Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Senor Votto

Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Ken Rosenthal of foxsports.com reports that the Reds are one of three clubs in the running for free agent closer Francisco Cordero.

Cordero saved 44 games last year for Milwaukee and had a 2.98 ERA.

I've got a call into Wayne Krivsky. I doubt that he'll comment. But talking to other people with the Reds at the start of free agency, I got an inkling that Cordero was on their list. It makes sense. The club knows it has to upgrade pitching. Cordero would be an instant fix for the bullpen -- at lesser rate than a No. 3 starter. It will cost the Reds if they sign him. Rosenthal, citing sources, says Milwaukee offered Cordero $42 million for four years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds reportedly in on Cordero

I would be pretty happy with this. Money is getting up there but it would improve the team substantially

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I would be pretty happy with this. Money is getting up there but it would improve the team substantially
    I think Cordero would end the bullpen troubles.

Cordero as Closer
    Weathers as Set up man
    Burton as 7th inning pitcher
    And the addition of Coutlangus, Bray, Salmon, Pelland maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I think Cordero would end the bullpen troubles.

Cordero as Closer
    Weathers as Set up man
    Burton as 7th inning pitcher
    And the addition of Coutlangus, Bray, Salmon, Pelland maybe.
    It wouldnt end it but it would be a big improvement.

Weathers is too valuable in middle innings to be wasting him waiting for the 9th.

Less innings we have to give to guys like Coffey, Stanton, Coutlangus, Salmon, Mcbeth the better.

It would allow the younger guys to develop a bit instead of letting them learn on the job.

I personally love this idea. Just to add to what's already been said, this is from mlbtraderumors.com

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Reds have approached closer Francisco Cordero, and that the two sides are working towards a deal. This would figure to top the Brewers current offer of four years, $42 million. This would be a major step for a team that finished 18 games below .500 in baseball's worst division in 2007.

According to Rosenthal, the Reds have emerged as front runners. Competing are the Brewers and a mystery team, possibly the Yankees, who expressed interest in Cordero if Mariano Rivera bolted town. The closer has since returned, though, likely eliminating the Yankees from consideration. The Astros are also believed to be interested in Cordero, though the same can be said for about 80 percent of the free agent market.

This would move David Weathers back to a setup role, where he would fit in well. The Reds bullpen would still be weak, but at least they'd improve on their league-worst 54.8 percent save conversion rate.

It appears that the Reds front office believes the team can contend in the next two years. Why else give big money (and forfeit a second round pick) for a big-name closer? The Reds have considerable young talent in Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips, and Edwin Encarnacion, in addition to Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn.

Combined with Scott Hatteberg, who had an effective year in limited duty, the Reds might actually have a logjam of sorts in the outfield and first base. Could they possibly move some of the excess for some pitching help? Adding another bullpen arm or a starter to go along with Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, and Homer Bailey could be the keys to the Reds contention.

I dont know why people are so worried about the rotation though. Harang is as good as your going to get. Arroyo is solid enough to give you a good start most nights, Bailey is a question mark but also has the upside of a freakish levels, Belsile is far from terrible, and I really think Cueto makes the club out of spring training.

Fix the bullpen and this team is very solid.

I dont know why people are so worried about the rotation though. Harang is as good as your going to get. Arroyo is solid enough to give you a good start most nights, Bailey is a question mark but also has the upside of a freakish levels, Belsile is far from terrible, and I really think Cueto makes the club out of spring training.

Fix the bullpen and this team is very solid.
    Agreed. The bullpen is the problem. I don't think Cordero is the answer though.

I like him as a set up guy, but he was traded from the Rangers because he choked in nearly every important game, and he did the same with the Brewers. During the stretch last year when the Cubs caught the Brewers, Cordero had four blown saves in two weeks.
    Also, a four year deal to a closer is risky. Few relievers have more than 3-4 good years in them (just look at the Reds past relievers...Dibble, Shaw, Brantley, Graves, etc), and Cordero is starting his third year as a closer.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Agreed. The bullpen is the problem. I don't think Cordero is the answer though.

I like him as a set up guy, but he was traded from the Rangers because he choked in nearly every important game, and he did the same with the Brewers. During the stretch last year when the Cubs caught the Brewers, Cordero had four blown saves in two weeks.
    Also, a four year deal to a closer is risky. Few relievers have more than 3-4 good years in them (just look at the Reds past relievers...Dibble, Shaw, Brantley, Graves, etc), and Cordero is starting his third year as a closer.
    He might choke but does he choke less than our other options

Hypothetically:
    Wood at 10 million over two years or Cordero for 42-45 million over four?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    Hypothetically:
    Wood at 10 million over two years or Cordero for 42-45 million over four?

Why not both?

id probably go with Cordero. I refuse to trust Wood being healthy for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Why not both?
    Fine by me. I think I'd actually be more impressed with those two "gets" than any of the FA starters that might be available to the Reds.

Cordero is not a setup guy at all. He is the power closer that the team needs.
    He strikes out more than innings pitched. His highest ERA since 2002 is 3.70 and he has a career 3.29 ERA. One thing that's interesting is that he has a career BABIP of .317, while his career AVG against is .241, which suggests if he has a lucky BABIP one season he might be the best closer in the game. His career HR/9 is 0.64, which is very important in the GABP.

Also he has 177 career saves, so I don't see how you say he is starting his 3rd year closing unless he saved 90 games in the past 2 seasons.

Cordero is proven to be very good since 2002. He is a huge upgrade and is well worth the 12+ mil a year we'd get him for.

He might choke but does he choke less than our other options
    Agreed. Who knows, he might get better, and if not, maybe everyday eddie or Bry, or Burton will be able to close by mid season? Or possibly pick a closer in a mid season trade.

I would not be upset if they signed him, just a bit cautious.

I do like the fact that they are willing spend big bucks to improve the team.

This would solve the bullpen problems for a while. My only concern is the years. In four years he's going to be another David Weathers.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?