Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comps for top Reds prospects?

Re: Comps for top Reds prospects?

I actually compared Cueto to Ian Snell a while back. Mario Soto also comes to mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ortiz has a different body today than in 1996. Who knows what Francisco will look like in say 2014? You put 40 lbs on Juan and I'll bet you see a lot of similarities in the two of them. Their numbers in single A are very comparable, if you look at hits, HR's and RBI's.
    They are both big,left handed hitters and Juan will be playing 1B or DH at some point in his career. Don't forget at one point in 2003, David (Arias) Ortiz was cut by the Twins. The fans in Beantown are still pretty happy about that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Ortiz has a different body today than in 1996. Who knows what Francisco will look like in say 2014? You put 40 lbs on Juan and I'll bet you see a lot of similarities in the two of them. Their numbers in single A are very comparable, if you look at hits, HR's and RBI's.
    They are both big,left handed hitters and Juan will be playing 1B or DH at some point in his career. Don't forget at one point in 2003, David (Arias) Ortiz was cut by the Twins. The fans in Beantown are still pretty happy about that.
    RBI is not exactly a repeatable stat. The big difference between the two players is Ortiz has always understood strikezone judgement and Francisco swings at everything thrown that isn't behind him (slight exaggeration). Oritz hit nearly 60 points higher in batting average department, probably thanks to his understanding of the strikezone. As far as 40 pounds on JF... well that still leaves him about 20-30 pounds short of where Ortiz is.

They list Ortiz at 237 and Francisco at 180. I saw Francisco in person at least 15 times this year and there is no way he 180 lbs.He has to be at least 220 lbs. Logan Parker is also about 220 lbs. No doubt Juan strikes out way too much. He does have tremendous power though. Hopefully he can learn some plate discipline. You can get him out with 2 curve balls in dirt and a fastball up out of the zone most of the time.
    Last edited by Redman15; 11-27-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    They list Ortiz at 237 and Francisco at 180. I saw Francisco in person at least 15 times this year and there is no way he 180 lbs.He has to be at least 220 lbs. Logan Parker is also about 220 lbs. No doubt Juan strikes out way too much. He does have tremendous power though. Hopefully he can learn some plate discipline. You can get him out with 2 curve balls in dirt and a fastball up out of the zone most of the time.
    180??? I had no idea they had him listed there. He is at least 205-210 lbs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Joey Votto-I always think Ryan Klesko
    Waring-Troy Glaus?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Votto just reminds me of Will Clark. Can't really explain why.

I like the Votto-Klesko comparison.

Some others:

Dorn - Good comp, Brad Hawpe (corner OF, LH platoon hitter with power); not so good comp, Jorge Piedra
    Stubbs - Ruben Rivera
    Last edited by M2; 11-28-2007 at 01:08 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I actually compared Cueto to Ian Snell a while back. Mario Soto also comes to mind.
    Yes, it's not a new comp. Nonetheless, it's probably a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Ian Snell (RH)
    Johnny Cueto might be one of Snell’s biggest fans since a successful Snell might help end the bias against short starting pitchers in the majors possibly helping Cueto avoid a probable move to the pen as an uber power righty set up man. Snell was rushed to the big leagues by Littelfield and still struggles with his command at times being best described as raw, short, and young with great stuff. He’s a budding power pitcher with neutral BIP tendencies. His fastball has exceptional velocity (high 90’s while comfortably sitting at 93-94mph) which makes his hammer curve formidable. He’s yet to develop his change into a major league quality pitch and lefties give him difficulty. Given his lack of a third quality pitch, he may yet ultimately end up being an above average short reliever (much to Cueto's chagrin no doubt).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Does Snell throw a slider or a curve? I've seen each listed, but not both. The Pitch/Fx data says he throws a slider.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Benito Santiago and Devin Mesoraco.

I think I'd be fairly happy with that.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    How about instead of the same old Mike Cameron comps,
    Drew Stubbs: Steve Finley?
    If this turns out to be true Marty will be so happy he won't know what to do with himself. Even though he probably wouldn't be happy having anyone compared with Steve "Mr. Baseball" Finley.

This thread is turning into a bunch of dreamy mental masturbation to whomever's fav's. Sorry to rain on anybody's fantasy, but sheesh.......

I wouldn't call him a prospect, but I'd compare Norris Hopper to Greg Tubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like the Votto-Klesko comparison.
    I really like that comp as well. Here's a pointless one: Chris Valaika-Tim Tuefel.

Turn Off Ads?