Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was cheaper to groom Burton

It was cheaper to groom Burton

to be the closer, thats what the reds used to do, find eastwick, hume, shaw, groom their own closer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It was cheaper to groom Burton

Some fans are never happy. The Reds tried to groom Coffey. How did that one work out?

now we are grooming him to be our ace releiver, which is actually a better allocation of resources...

Senor Votto

I'd like to see Burton as a closer one day but I'm happy with Cordero as the closer for now.

got alil captain in u?

yes it would of been cheaper but how long would it have taken. Baker wants a win now mentality that's why they went out and got a proven veteran closer. Burton will be a great reliever for us i see him more in the set up role anyway.

coffey was always garbage check out his hits per innings coffey at his best is one fifth the pitcher of burton

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    coffey was always garbage check out his hits per innings coffey at his best is one fifth the pitcher of burton
    I think it was fairly obvious to everyone that in 2006 the Reds were grooming Coffey to be the Reds closer of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    I think it was fairly obvious to everyone that in 2006 the Reds were grooming Coffey to be the Reds closer of the future.

It was, then when he folded under pressure and continued to do so, plan B was needed. Plan B(urton) as it turned out was going to be closer, but he had serious controll issues at first and I really believe he WILL be closer (Once again, two pitch overwhelming closer type) which is why Cordero was brought in. You dont need to rely on Burton till need be. Put Burton in situation where he gains confidence in his pitches and keep going from there.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I like Burton in any situation. I would rather have him in the seventh though, because that would be a testament to how good this bullpen has become.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It also would be cheaper to trade Dunn, Griffey, Harang, Arroyo, etc. In turn, the Reds would be a much worse team. This is the first time since the Griffey trade that the owner of Reds has showed they actually want to put a competitive team out there. If you don't love that, you can't be pleased.

Use the Indians model, where you pitch the best pitchers in the 6th, 7th, 8th in the most high leverage situations. Burton can be one of those guys that's used to get our SP out of trouble, or pitch against the 2/3/4 spots against the other team. This spot in relied might be more important than the closer. A good closer like Cordero, and Burton & Weathers combined just makes it more of a 7 inning game.

this guy makes the worst threads on this board.

Jared Burton had an outstanding year last year as a set-up man, and we should continue keeping him in that role for now. The future will take care of itself.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    this guy makes the worst threads on this board.
    please save it for the pm circuit big guy...

The idea of grooming our own closer is always better in theory but, since danny graves' collapse it hasn't exactly worked out in our favor... I approve of the Cordero signing even though it may be expensive. It really establishes the Reds' window for success. 3 more years with Arroyo/Harang and 4 with Cordero. 6 years of all of the young guys and I'm not sure how many years of Arbitration BP has left. All we have to do is resign AD to a LTC and our "core" players will be set for quite some time...

Wasn't Burton only good for half the season? After the all-star break? Lets give Burton a little more time.

I like Burton, but I would rather have someone that has been a proven closer.

Turn Off Ads?