Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Dickerson

3 3.41%
  • Danny Dorn

12 13.64%
  • Carlos Fisher

1 1.14%
  • Juan Francisco

3 3.41%
  • Carlos Guevara

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

9 10.23%
  • Devin Mesoraco

11 12.50%
  • Tyler Pelland

3 3.41%
  • Adam Rosales

3 3.41%
  • Neftali Soto

1 1.14%
  • Daryl Thompson

4 4.55%
  • Justin Turner

1 1.14%
  • Chris Valaika

1 1.14%
  • Pedro Viola

2 2.27%
  • Brandon Waring

3 3.41%
  • Sean Watson

1 1.14%
  • Travis Wood

29 32.95%
  • Other (please specify)

1 1.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #9

Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #9

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #9 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #9

where's the poll? and how far down are we going to go? 15?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    where's the poll? and how far down are we going to go? 15?
    It actuallys posts the post then lets you make the poll. Making the poll takes an additional 5 minutes or so. We were planning on going at least 30 deep with the prospect list, someone suggested 40. I guess we will see how it goes and as long as there is interest still we will keep it going.

Now it gets interesting.

My next two guys are Mesoraco and Francisco.

Francisco hit .268 at A ball as a 19-20 year old. He had 25 homers and 90 RBI. He struck out a lot and had very few walks. If he improves his plate discipline just a tad, can you imagine what numbers he can put up? Could be awesome with a little improvement.

But I'm voting Mesoraco here because such a highly touted first draft choice deserves some mention in the top ten, even though his first few months didn't result in top numbers.

Go Devin.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-27-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It actuallys posts the post then lets you make the poll. Making the poll takes an additional 5 minutes or so. We were planning on going at least 30 deep with the prospect list, someone suggested 40. I guess we will see how it goes and as long as there is interest still we will keep it going.
    Gotcha- thanks.

My next five looks like this:

Travis Wood
    Daniel Dorn
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Devin Mesoraco
    Juan Francisco
    Go BLUE!!!

Went with Travis Wood here.

Left Handed pitcher
    Low 90's fastball
    Best change up in the minor leagues
    Developing curveball

Even in an injured year, his strikeout rate was still 10.5 per 9 innings. He is back and healthy now after pitching well in Fall Instructional League. Easy choice for me.

Went with Travis Wood here.

Left Handed pitcher
    Low 90's fastball
    Best change up in the minor leagues
    Developing curveball

Even in an injured year, his strikeout rate was still 10.5 per 9 innings. He is back and healthy now after pitching well in Fall Instructional League. Easy choice for me.
    He's my pick too. I'm a sucker for a southpaw with a great change.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Danny Dorn here. The guy looks to be the real deal, he hits for average, some pop and gets on base.

I really thought Danny Dorn showed a lot last year.

I think Dorn can have a good career as a platoon outfielder. Guys like that can be very valuable if they can hit, and it seems like he can definitely hit. I have him in the 10-15 prospect range, which says a lot for the Reds system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Dorn can have a good career as a platoon outfielder. Guys like that can be very valuable if they can hit, and it seems like he can definitely hit. I have him in the 10-15 prospect range, which says a lot for the Reds system.

If he keeps hitting he will be more than a platoon player.

Quote Originally Posted by Prf15 View Post
    If he keeps hitting he will be more than a platoon player.
    In Sarasota his OPS against lefties was .577 and in Chattanooga it was .650. He absolutely murders righties, but against lefties....

In Sarasota his OPS against lefties was .577 and in Chattanooga it was .650. He absolutely murders righties, but against lefties....
    Basically a Brad Hawpe type of player, with the obvious caveat that it's a long way from being that type of player in the minors to being Brad Hawpe in the majors.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it fairly common for young lefty sluggers to struggle against lefties early in their careers? That said, even if continues to struggle, we're looking at a guy who absolutely destroys righties. The name that came to mind for me was Trot Nixon. I just don't see how any of the guys who has yet to have sustained success can be ranked above him.

I like Travis Wood too, but a solid year in A Ball followed by an injury ridden poor year in the FSL doesn't knock my socks off.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I guess I should look at splits more.:all_cohol

Turn Off Ads?