Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #7 Prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Dorn

6 7.32%
  • Juan Francisco

2 2.44%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

7 8.54%
  • Matt Maloney

32 39.02%
  • Devin Mesoraco

4 4.88%
  • Tyler Pelland

1 1.22%
  • Josh Roenicke

14 17.07%
  • Adam Rosales

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

1 1.22%
  • Sean Watson

3 3.66%
  • Travis Wood

9 10.98%
  • Other

3 3.66%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #7

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #7

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #7 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Last edited by dougdirt; 11-22-2007 at 10:42 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #7

Doug, I think we have now voted the same all the way through.

Senor Votto

I voted for Maloney as the number 6 so I guess I'll vote for him as number 7.

I am going with Travis Wood on this one.

He is young, is a lefty, throws hard (low 90s) and has a plus plus offspeed pitch in his change up that has been described as the best change up in the minor leagues by some scouts. His injuries this year were not as bad as some believed and he pitched well in instructional league after the season. He also was making some strides with a curveball before getting shut down. Not sure how that went in instructional league.

It come down to Roenicke or Wood, and I decided to go with Wood since his velocity is reportedly back to where it was last year.

I know it's premature, but I've always been ahead of the curve, so I went with Kyle Lotzkar.

I voted Maloney for #5 & #6 so I'll keep voting for him until people agree with me

I also have been voting for Maloney on 5 and 6. He may actually win this time.

I voted Roenicke. I know he's a reliever and that limits his ceiling and his potential to be an extremely high impact guy, but, IMO, we've reached the portion of the list where the perspective needs to change. There are basically two types of players left to consider now. There are higher ceiling guys that the scouts love but have yet to show it on the field and there are guys who are less touted but have a record of performance that bodes well for them. Guys who have both of those things are basically the top 5 guys on the list. In the case of those players, ceiling is a huge consideration and is what separates Jay Bruce from Joey Votto. But, once you get past those guys, a lot more attention needs to be paid to the floor. Guys like Roenicke, Rosales and Maloney don't project to be TOR pitchers or 5 tool uber hitters, but they also have shown that they are probably going to eventually have a role in the majors. I compare that to a guy like Stubbs or Mesoraco who have to hit to reach the majors and haven't shown the ability yet. There are lots of defenders with speed and catchers with fundamentals. Without the bat, that is what these guys are. Bubba Crosby and Dane Sardinha.

So, when looking at the floor, the reliever becomes a lot more valuable. If Roenicke doesn't turn into Mr. Automatic 9th inning guy, he could easily still become a guy who comes in and puts out the fire in the 7th or 8th and in case you haven't been paying attention to the major league team since the destruction of Willamson, Sullivan and Graves, its a pretty necessary role if you actually want to win games. The beauty of it, is that he doesn't need to do something that he hasn't done in the minors. He does need to translate his success to the majors and that isn't a given, but I give a lot more consideration to a guy who just needs to carry what he's doing to the higher levels than I do to a guy who hasn't even done anything to translate yet. Roenicke IMO is the player who is most likely able to fill in important if not primary role at the major league level than any other player on the list. As a result, he gets my vote here and will continue to until he comes off the list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I went with "Other", as I think the next best guy is Pedro Viola. Although he isn't doing so well in AFL action, he seems to be moving quick and turning heads which tells me that alot of pro people have him another radar screen.

He throws more FB's than GB's but he has been stingy with contact quite often this season. His combined stats through 3 levels this season were as follows.

3-2 w/ a 1.42 ERA w/ 6 saves

82.1 IP, 55 Hits, 5 HR's, 30 BB's & 94 K's

Opposing batters are hitting .186 against him

His 2006 stats in the DSL are pretty similiar except he gave up no HR's.

Bottom line is he has basically went through or skipped over a total of 5 levels in 2 seasons. He very well could be the next impact arm that makes it up to the show and sticks.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think Wood is more of a 10-12 guy, this is a bit high, although I certainly have appreciated his success at the lower levels and hope he gets on track for a great career.

Smaller frame, listed at 5'11" and 166. Injuries, not a fireballer. Has a good changeup, which may or may not translate at the higher levels. Was considered a reach by many RedsZoners as a second round pick. BA didn't include him in its top ten this year.

Might consider him at 10-12 because of success in lower levels, particuarly at his young age, but a lot of guys do well at low A ball. Sean Watson blew away low A ball this year, 1.88 ERA. Wood had a 3.66 at that level. They both struggled at high A but Watson is a big guy and a hard thrower so he may be more projectable.

At number 7, I prefer Roenicke and Maloney who have broken through the AA barrier and performed at the higher levels.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-22-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Wood is more of a 10-12 guy, this is a bit high, although I certainly have appreciated his success at the lower levels and hope he gets on track for a great career.

Smaller frame, listed at 5'11" and 166. Injuries, not a fireballer. Has a good changeup, which may or may not translate at the higher levels. Was considered a reach by many RedsZoners as a second round pick. BA didn't include him in its top ten this year.

Might consider him at 10-12 because of success in lower levels, particuarly at his young age, but a lot of guys do well at low A ball. Sean Watson blew away low A ball this year, 1.88 ERA. Wood had a 3.66 at that level. They both struggled at high A but Watson is a big guy and a hard thrower so he may be more projectable.

At number 7, I prefer Roenicke and Maloney who have broken through the AA barrier and performed at the higher levels.
    My thoughts as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Wood was also 19 years old when he was in Low A while Watson was 21. Big difference. Not that Watson isn't a good prospect or doesnt have good stuff which he does, just saying he definately has age on his side a whole lot more.

I think Maloney is a capable starter who will be our 7th or 8th starter waiting in Louisville. I felt he was right behind Johnny C in the pecking order.

I voted for Maloney based on results because he is close to the major leagues. I think he'll start the season in the Reds rotation. He's 24, and the Reds didn't keep him in AA long. They chose, probably wrongly, to send Cueto back to AA, but Maloney stayed.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Turn Off Ads?