Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

topsyt

Re: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

As to the money-it is simply the market -supply and demand-appears we got the best available to fill a huge need.
    What I don't know is how he will fit in the clubhouse-will he mentor our younger arms-team guy or all about me.
    Anybody got any insight on his personality.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    yea most fans are saying that he must not care about winning because he left a team with a future for one that doesnt have one.

:
    I have a biased opinion on this but I think the Reds have a bright future ahead as Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, and company matures.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I have a biased opinion on this but I think the Reds have a bright future ahead as Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, and company matures.
    Yea same here. Im probably just biased also. I mean Harang is awful to some people:ughmamoru

Crosley Field Fan

I like the move because it locks down the back of the games. This takes the pressure off the young guys while they learn and sends a positive message to the team and potential free agents that the Reds are going to make a move.

Some on the other board have lamented the fact that he will only pitch 70 innings per year.

A few thoughts...first these are critical innings where one mistake can cost the game...sorta of a sudden death approach to the game is required. A closer has a different mindset. THe Reds are getting more than an arm.

Second, while Coco is only pitching 70 innings, it will likely be in at least 70 games...nearly half the games the Reds will play this year. Starters pitch more innings but Cordero will have an impact on a lot more games than any single starting pitcher this year.

Third, the 1990 Reds proved that if you could make it a 6 inning game, you could find starters to get you to the 6th a lot easier than finding starters who need to get you to the 8th inning to win. (Last year only Harang could get to the eighth consistantly).

THat's what made the nasty boys so devastating. Other teams knew they had to get ahead of the Reds in the first couple times around the batting order or it was game over. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Good move all around.

Senor Votto

Yea same here. Im probably just biased also. I mean Harang is awful to some people:ughmamoru
    I always forget about this. If Harang is a 4th starter on any team then they must be stacked.

I always forget about this. If Harang is a 4th starter on any team then they must be stacked.
    Yea I wonder how the Cubs feel about Harang.

Yea I wonder how the Cubs feel about Harang.
    What does that mean?

I'm a Cubs fan, and I think Harang is very good.

Not all Cubs fans meet your preconceived stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba17 View Post
    What does that mean?

I'm a Cubs fan, and I think Harang is very good.

Not all Cubs fans meet your preconceived stereotype.
    I meant it as Harang has pretty much owned the cubs the last couple years. I wonder if they think hes just a scrub 4th of the rotation guy.

It was a little sarcasm, if thats the right word.

Nothing to do with the fans. It was just referring to people thinking Harang isnt good. It was more of a reference than anything.

No need to get worked up
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 11-24-2007 at 12:36 PM.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I like the move because it locks down the back of the games. This takes the pressure off the young guys while they learn and sends a positive message to the team and potential free agents that the Reds are going to make a move.

Some on the other board have lamented the fact that he will only pitch 70 innings per year.

A few thoughts...first these are critical innings where one mistake can cost the game...sorta of a sudden death approach to the game is required. A closer has a different mindset. THe Reds are getting more than an arm.

Second, while Coco is only pitching 70 innings, it will likely be in at least 70 games...nearly half the games the Reds will play this year. Starters pitch more innings but Cordero will have an impact on a lot more games than any single starting pitcher this year.

Third, the 1990 Reds proved that if you could make it a 6 inning game, you could find starters to get you to the 6th a lot easier than finding starters who need to get you to the 8th inning to win. (Last year only Harang could get to the eighth consistantly).

THat's what made the nasty boys so devastating. Other teams knew they had to get ahead of the Reds in the first couple times around the batting order or it was game over. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Good move all around.
    Agreed.
    While this is a big hunk to pay, it is almost like getting two relievers because of moving Weathers. With Cordero anchoring the 9th and hopefully the continuing emergence of Burton, I feel they could slide Weathers to the 7th or even 6th in some cases.
    Also if they use Burton 2-3 games in a rwo, you could rest him in favor of Stormy or rest Cordero in favor of Burton/ Stormy. Just alot more flexibilty now.

One gripe I've always had with the sabermetric blogosphere is the tendency to evaluate the money associated with signings according to the market as it was the last 1-3 seasons, not the market as it is now.

I think this is a hell of a signing, an absolute coup.

Does this mean that the Carl (Banana Man) Lindner era is now officially over?

Senor Votto

I'm going out on a limb and say Harang won't be pitching 10 innings in a game next year.

I'm going out on a limb and say Harang won't be pitching 10 innings in a game next year.
    well we still have dusty

A great thing about signing Cordero

is not just that we are instantly better but it has to hurt our inner division rival the Brewers. This was the one I really wanted!!!

Re: A great thing about signing Cordero

I agree. I wish we could hurt the Cardinals, but I don't think they have anyone we want.

Turn Off Ads?