Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Comps for top Reds prospects?

Re: Comps for top Reds prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think the Reds are in the conversation to pay 20+ million for one player and that is what Santana is going to be getting. As for Haren, I would say he is looking at 15+ million easy once his contract is up given the market so long as he stays healthy.
    I didn't think the Reds would spend 10 mill/year for a closer but Bob did. You just never know I'd say. I just don't understand how a guy who comps to Larry Walker gets placed in an Al Gore style lockbox (no political view here...just referring to SNL skit...don't press the panic button anyone) and isn't allowed to come out in trade discussions revolving around arguably 3 of the top 15 pitchers in the majors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No, but thats not how this deal is. We are talking 6 years versus 2 and 3 years. Big Difference.
    thanks doug you responded for me...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I didn't think the Reds would spend 10 mill/year for a closer but Bob did. You just never know I'd say. I just don't understand how a guy who comps to Larry Walker gets placed in an Al Gore style lockbox (no political view here...just referring to SNL skit...don't press the panic button anyone) and isn't allowed to come out in trade discussions revolving around arguably 3 of the top 15 pitchers in the majors.
    Because MVP type hitters are more valuable than CY Young type pitchers. Pitching may win championships, but hitting all year gets you to that point where that pitching matters.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    thanks doug you responded for me...
    Who in here forsaw Arroyo getting signed long term...I've already said...it would be hard for me to go along with a trade for a 2 year rental. But I guess I am giving the front office too much credit and have too much faith in them. I realize the ramifications of the 6 years before FA vs the 2 years say Bedard has left.

Because MVP type hitters are more valuable than CY Young type pitchers. Pitching may win championships, but hitting all year gets you to that point where that pitching matters.
    Also, pitching is more volatile year to year and pitchers generally suffer more injuries. Therefore, it is wiser to invest LTC in hitters than pitchers. To me, the best way to build a team is to develope cheap young pitching and piece together a rag-tag offense with some of the undervalued FA's...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Who in here forsaw Arroyo getting signed long term...I've already said...it would be hard for me to go along with a trade for a 2 year rental. But I guess I am giving the front office too much credit and have too much faith in them. I realize the ramifications of the 6 years before FA vs the 2 years say Bedard has left.
    Arroyo was a little different. He wasn't set to make $20 million a year on the market...

I think Jay Bruce will be able to produce anywhere, but if he calls Great American Ballpark home, I think there will be a noticeable difference in his home/road splits.

I'm ready to be called nuts but wen I watched clips of Maloney this summer my mind went back a generation to a hall-of-famer named Don Sutton. Sutton's fastball was mnerely average but he was Curveball hell for a batter. Different looks, different planes, sharp breaks, decent command and a master of mixing up things so his fb looked faster and he rarely hung his curves. Now definitely I'd call Sutton the absolute ceiling and I want to see Matt's K rate stay up at AAA but color me impressed. Sometimes we wear fireballer blinders but Maloney impresses me. I think his floor is a #5 and you've already seen where I see his ceiling. With Bailey and Cueto he is glove fit, too - a great complement to Homer's hard stuff and Cueto's slider.

Turn Off Ads?