Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

just read it on ESPN...great news!!!
    Reds fan since 1970

I love it. Although there are some obvious risks involved with giving that much money to a closer, we had to get one. And he's a good one. Thanks for stepping up Cast.

Now, lets get Kerry Wood or Bartolo Colon to go with him.

baby let the season begin

Senor Votto

This is pretty exciting news.

Definite risks, but we basically solved 2 bullpen spots with this deal, move Weathers to his more comfortable setup role, and add a bonafide stud shutdown closer who wont' raise our BP every time the 9th inning starts

Hardly can say we overpayed considering the talent out there on the FA market. He was the best of the bunch.

Nice to see the Reds actually being proactive and landing the top FA pitcher out there.

yes sir an insentive laden contract for kerry wood and christmas looks a lot brighter!

BTW, the Brewers will get the Reds 2nd round pick in the draft since Cordero was a type A free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by BenHayes View Post
    yes sir an insentive laden contract for kerry wood and christmas looks a lot brighter!
    I agree. We could still go after Wood. Last I heard he wanted 2 yrs at $5M/year.

Now I'm just simply drooling at the idea that we sign Kerry Wood. Talk about going from one of the worst 8th-9th combos to one of the best. And he's only looking for a 2 yr/$10MM contract. Injury history aside, that looks like the best move from here on.

I have to say that I'm pretty happy about the move. WK does play his cards very close to the vest. Didn't see this one coming.

$46 million

Bob C & the Reds have to spend some money and take some risks if they want to compete. The 2006 & 2007 free agent classes were/are fairly weak. Subtract the guys who want to play on the coasts. Subtract the guys who resign with their current team. Subtract the guys who only want the huge huge money ( ie Zito, etc ) who were never going to come to the Reds.
    When you look at the pitchers left Cordero is one of the best if not the best. So the Reds got IMO the best pitcher likely to come here.

Not sure how I feel about the signing. Adding $11 million in payroll right away on a 32 year old reliever basically ends any additional spending by the team.

Burton looked to have closer's stuff last year, and now he's 5 years away from the closers job now in Cincinnati.

When was the last time we had a burner as closer?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the signing. Adding $11 million in payroll right away on a 32 year old reliever basically ends any additional spending by the team.

Burton looked to have closer's stuff last year, and now he's 5 years away from the closers job now in Cincinnati.
    I feel more comfortable having both guys in our bullpen. I liked Burton but Cordero has been pretty good for a long time while Burton just did it half a season.

Turn Off Ads?