Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Reds after Cordero

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Reds after Cordero

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious how you can be so confident in that Highlifeman?
    Cueto was basically unknown 2 winters ago. What has he done in the last two seasons to tell you his ceiling is in relief?
    His physical stature.

He's generously listed at 5'10" and 198 lbs. He's probably closer to 5'8"/5'9", and probably closer to 185 lbs.

History's shown that short pitchers don't make much of a long splash in the MLB as starters. They do, however, perform well as relievers. Cueto could very well be our next Jared Burton, and once the Reds are rid of David Weathers (via trade or letting him walk), replace Weathers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    His physical stature.

He's generously listed at 5'10" and 198 lbs. He's probably closer to 5'8"/5'9", and probably closer to 185 lbs.

History's shown that short pitchers don't make much of a long splash in the MLB as starters. They do, however, perform well as relievers. Cueto could very well be our next Jared Burton, and once the Reds are rid of David Weathers (via trade or letting him walk), replace Weathers.
    He could also be our next Pedro Martinez. Not saying he will be of course, just sayin...
    Go BLUE!!!

I'll gladly give up a 2nd round pick for an impact player like Cordero. The 2nd round in past Reds drafts have produced such stalwarts as:

Zach Cozart
    BJ Szymanski
    Justin Gillman
    Dane Sardinha
    Ryan Snare

Even the "better" picks in the last eight years, Travis Wood and Sean Watson are not even close to being top 5 prospects in the organization, and I'm sure no one would shead a tear if either was traded straight up for a dominant closer.

In fact the only second round draft choice to have an impact on the Reds in the last nine years was Joey Votto, and even though I'm fully expecting that to come this year, it has yet to happen. Whether or not that's a product of horrendous drafting and scouting is another story. Obviously it would be nice to have as many draft picks as possible, but its a small price to pay in talent given that the last time Krivsky and the Reds made headlines by acquiring bullpen help, they had to give up two everyday starters for two pitchers who combined aren't 1/3 as good as Cordero.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-24-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Baseball America has him at 5-10, 192. I trust their people over someone who has probably never seen him in person. Most experts say that because of Cueto's smooth and clean delivery he can overcome his short stature and become a #1 or 2 starter in the major leagues. I'm also a firm believer of that.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America has him at 5-10, 192. I trust their people over someone who has probably never seen him in person. Most experts say that because of Cueto's smooth and clean delivery he can overcome his short stature and become a #1 or 2 starter in the major leagues. I'm also a firm believer of that.
    I would love to walk outside someday and my Mazda magically be a Bentley or a Rolls Royce, but my Mazda is what it is, and unfortunately I have a hard time believing Johnny Cueto will become a #1 or #2 starter at the MLB level. I see him becoming the next Billy Wagner before I see him becoming the next Roy Oswalt. Both have their respective values, and I think we should embrace Cueto accordingly.

I'd rather us be more open-minded towards Cueto and accept what he will be rather than what he should be, or what we want him to be. I'd love for Cueto to end up being a legitimate #1 or #2 at the MLB level, but at the same time, I definitely wouldn't be upset if he ended up being a very dominant bullpen arm.

Well, your opinion is that he will be a reliever and mine is that he will be a starter. That's our opinion. I don't think we need to embrace the idea of him being a future reliever just because you think that.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would love to walk outside someday and my Mazda magically be a Bentley or a Rolls Royce, but my Mazda is what it is, and unfortunately I have a hard time believing Johnny Cueto will become a #1 or #2 starter at the MLB level. I see him becoming the next Billy Wagner before I see him becoming the next Roy Oswalt. Both have their respective values, and I think we should embrace Cueto accordingly.

I'd rather us be more open-minded towards Cueto and accept what he will be rather than what he should be, or what we want him to be. I'd love for Cueto to end up being a legitimate #1 or #2 at the MLB level, but at the same time, I definitely wouldn't be upset if he ended up being a very dominant bullpen arm.
    I understand your point that the law of averages is against a smaller pitcher being an impact starter over a period spanning a career, but you must agree that there are always exceptions to general rules. My opinion is that Cueto has all the earmarks of an exception to the general belief that a small pitcher can't be a starter. He has too many pitches to be wasted as a closer. Granted, he has the velocity to be a top-notch closer, but the rest of his repertoire becomes an awful waste. The Reds are in no position to waste a possible front line starter based on a generally accepted belief, so Johnny will get his chances. I look forward to seeing if he can make the most of those chances. I really think Johnny will be a more consistent starter than Homer Bailey. That said, I'm really happy with the Cordero signing. I hope he proves to be worth more than we paid for him.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?