Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jon Lieber

Jon Lieber

Has he signed with anyone?

I read somewhere he could be had for 1 year for about $4 million. If that is correct and he hasn't already signed somewhere, would you be willing to sign him for like a #4 starter? I know he's 37 and is on the decline, but his numbers aren't awful and he's yet to be posting era's over about 4.60 so far.

What do you think? If he's already been signed, then let me know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jon Lieber

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Has he signed with anyone?

I read somewhere he could be had for 1 year for about $4 million. If that is correct and he hasn't already signed somewhere, would you be willing to sign him for like a #4 starter? I know he's 37 and is on the decline, but his numbers aren't awful and he's yet to be posting era's over about 4.60 so far.

What do you think? If he's already been signed, then let me know.
    I would VASTLY prefer Lieber on a one year deal than trading Hamilton for Garza or Snell. With a one year stop gap we can see how Belisle-Bailey-Cueto-Maloney do in 2008 then decide if we need to get another starter for 2009. If we keep Hamilton then an outfield of Dunn-Bruce-Hamilton is formidable for several years.

Phillies Could Re-Sign Lieber

The Phillies need pitching, and they intend to spend money on it. Jon Lieber is a free agent, and he still has a little left in the tank. Why not bring him back?

Lieber's agent said yesterday that Liebs still has the Phillies under consideration. His '07 season with them was cut short by foot surgery. For the Phillies the contract would probably have to be one year plus incentives. Lieber's agent wisely wouldn't say whether he was up for that. Who knows, maybe a guy like Lieber snags two years guaranteed somewhere.

So far the Astros are the only other team known to be considering Lieber.

He has not re-signed yet, and only the Phillies and Astros have contacted him. I would offer him a 2 year deal if I were Wayne. I copied this from mlbtraderumors.com

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I've always liked Jon Lieber. I would offer his agent 1 year at 4million plus 1million in incentives plus 27 starts or 175-innings kicks in a second year at 5.5million. Lieber reminds me of a poor man's version of Greg Maddux. A very nice control pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I would VASTLY prefer Lieber on a one year deal than trading Hamilton for Garza or Snell. With a one year stop gap we can see how Belisle-Bailey-Cueto-Maloney do in 2008 then decide if we need to get another starter for 2009. If we keep Hamilton then an outfield of Dunn-Bruce-Hamilton is formidable for several years.
    I'd go for Lieber. And trading Hamilton for Snell is insane...

Not saying I want to trade for Snell, but going off the top of my head, I believe all of his pertinent numbers have improved each of his 3 years in the majors as a starting pitcher. Drastically improved. I also believe he's only 23 or 24.

Might not be a bad move actually. I'd have to think about some more, but something to consider.

i for one, don't want lieber, i've never been impressed when watching him. He reminds me of the type that couldn't pitch well at GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    I'd go for Lieber. And trading Hamilton for Snell is insane...
    How is trading for Snell insane? He is a solid #2 that is locked up on a cheap contract for several more years just like Hamilton (he is acutally younger than Josh). Do you consider Josh to be one of the best 15 to 20 OF'ers in the majors? If not, we have to trade from a position of strength to acquire in a position of weakness... We can only start so many power left-handed hitters, and we have Bruce waiting...

I would not even consider trading Hamilton until we get Dunn signed to a LTC. I do not want the likes of Hopper or Freel starting 162 games.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would not even consider trading Hamilton until we get Dunn signed to a LTC. I do not want the likes of Hopper or Freel starting 162 games.
    there is always trading for Coco Crisp

Jay Bruce in CF? Is he that far from Hamilton in his all-around game?

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Jay Bruce in CF? Is he that far from Hamilton in his all-around game?

When Josh Hamilton was suspended from MLB (what was it; 3 or 4 years?) for that duration and came on so strong for the Reds in 2007, it was amazing, all things considered. So with Jay Bruce continually playing each year w/o missing any time and winning the Minor League Player of the Year Award from Baseball America, I would have to think the difference between these two Reds CFers is negligible. What else does Bruce have to prove in the minors? Nothing, imo. The only question is the age/youth of Bruce. We will see if Bruce's game is on par with Hamilton's in '08. If it is, and I think it will be, sit back with your lady plus favorite beverage and enjoy!

Turn Off Ads?