though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Cordero, 32, would fill a major void for the Reds, who last season converted only 54.8 percent of their save opportunities, the lowest percentage in the National League.

By signing Cordero, the Reds could shift right-hander David Weathers back to a setup role. Weathers, 38, performed admirably as a fill-in closer last season, converting 33 of 39 save chances.
    Which is why I'd like to see it.

Amen! If you can't find that starter for this rotation - and it's possible that Bailey could be that one - then shore up/beef up the bullpen/middle relief.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

probably not in free agency though.

That's for sure.

it's one thing to lock up a great starter during his pre and post FA years for an average of $10M, where you are apying for a number of $4-6M years.

You don't get a FA great starter for $10M per season. Not that there is anyone avialable.

If the Reds have $10M to spend, their best use of that money is on a reliever in todays FA market.

If Cordero were signed, as long as he's effective, he could be dealt if someone like Burton emerges as a dominant setup man. Teams are always looking for releif help - especially at the trade deadline.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

That is some serious coin but you have to build your pen from back to front and I expect that WK knows that he needs to win in the next two years or he won't be around so he isn't gonna worry about years 3 and 4.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?