Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds after Cordero

Re: Reds after Cordero

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    As you're fond of pointing out, the offseason's just begun. And the Cards have many chips.
    Too bad most of their chips are dollar ones.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As long as the money is not that absurd, this is something you have to be in favor of. Getting a shut down closer would set up the bullpen so nicely. Bray as the lefty/6 inning guy, Burton in the 7th, Weathers in the 8th, Cordero in the 9th. The bullpen is so much easier to set up when you know you have a shut down guy behind it. He may cost alot of money, but the bullpen is bad and he would be an upgrade.

Get Cordero, go out at trade or sign for a starting pitcher, and you take a huge step toward competing in the central.

When I first read the opening post, I thought the Reds were talking 4 years, $42 million. But now I just realized that those figures were what Milwaukee offered him.

Wow...I really hope this isn't the only move, as that's a lot of green to throw at a closer.

To me, money like that for a closer should be for contending teams. You don't need a closer when you don't have a lead. Hopefully this isn't it, if it happens at all.

Man Pills

My overall take on the Cordero deal is that I'm fine with it if it's just the bellwether move. However, if it's the sum total, it's a horrible, horrible deal. Because it means the team has maxed itself out on a reliever.

You don't need a closer when you don't have a lead.
    Do you need one when you are 29th out of 30 teams in save percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    When I first read the opening post, I thought the Reds were talking 4 years, $42 million. But now I just realized that those figures were what Milwaukee offered him.

Wow...I really hope this isn't the only move, as that's a lot of green to throw at a closer.

To me, money like that for a closer should be for contending teams. You don't need a closer when you don't have a lead. Hopefully this isn't it, if it happens at all.
    The Reds problem really wasn't getting a lead or keeping the lead in the 9th last year, it was getting the lead from the starter to Weathers. Cordero would bump both Weathers and Burton back a spot, and help do that.

The Reds were way at the bottomg of the league in save percentage last year because of all the blown leads by the bullpen in the middle innings.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds problem really wasn't getting a lead or keeping the lead in the 9th last year, it was getting the lead from the starter to Weathers. Cordero would bump both Weathers and Burton back a spot, and help do that.

The Reds were way at the bottomg of the league in save percentage last year because of all the blown leads by the bullpen in the middle innings.
    The Reds problem was a LOT of things. Sure, the bullpen failures magnify the problem because of the timing of the blown leads, but don't kid yourself, the Reds' pitching woes began in the first inning and continued till the final out was recorded. Just an awful, awful pitching corps last season.

Still and all, I seriously doubt this deal goes down. That would be an uprecedented figure for the Reds to throw at a pitcher, much less a reliever. And the Reds aren't about the breaking of precedent.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-23-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Reds problem was a LOT of things. Sure, the bullpen failures magnify the problem because of the timing of the blown leads, but don't kid yourself, the Reds' pitching woes began in the first inning and continued till the final out was recorded. Just an awful, awful pitching corps last season.
    Which is why I said they will still need to acquire another starting pitcher.

I'd like it if the Reds signed Cordero.

Sure, all relief pitchers are risky.

10 million/year isn't too much, when put in perspective.. I mean, Stanton and Weathers combine for around 6-7 million next year, and they are a much bigger crapshoot.

My main beef with the Reds' FA signings last year is that they spent all their money on spare parts, as opposed to guys that could actually make a difference. IMO, Cordero is a guy that could actually make a difference.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I like this move if it is paired with another mover for a starter. I dont think spending$10M on a closer when you don't have the other pieces to compete is wise. However, get another legitimate starter and you go along way towards competing.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Sign Cordero and then pull off a Hamilton-for-Garza type trade and this team could be ready to win the NL Central.

Here's rotoworld's take on it:

The Reds are involved in serious talks with free agent Francisco Cordero, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Spending 15 percent of the team's budget on a guy who will throw five percent of the innings hardly seems like a good idea, but the Reds do need the relief help, possibly even more than they could use another starter. Cordero is likely to command a four-year deal in excess of $40 million. The Brewers are already in that territory, Rosenthal says.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Man Pills

To me the likelihood of a Hamilton for Garza deal is roughly nil. My guess is it would take EdE, Hamilton, and a minor prospect.

Write the check. This allows you to rid yourself of your worst bullpen arm. Seems like it upgrades every spot in the pen by moving everyone down one spot.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 11-23-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'd like it if the Reds signed Cordero.

Sure, all relief pitchers are risky.

10 million/year isn't too much, when put in perspective.. I mean, Stanton and Weathers combine for around 6-7 million next year, and they are a much bigger crapshoot.

My main beef with the Reds' FA signings last year is that they spent all their money on spare parts, as opposed to guys that could actually make a difference. IMO, Cordero is a guy that could actually make a difference.
    Yep. If they can dump Stanton somehow, with Saarloos and Cormier already off the books, its not an unreasonable increase in the amount of payroll allocated to the pen. Meanwhile the talent level in the pen goes up significantly IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?