Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Freakin' Road Rage Idiots

Crazy Freakin' Road Rage Idiots

Ok. So today I was driving home and reached a stop sign one house down from where I live. I stop there slightly ahead of a black truck at the stop sign on my left. From there, I move into the intersection and notice that the truck didn't actually stop at the stop sign. At that point, I had two options:

1. Hit the brakes and risk being hit on the driver's side.

2. Accelerate into my street knowing that the guy has enough time to stop after he sees me.

So I took option 2. But the guy doesn't stop. In fact, he accelerates. Yeah. He sped up. Apparently, he got so ticked off after I (with the right-of-way) pulled out in front of his faux "California Stop" that he tried to rush right through me. Was he drunk? I dunno. That's a legit concern on a Sunday around 4:00 PM in these parts. Football and all. But he was sure stupid. No accident, thankfully. I swerved at the last nano-second to avoid a two-car crunch. And keep in mind that the speed limit on my street is 15 miles per hour. There's no way this moron could have possibly been unable to avoid me pulling out from a stop sign.

Oh, but it doesn't stop there...

I pull into my driveway and notice that he's stopped his truck about 20 feet past my property. From there, he gets out of the truck and literally sprints up to my car (on my property) yelling, "You got a problem with me?!" over and over again. Like the smart guy I am, I stayed in the car with the doors locked and just tried to calm him down. Luckily, my brain overcame my instincts at this point. I wanted to get out of the car and beat this guy down in a proper fashion for trying to crash into me and then coming onto my property in an offensive posture, but there's no advantage to be gained from a poor offensive position. My insticts were all offense but my brain went all "Sun Tzu".

As an aside, I've been kidnapped and had bullets flying a foot over my head. I've dealt with random fights thoughout my life. But don't get out of the car in this situation ever. Don't care how tough you are. You just never know exactly how crazy the other guy is. He is an unknown quantity. And if the guy is right outside your door, you're in an awful offensive and defensive position.

So moving on...

Then the dude grabs the car door as if he's going to pull me out of the car. It's locked, but it's not like he's been smart so far. Like I said...crazy. So I reach for my cell to call 911, my wife comes out of the house, and the pudgy little mullet-haired mustachioed white-trash moron figures out he needs to leave, but not before he points a finger at me and exclaims, "You've been warned!" Yeah. Apparently, I'd been warned not to pull into an intersection while having the right of way in front of a possibly-drunk ill-mannered sub-human. That ranks up there with "Don't play with uranium" on my list of potentially-useful advice.

But here's the kicker...

Rather than driving around the block a couple times, the dolt actually pulls into his own driveway about a block down the street. That allows us to jump into our other car- camcorder and notebook in-hand- and identify his truck, licence number, and home address. Yeah, we call the cops. Seriously, had the guy just gone down a few blocks then driven around a while, we'd have gone inside. Wouldn't have the plate, truck type (other than "black"), or address.

Anyone else have something like this happen? If so, I'd love to hear your story, what you did about it, and the aftermath.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Crazy Freakin' Road Rage Idiots

No fireworks here, but a whole different kind of idiocy.

I was turning onto a neighborhood street behind another car. My then-pregnant wife was in the passenger seat. The speed limit is 30 mph.

The car in front of me turns at about 5 mph and doesn't accelerate. At all. He maintains the 5 mph speed for about 500 feet. I accelerated *as one normally would* (not lead-footing it), and end up having to slow down to avoid rear-ending the guy.

No, I hadn't been tailgating the guy beforehand. He had been waiting to turn left at the light for some time before I pulled up behind him. But at this point, I did get too close to him for a brief moment because, silly me, I expected him to actually drive instead of creep along.

He travels about two blocks at this speed. I'm cursing, and my wife is cursing. I'm maintaining the two-second following distance required by law, but at 5 mph, that distance is pretty short. Finally, the guy signals to turn left. And stops. No traffic. He just stops.

Then he starts to turn. I start to move forward. He stops again. He's clearly trying to provoke me. I swerve around him and honk.

He comes after me. I turn on my street, and he follows, so I pull over a few houses short of my place. He pulls up behind me and gets out of his car. I tell my wife to grab her cell phone, then I roll down the window and start telling the guy to get back in his car. He is an average, middle-aged guy and is relatively calm, but he proceeds to say something about, "You probably don't understand because you probably don't have children, but I've got two little girls in the car, and..."

My wife and I both cut him off with a chorus of "You've got kids in the car, and you think it's a good idea to start a confrontation by driving like a jerk, following someone home, and getting out of your car?"

He doesn't quite see the irony of the situation, and he continues telling me that I was right on his bumper.

I explain (yell) I was on his bumper because he was going 5 mph in a 30 mph zone. I also explain (yell, but not as loudly now) that he's extremely lucky I'm a nice person, because I could just as easily have been a drunken idiot who would have beaten him senseless and left him bleeding in the street while his two little daughters watched.

That finally seemed to register, and he turned and went back to his car muttering something about "don't follow so close". My wife and I just laughed.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I once had a situation similar to Steel's while in college, but I drove about 50 feet and pulled into my fraternity house parking lot. The dude obviously intoxicated in some manner, decided he was going to chase me down. I had gotten out of my car before I realized what was going on. He caught on real quick after he got out of his early nineties Honda Accord, that he had bit off more than he could chew, because I had 4 inches, and probably 60 pounds on the guy, and at the same time a group of my fraternity brothers were walking around the corner. He got back in his car and left fast, yelling "You better learn about taking turns punk". Obviously he was a follower of Emily Post.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

The vast majority of problems I have with other drivers involve those who drive pick ups for some reason....they tend to be angry, impatient, drive like maniacs, and scary stupid.

Apologies to those who drive them, who don't fit that growing stereotype. Heck I drove one for a while in college.

Live over in Clermont County for a while and you'll know what I mean possibly.

I think I AM one of those people. I am not a patient driver. A fairly good one, I think, but completely intolerant of other drivers.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The vast majority of problems I have with other drivers involve those who drive pick ups for some reason....they tend to be angry, impatient, drive like maniacs, and scary stupid.

Apologies to those who drive them, who don't fit that growing stereotype. Heck I drove one for a while in college.

Live over in Clermont County for a while and you'll know what I mean possibly.
    I drive one, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Usually the problems I have are from people who try to intimidate other people into speeding up or getting over. I have been know to help out other people who are being taunted. I like to block people in who are going way too fast and driving way too irratically. I don't do it if it would cause a real danger to anybody though. I also hate when the right lane clearly ends when getting onto 71 N from Smith Edwards, but people still come flying up the right lane in heavy traffic as because they are apparently in a bigger hurry to get home than the rest of us. They proceed to try to squeeze in further up in the line. I don't let people like that get in front of me and that has gotten plenty of people mad at me. There is a difference between being in the wrong lane and not realizing it and intentionally getting over to get ahead of your fellow motorists because you think your time is more important than others.

On Clough, people apparenly think that when someone is turning left on green and another person from the other side is turning right, the person turning left has the right of way. That has happened to me twice in the last few days. If I hadn't been watching, there would have been an accident.

32 has more than it's share of stupid people. I've had plenty of people do their best to kill me and other people, especially around the 275 exits. You can be as careful as you want, but you can't prevent stupid. People changing lanes every 5 seconds and driving way to fast in bad conditions are what causes most of the accidents that slow the rest of us up when we try to get home.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Steel, you are stronger than I am. Maybe its my youth.... but if someone walked to my car like that at least one of us would have been going to jail within the next 25 minutes. You made the right decision of course.... people are crazy though. How did that guy know that you weren't a lunatic who carries a gun in the car with him? He does that to the wrong person and he isn't walking back to his car.

If people are driving like an idiot, I move over and let them by. If they want to do something stupid, they are more than welcome to it as long as they don't involve me.

I figure that if you drive that stupidly long enough, that person will get their just rewards. They'll get a ticket or get killed soon enough.

I can't think of anything more stupid than to get into a shouting match, a fight, a wreck, get shot, etc. all because of you don't like how someone drives. I mean, why does it prove?

Pay attention to the open sky

My only controbution, and it's pretty mild, is that when someone zooms up behind me rides my bumper I like to hit the windshield washer fluid.....for a good long time....... I might have even read about that trick here on RZ. In any event, it usually gets the point across and they back off.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

"The only thing we all have in common is that we all think we are above average drivers."
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    "The only thing we all have in common is that we all think we are above average drivers."
    I actually think I am a fairly average driver. I just think that almost everybody else is way, way below average.

What is up with people driving right at or even five miles below the speed limit in the left-hand lane????
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Emotion should be separated from operating any kind of moving vehicle. Many people fail to understand that while you own a vehicle, you share the road in order to operate that vehicle as a means of transportation. Using the road is a privilege, not a right. I don't get annoyed at irregular driving - because it is everywhere. You have to be aware at all times of what drivers around you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Emotion should be separated from operating any kind of moving vehicle. Many people fail to understand that while you own a vehicle, you share the road in order to operate that vehicle as a means of transportation. Using the road is a privilege, not a right. I don't get annoyed at irregular driving - because it is everywhere. You have to be aware at all times of what drivers around you are doing.
    I think you're right; I wish I could be that even-tempered about it. Honestly I think the road just bears the brunt of my venting. I am very diplomatic at work and try very hard not to fight with people I care about; I get into maybe one or two fights a year with people I know. So I yell at the idiots on the road instead. I see them as more deserving than anyone else since I'm also neurotic about time and I see them as often taking time and energy away from me (not because of lack of speed, just sheer idiocy). I do try not to let it affect the actual WAY that I drive -- and I'm very careful and aware -- but it's the rare trip in the car in which I don't become enraged at some godawful driver who stops in the middle of an intersection or tailgates or weaves and doesn't use his turn signal or speeds outrageously or crawls ridiculously or forgets that deer use this road too. Your car is a weapon, dude. It is not made out of a cloud. If you are stupid or in attentive (don't even get me started on the cell phone drivers), your weapon will hurt someone.

It's a somewhat arbitrary venting outlet. I whined all the time when I rode public transportation too, and I love public transportation.

I think it was Grorge Carlin who said something like everyone who drives faster than him is a maniac and everyone who drives slower is an idiot.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?