Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for a front-line starter?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Bailey

14 20.29%
  • Trade Cueto

5 7.25%
  • Trade Both

14 20.29%
  • Trade Neither

36 52.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for 1 frontline starter?

Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for 1 frontline starter?

With all the trade talk swirling around, I thought this was a good question to ask. Pitching prospects are not a sure thing, and I would be interested to know what you think. Would you trade Bailey? Cueto? Both of them? or neither to acquire a front line starter. I personally would like to keep both of them if possible, and prefer to trade a combination of our positional player prospects to acquire a front-line starter. I think both Bailey and Cueto will become front-line starters in a short period of time, and I would prefer to develop my own prospects rather than acquiring a more expensive front-line starter from another organization. I will now create a poll, and listen to what the rest of you think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for 1 frontline starter?

YOu give up a future that you might not be able to replace, besides the difference in their salary versus the salary you would have to pay to keep whoever you got. KEEP THEM!!

Id have no problem trading either or both for a front line starter as long as that starter isnt a 1 year rental and has no signablilty to this team

Agreed. Prospects are just that, prospects. I would rather the Reds have a player with proven success. But, they must be signed for at least the next two seasons, if not three and not be a GB pitcher.

Frank Pastore, Pat Pacillo, Jack Armstrong, Scott Scudder, Tim Pugh, John Roper, Rob Bell, Brandon Claussen. Would you have traded any of them for Maddux or Glavine?

The key is how good the frontline starter is. Neither guy will be better than Santana or Webb, or Beckett, or Sabathia, or Bedard. So IMHO, the extra salary is worth the certainty in their cases. But I can't think of anyone else I can say that about.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

trade one of the hitters, hamilton or votto

FOR IAN SNELL!!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I'd have no problem trading either or both for a front line starter as long as that starter isnt a 1 year rental and has no signablilty to this team.
    Agreed. Prospects are just that, prospects. I would rather the Reds have a player with proven success. But, they must be signed for at least the next two seasons, if not three and not be a GB pitcher.
    Frank Pastore, Pat Pacillo, Jack Armstrong, Scott Scudder, Tim Pugh, John Roper, Rob Bell, Brandon Claussen. Would you have traded any of them for Maddux or Glavine?

The key is how good the frontline starter is. Neither guy will be better than Santana or Webb, or Beckett, or Sabathia, or Bedard. So IMHO, the extra salary is worth the certainty in their cases. But I can't think of anyone else I can say that about.
    I agree with all these statements. How many pitching prospects are we going to wait until they have no trade value? You should always go for the proven commodity. By the time Bailey or Cueto are in a groove, it's probably 3-5 years down the road and we'll have to pay them anyway.
    Who's on first?

BaseClogger are you going to post "...trade for Ian Snell" in every thread?? I can tell you like the player (rightfully so), but I feel if the Reds don't get Ian Snell you might jump off a building.

I get it. You like Ian Snell.

It is so enticing to think that next year is the year that Bailey & Cueto make great strides... so in 2009 or 2010 they slide right into #1 and #2 of our rotation for the next 3-5 years... and so, some people are very hesitant to trade them.

I voted for "trade both" and I'd rather trade one, but, for example the Rays want pitching prospectS (plural) for Kazmir ... and if we could get Kazmir I'd give up both Bailey & Cueto.... In a perfect world though, I'd keep at least one.

But for all the reasons already mentioned... I'd rather have a proven ace for 3yrs (like Kazmir) than 5 yrs of two potential aces ... so, many times potential is never reached, for whatever the reason... I'd take the sure thing every day of the week.

That is always the risk when you talk about potential. The Devil Rays took the time necessary to develop Kazmir, but now find they cannot afford to keep him. I think both Bailey and Cueto are not that far away. I could see Bailey becoming a successful starter this year or in 2009, and I think the same about Cueto. Johnny could get exposure this year, and be ready in 2009. I think both starters could be producing as early as 2009. It's easy to say you want a proven ace, but neither Bailey or Cueto has really had the chance to prove themselves. We will all be kicking ourselves if we trade either Bailey or Cueto and they do turn out to be as good as any other frontline starting pitcher

Crosley Field Fan

Good question...but my answer is always...depends on who it is. For the right starter that is young enough to anchor the rotation for 4-5 years...probably. For any number one starter...No thank you.

Ideally, Cueto and Bailey become number 1-2s in the next 2-3 years.
    Potential does not always translate into production.
    So...it depends.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I just don't think there's enough information here to answer the question properly. Do I consider Bailey or Cueto "untouchable"? No. Would I think long and hard before dealing them? Of course.

In my mind, the closest thing to "untouchables" the Reds have are Bruce and Harang.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    That is always the risk when you talk about potential. The Devil Rays took the time necessary to develop Kazmir, but now find they cannot afford to keep him. I think both Bailey and Cueto are not that far away. I could see Bailey becoming a successful starter this year or in 2009, and I think the same about Cueto. Johnny could get exposure this year, and be ready in 2009. I think both starters could be producing as early as 2009. It's easy to say you want a proven ace, but neither Bailey or Cueto has really had the chance to prove themselves. We will all be kicking ourselves if we trade either Bailey or Cueto and they do turn out to be as good as any other frontline starting pitcher
    Would we really kick ourselves if giving them away to get Kazmir is an integral part of the Reds winning a Series in 08 or 09... I doub it...

IF (and at this point that's still a big if) they become #1 or #2 starters, we'll prob say... man it woulda been nice to have held onto them.. but wasn't it exciting watching those playoffs and the champagne-popping....

If we hold onto our young position players (Hamilton, Bruce, Votto, etc) we can easily afford FA starting pitching in the distant future (especially w/ world series caliber revenue) - so we won't ruin the future of the ballclub .. it might just save it in fact.....

As a small market club, the chances of a dynasty are slim to none. Therefore, a chance to win every once in awhile is our best hope. Better to take the sure thingie as opposed to hope a prospect turns out alright.
    Who's on first?

The problem is that there are no sure things. Kazmir could very well blow out his arm, or we could find out that he is not the pitcher in GABP he was in Tampa Bay. I don't think landing one frontline starting pitcher will take us to the playoffs by himself. We could very well have Harang, Arroyo and Kazmir all win 20 games, but the relievers in the 6th and 7th innings blow 20 games in the last 2 spots in the rotation. This scenario is also counting heavily on the fact that our position players step up, and have us competitive enough to challenge in the NL Central. There really are all sort of risks if you trade the best 2 starting pitching prospects the Reds have had in 20 years, and then find out Kazmir, Harang, and Arroyo are unable to take the Reds to the playoffs by themselves.

Turn Off Ads?