Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why the 70's Fashion must not be replicated

Re: Why the 70's Fashion must not be replicated

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    "For the man who does not wear the pants in the relationship ..."
    They do resemble the Ambiguously Gay Duo.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

This may be the best thread. ever. I would give just about anything on earth for that toilet tank cover. Not to mention the argyle-style barrel chairs. The fantastic thing is that the pictures that people have posted could almost be right out of the catalog. I'm not sure that we could say the same today. Remarkable. Kitty is foxy.

These are vaticanplum children circa 1980:

Now, we're not even in the right decade here, but apparently the 70s fashion was sooo great that there were holdovers. What I really want to discuss here is the jumpsuit. That's a boy, in case that isn't clear. My main question here is and has always been: how is a baby supposed to move around in that thing? I can't imagine that the wide-leg approach makes for easy crawling and toddling. Secondly, a dump truck and plaid go together...how? Third -- a wide collar? Really? Because when I think baby one piece, I immediately think of Osh Kosh, onesies with snaps, and...dress collars.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

This was our kitchen set. Very space age. Our seat covers were avocado green.

School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

Ahhh..... avocado green. Even in the 60's that was my Mom's favorite color growing up. Every appliance in the house had to be that color. As well as the kitchen counter tops.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My first kitchen was all bright green and yellow. With those 70s-style fruits and vegetables pictures hanging all along one wall -- 21 of them, three rows of seven each. I can still picture them exactly in my head. Man, I wish my family hadn't gotten rid of those.

yellow is supposed to be the worst color for a room. It makes people anxious. Babies cry more in yellow bedrooms, people freak out in yellow kitchens. I learned this from my eighth grade science project, Colors and Their Effects on People. Maybe that's why everybody got so wacked out in the 80s, all the yellow that abounded in the 70s.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 11-29-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My first kitchen was all bright green and yellow. With those 70s-style fruits and vegetables pictures hanging all along one wall -- 21 of them, three rows of seven each. I can still picture them exactly in my head. Man, I wish my family hadn't gotten rid of those.

yellow is supposed to be the worst color for a room. It makes people anxious. Babies cry more in yellow bedrooms, people freak out in yellow kitchens. I learned this from my eighth grade science project, Colors and Their Effects on People. Maybe that's why everybody got so wacked out in the 80s, all the yellow that abounded in the 70s.
    I like yellow. Maybe that's why I'm so whack.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I like yellow. Maybe that's why I'm so whack.
    Yellow is my favorite color too. But I have been scared off from painting a room that color.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Yellow is my favorite color too. But I have been scared off from painting a room that color.
    My living room is yellow, it used to be pink.

We like the weirdness at Castle Krono
    Go Gators!

Earthen colors seem to be the decorative colors of choice anymore. I guess they are suppose to be more soothing. It's the choice of my wife when she decorated the home.

Who knows - 20/30 years from now my kids will probably be making light of the styles of today. Of course you should see my daughter's room and closet. It's straight out of the 60's/70's with her beads hanging everywhere and "Love American Style" decor. And she loves tie dye T-shirts.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Beanbag "chairs".

I had a cat that mistook the styrofoam pellets in it for kitty litter. Nothing like sitting down in cat pee.

I know better that to post any Roy pictures from that era. I was college age then so I didn't have any of the JC Penney catalog garb. More, it was post-'60's evolutionary weirdness. My mutton chops were quite spectacular. They got shaved off and I grew a fu manchu with lip beard. Then a Grizzly Adams style beard. I don't think I ever lacked for some kind of facial hair. My hair was long but I blow-dried it every day to give that body. Bell bottoms of every style, embroidered, patched, etc. Mickey Mouse work shirts. I think I had a pair of leather boots that laced up to the knee. And earth shoes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Beanbag "chairs".

I had a cat that mistook the styrofoam pellets in it for kitty litter. Nothing like sitting down in cat pee.

I know better that to post any Roy pictures from that era. I was college age then so I didn't have any of the JC Penney catalog garb. More, it was post-'60's evolutionary weirdness. My mutton chops were quite spectacular. They got shaved off and I grew a fu manchu with lip beard. Then a Grizzly Adams style beard. I don't think I ever lacked for some kind of facial hair. My hair was long but I blow-dried it every day to give that body. Bell bottoms of every style, embroidered, patched, etc. Mickey Mouse work shirts. I think I had a pair of leather boots that laced up to the knee. And earth shoes.
    hippie

Don't laugh. Everyone will be using furniture like that in the year 2000. I know because I have seen it in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Who knows - 20/30 years from now my kids will probably be making light of the styles of today.
    They absolutely will be.

I think fashions go through a period of ridicule about 20 years after they are popular, then spring up again about ten years later as being cool and fashionably retro.

I remember my folks making fun of the thin neckties of the 50s and early 60s, only to find us wearing thin ties in the mid 80s. Then we made fun of sideburns, long flowing hair, bell-bottoms, and wide collars, but I've seen some of those things in recent years.

My wife has been wanting one of those haircuts where it is very short in the back and then gets progressively longer in the front (like David Beckham's wife, the Spice Girl, wears). I cautioned her that 20 years from now people are going to look at that haircut, roll with laughter, and wonder what they were thinking.

My wife has been wanting one of those haircuts where it is very short in the back and then gets progressively longer in the front
    I believe that's called the Manchester Cut.

Pants were crazier back then.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I believe that's called the Manchester Cut.

Pants were crazier back then.

Uggg, I belive I had a pair very similar to those. What's worse is that I think I had a matching jacket.

High five!

That's so "Space 1999"

Turn Off Ads?