Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pancreatic cancer help.

Pancreatic cancer help.

I have a very young friend that has benn diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and according to her, it has spread to her bladder, she doesn't seem to have much hope on living very much longer. Is their anything I can tell her or anything out there that might help her out? She is probably my best friend and it just makes me sick to think about the possibility of losing her.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pancreatic cancer help.

Just be her friend and help her deal with her cancer. My prayers go out to her.

My mother in law passed away from pancreatic cancer. They can try to treat it, and they do have some experimental stuff going on, but it's a very tough cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Just be her friend and help her deal with her cancer. My prayers go out to her.

My mother in law passed away from pancreatic cancer. They can try to treat it, and they do have some experimental stuff going on, but it's a very tough cancer.

Yea, thats what I'm trying to do. It's hard though, I'm trying to gather all the information I can to try and help her.

The one optimistic (and true) thing I can say is that pancreatic cancer is rarer in younger people, and so doctors aren't always sure how young bodies will react. Sometimes they are better able to fight these tough cancers than the typical older patient is. Cancer itself in younger people is also more aggressive, but if there are pleasant surprises with tough cancers they are often in younger patients.

The bladder is also not the absolute worst place it could have spread. Do you happen to know what stage the pancreatic cancer is, and whether it has spread anywhere else? I assume she's having surgery...any idea what kind of treatment they're planning for her after that? (If it's aggressive chemo, that's actually a good sign.)

Really, though, of course the best you can do is what you've both said: just be there and listen and try to perceive whether she needs a distraction or a shoulder. And make sure you are dealing with your own feelings about this too.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Good luck to you and your friend. The only advice I can think of at the moment is to point out a silver lining when necessary.

My best friend's dad died of pancreatic cancer. He was way too young. I wear the purple bracelet every day to show my support.

I'm sorry for you and your friend. I really hope she gets better.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

The only advice I can give, is to tell her not to give up hope. The body is an amazing machine, but it won't function to its full capabilities if the brain has given up on it. It's crazy the stories you hear about people beating the medical odds just because they refused to let themselves fall victim to an illness.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    The only advice I can give, is to tell her not to give up hope. The body is an amazing machine, but it won't function to its full capabilities if the brain has given up on it. It's crazy the stories you hear about people beating the medical odds just because they refused to let themselves fall victim to an illness.

Yea, I tell her something to that effect everyday, sometimes she is upbeat and positive and sometimes I get the feeling she wants to give up. I just tell her to keep on fightin' and ya never know what can happen. She's hangin in the alright.

I have a friend that (so far) has survived pancreatic cancer. He is in his late 60s. A couple years ago they operated on him and were able to remove part of the Pancreas and he's been OK ever since. He is somewhat diabetic now and has some problems putting on weight but he feels pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have a friend that (so far) has survived pancreatic cancer. He is in his late 60s. A couple years ago they operated on him and were able to remove part of the Pancreas and he's been OK ever since. He is somewhat diabetic now and has some problems putting on weight but he feels pretty good.

Thats good to hear. I hope my friend has the same fortune as yours.

Turn Off Ads?