Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wise to Trade Hamilton?

Wise to Trade Hamilton?

I see why the Reds are shopping Hamilton, but I think they are shopping him the way that other teams are shopping Snell & Kazmir. The article about Snell said that the Pitt braintrust was mulling over whether or not to dangle Snell.... that's like saying "they're thinking about.. thinking about trading him"... so, in other words its unlikely they'll trade him unless they're blown away. I think the same can be said for Hamilton. He's a superstar in the making and not some time in the distant future ... but this year probably. Unless Wayne knows something that we don't, about injuries or chance of relapse, then there's basically zero risk that this kid will not hit superstar status real soon and, not to mention, be under team control for a number of years.

Then, why would the Reds even think of trading him? The same article that mentions Snell, mentions Hamilton http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=3121887
    The article states, refering to Hamilton
    "It really makes you wonder about his health," said an official of one team that spoke with them, "and whether all that time he missed took more of a toll than we thought."
    People have a hard time believing that Hamilton's available unless there's a catch, which should let you know how highly other teams think of him.

We've seen deals being discussed of (Matt Kemp and others) for Bedard, and we've discussed how Hamilton is better than Matt Kemp. So, I say that WK shops a package of (Hamilton and Maloney) for Bedard, Kazmir, Snell or others of that caliber and if teams say no, then we keep Hamilton.

I think WK will pick up a couple pitching prospects for fringe players and/or prospects that won't hurt too much to lose and then at the All-Star break if we're in a position to win, we revisit the Hamilton for an ace type deal w/ a team that's out of contention.

I've seen people, especially on the org say Hamilton for Garza... I read one post that said Hamilton and EdE for Garza... WHAT?!! That's crazy!! No way we give up Hamilton for a pitching prospect... If we can't get a bonafide 1/2 for him, we hold onto him and see what happens, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wise to Trade Hamilton?

I see no problem in trading Hamilton or anyone else for that matter if it makes the ballclub better right now. For too many years the Reds have been getting younger and now it seems that Castellini wants to compete. So if trading Hamilton can make the Reds a better ballclub immediately, then do it...

I think we need to sit on him another year.

I think the GM talking about Hamilton's health problems is just posturing to lower the pricetag for Hamilton. It's a smart move. I think he's a desired commodity but other teams are trying to get him cheap. The Twins are in the market for a CFer. So are other teams.

It's simple math..........you're not going to get a #1, 2, or even possibly a 3 starter for just Hamilton. He'll have to be packaged with someone or several someone's, depending on which number starter we try and get. If we don't get sufficient return, then you don't trade him, sit on him a year, hoping he stays healthy and produces. We have Bruce in the wings and KGJ's contract will be up.

It's the same as always. Depends on the return. The hope is that WK doesn't trade him for pittance. He has not shown the inclination to make low return trades to date. So I'm not worried.

Hamilton + Stubbs/Maloney for Ian Snell

Ian Snell is cheap for several more years just like Hamilton, and I'll always take a proven starting pitcher over an oft-injured outfielder like Hamilton...

I wouldn't be "trying" to trade hamilton, but if the offer was right, i'd send him packing.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I wouldn't be "trying" to trade hamilton, but if the offer was right, i'd send him packing.
    I am not of the opinion that the Reds need another big name starter to compete in the NL Central. So I see no need for them to trade Hamilton or any of their prospects for a top of the line SP.

No one in the division has a better 1-2 than Harang and Arroyo, and either Belisle or Bailey will have a solid year. Cordero will only make them better.

The Reds really just need two back end starters to fill out the staff, and I think that those can be picked up when teams non-tender players later on. Also, I think Freel can get a #5 starter. There are also plenty of quality arms that are coming off injury years that could be had for incentive filled contracts.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Of course you listen to offers, but shopping him just brings his value down.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Shopping a player can also kickstart a bidding frenzy...you just never know Tex.

got alil captain in u?

you can shop soembody but u dont' always have to buy. There's no problem with playing the market to see what you can get for a player. If the right deal comes along u pull the trigger if it doesnt you hold on to him. Playing the field is always a good option.

Senor Votto

Get a package involving Hamilton for Bedard and I'll be one happy Reds fan.

Harang
    Bedard
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto or Belisle

Not too shabby of a rotation.

You listen to offers, but you don't trade him unless you are blown away. I agree that teams are trying to get him on the cheap, and that GM's comment about his health was designed to do just that. Hamilton can bring a #3 starter by himself, and a #2 if he is packaged with another prospect. I really believe his trade value is that high, and he will have an outstanding year for the Reds next year if he is not traded.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

hippie07 - I agree with you 100%. I've been expressing the same feelings/concerns, as you have here, since the end of the season. To the others not in agreement with hippie, consider this: Josh Hamilton, in my opinion, gives the Reds the best chance of having a player on this team win the batting title since Pete Rose(which translates roughly into around 200 hits/600+ or- ABs/per season). Many thought Danny Driessen would win at least one batting title bak in the '70s, but if you are/were one of those people, then Josh Hamilton should win 3 or 4. Not saying he will, but I am saying Hamilton is a much better hitter than Driessen was(what does this have to do with anything you ask- I'm making the point of how rare this type of player has been on the Reds). Further, why trade anyone with the awesome potential of Hamilton, Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto and Maloney that the Reds have under their control for at least the next 5 years? A pitcher like Johan Santana could leave the Reds after the 2008 season, so why rent a pitcher at the expense of talents like the above named six? Trade veterans for veterans, keep the payroll as fluid as possible.

I don't risk a decade of entirely possible greatness (with what the Reds have locked in above) for a quick fix for now.

The following I would do but with much apprehension- Trade Hamilton only for a pitcher deemed to be available that is named Bedard or Kazmir maybe Dan Harren if he is healthy. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I don't think Tampa Bay would want Josh Hamilton back IF it meant trading Kazmir for him.

All in all, I give Bailey, Cueto and Maloney the chance to pitch for the Reds beginning Opening Day 2008. Then I go full out for the Free Agent Starting Pitchers available after the '08 season. Krivsky would have a much better feel for the team and its up and coming stars. I just wouldn't mortgage the future of the Reds for a quick fix.

Honestly, I'm not the conservative type, I'd rather see the Reds do whatever is possible to win now because I'm so sick of losing and would consider doing anything short of a felony to see the Reds take it all in 2008 .... but I think we have a good shot at it or at least the division w/ what we have now... if WK can pick up another SP which I think he'll do either by getting a 1/2 year FA fill-in or by making a shrewd deal w/ Freel and/or Hatteberg... so in this scenario - I really don't see us having to sacrifice the 2008 season, we can still have fun and take a division title, but then comes the sweet part...

In 2009, we'll have the best and cheapest lineup in all of baseball, even a re-signing of Dunn will still make our lineup dirt cheap!!

Hamilton
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Dunn
    Votto
    Encarnacion
    Gonzalez
    Ross

So, in 09 we can go hog-wild in the FA market .... From projections I've seen.. we'll have somewhere around 20mil to spend in the FA market if we have a payroll similar to what we'll start the year w/ this year.....

I don't know... being competitive in 08 and having the luxury of buying the players in 09 to put us over the top, sounds pretty nice to me

Turn Off Ads?