Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Reds after Cordero

Re: Reds after Cordero

Like others have said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this as well. If this is the only move the Reds make it probably isn't very smart. But if we can get another rotation arm and possibly another middle relief arm then this could be very important.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

1) Sign top notch closer
    2)
    3) Win division

so....what is #2?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Awesome, awesome move. I'm stunned.

Cordero is a dominant closer. Jared Burton should be our 8th inning guy and Weathers the 7th. Bill Bray is pretty good against lefties and Brad Salmon dominated RH batters to the tune of a .573 OPS in roughly 70 PA. That's a solid bullpen right there. Now find two more relievers from Coutlangus, McBeth, maybe rookies like Tyler Pelland, Josh Roenicke, or Ramon Ramirez.

Now find another starter, Wayne.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    1) Sign top notch closer
    2)
    3) Win division

so....what is #2?
    I'm hoping that it's move Freel and or Hamilton as mentioned before for a man to fill out the rotation.

I'd hate to lose Hamilton, but if we could get a solid #3 type for him, I'd be all for it.

I think the contract is too long for Cordero, but we shall see. I would have preferred to had a proven starter, but there wasn't much out there. As long as this isn't it for the Reds, it will be a decent move. I don't think this really makes the Reds a contender for '08, but it's a good start. I hope they give him a physical before the names are signed.

The Reds really need another starter, a right handed bat, and a Jeremy Affeldt type for the bullpen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Awesome, awesome move. I'm stunned.

Cordero is a dominant closer. Jared Burton should be our 8th inning guy and Weathers the 7th. Bill Bray is pretty good against lefties and Brad Salmon dominated RH batters to the tune of a .573 OPS in roughly 70 PA. That's a solid bullpen right there. Now find two more relievers from Coutlangus, McBeth, maybe rookies like Tyler Pelland, Josh Roenicke, or Ramon Ramirez.

Now find another starter, Wayne.
    Agree. I also have a hunch that Josh Roenicke could be in the 7th and 8th inning mix by the end of the year. Cordero, Burton and Roenicke provide some heat out there and if Pelland and Salmon come along so do they. Nasty Boys II? Pretty good considering last year the best hope for a hard thrower was Todd Coffey who now seems an afterthought. Weathers actually could get a boost by being the guy who provides the different look.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

That's a ton of cash, I like signing a good bp arm, but we overpaid for the save stat.

How high will payroll go and how much cash is BOb willing to lose to get a winner? will we be able to keep Dunn? Phillips?

Hmm.
    Go Gators!

Rojo likes. Do you keep Weathers? I wonder.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

This would make a nice Christmas present to start for us Reds fans.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I clicked on this threat assuming the Reds were trying to coax Wil Cordero out of retirement to compete for the first base job and show their youngsters how to play the game the right way.
    Needless to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That's a ton of cash, I like signing a good bp arm, but we overpaid for the save stat.

How high will payroll go and how much cash is BOb willing to lose to get a winner? will we be able to keep Dunn? Phillips?

Hmm.
    If the Payroll jumps to the $80 Million that baseball's increased revenue suggests it should (probably should have jumped to $75 Million last year), then this signing just uses the increment from last year. The payflex from Milton, Larue, Cormier, Lohse, Saarloos and hopefully a few other moves of guys like Stanton and maybe Freel should still provide some wiggle room. I know some raises to Dunn, Harang and Arroyo have eaten some of that, but I don't think the team is that much worse off right now. Especially if they can move Stanton.

I'm being optimistic. The Reds have frittered away so much on junk the last few years, I don't mind overpaying a little for an impact guy.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I like the signing...a ton of cash to make a statement.

All along since Mr. C purchased the team I have stayed quiet about payroll...I don't think anyone can really say what is or isn't too much for the team to fit into payroll because the team is so close to the vest on this sort of thing...if it fills the need, I am sure Mr. C will find the cash.

I like having a good BP so I say the team keeps Weathers too.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Holy Jehosifats.

A bona fide hard thrower.

I think M2's being proven correct in his assertion that the Baker hire was a sign of more to come than just a manager hiring and crossed fingers.

Looks like Castellini has pressed the button.
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Rojo likes. Do you keep Weathers? I wonder.
    No question, unless someone wants to trade 2 young arms for him
    Go Gators!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    1) Sign top notch closer
    2)
    3) Win division

so....what is #2?
    Collect underpants?

How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?