Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds after Cordero

Re: Reds after Cordero

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    True, but the Brewers all of sudden look incredibly weak from a pitching standpoint. I'm not particularly worried about them.

Still have to point to Chicago and St. Louis as the dangerous teams in the division right now.
    The cardinals are going to collapse.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The cardinals are going to collapse.
    Why?

This would blow me away. It is a step in the right direction...but they still need more. I'm not sold on Burton just yet and I could easily see Weathers taking a step back. But all in all, it would obviously help this team.

Three thoughts came to mind when I saw this:

1) I cannot believe that the bullpen makeover is still ongoing. Absolutely blows my mind that after all this time they are still willing to drop this kind of coin on one guy.

2) While this is an obvious (and much needed) upgrade, I'm not a huge fan of signing closers to this kind of money. But I'm not going to complain. The bullpen sucks and this guy is good.

3) To give him 4 years must mean they don't see Burton filling the closer role anytime soon.

True, but the Brewers all of sudden look incredibly weak from a pitching standpoint. I'm not particularly worried about them.

Still have to point to Chicago and St. Louis as the dangerous teams in the division right now.
    Whats so dangerous about Saint Louis? They seem to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Cordero were signed, as long as he's effective, he could be dealt if someone like Burton emerges as a dominant setup man. Teams are always looking for releif help - especially at the trade deadline.
    That's a while down the road though, as I don't see a ton of mkt value for him when he has that kind of contract.

Why?
    Look at their roster. seriously, it's Albert and then everyone else is
    either washed up, close to washed up or never was. The Reds have a better roster than the Cardinals and so do the Brewers and Cubs.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

the money's there. we're the ones creating the artificial payroll ceiling with our own perception.
    I hope you're right. In which case, I would be fine with signing Cordero with that kind of money.

But I seriously doubt that Castellini's going to pump the money I'm talking about needing to fix the team into this team. In order for this team to contend as early as next season, you're likely looking at a payroll close to $100 million.

The Cardinals suck, so I'm not too worried about them.

Why?
    Age, injuries, no middle infield?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    As you're fond of pointing out, the offseason's just begun. And the Cards have many chips.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No outfield. No starting pitching. Great GM no longer there.

Look at their roster. seriously, it's Albert and then everyone else is
    either washed up, close to washed up or never was. The Reds have a better roster than the Cardinals and so do the Brewers and Cubs.
    But yet Cincy finished 6 games behind the Cards even when they lost their #1 pitcher last season?

I'm not saying that STL is a juggernaut or anything, but this team gets viewed through rose colored glasses on here sometimes.

As you're fond of pointing out, the offseason's just begun. And the Cards have many chips.
    seriously, what chips? I just don't see it.

Plus now that magic walt has left the building how can you be so sure any rabbits are left to be pulled out their hats?

The Reds played below their w/l pyth. last year. The Reds projected w/l if they played to their pyth. was 75-77. The Cardinals played above their's but they were projected as 71-91. The Cardinals were a little lucky. The Reds are in much better shape than the Cardinals for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    But yet Cincy finished 6 games behind the Cards even when they lost their #1 pitcher last season?

I'm not saying that STL is a juggernaut or anything, but this team gets viewed through rose colored glasses on here sometimes.
    I'm talking about the 40 man moving forward. The future ain't last season. The reds have problems, sure, but the cardinals just had their last gasp IMO.

Turn Off Ads?