Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pelland Article

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Pelland Article

I gleaned this from another Red's forum.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../71127007/1002

The Cincinnati Reds have purchased the baseball contract of former Mount Abraham Union pitcher Tyler Pelland.

The move puts the 24-year-old left-handed reliever on the 40-man winter roster for the Reds. He will battle for one of 25 spots on the active roster next spring.

Pelland, of Monkton, said he got a call on his cell phone in a remote area of Maine while deer hunting last week informing him of his upgraded status within the organization.

He was excited to get the news, but at first he couldn't respond. "I had to make it out (to a less rural area) to get cell service to make the call back to confirm I got their message," Pelland said.

"They pretty much congratulated me and said to come to spring training and be ready to go full bore," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pelland said he will start lifting weights in early December and start throwing after Christmas. He expects to go to Florida toward the end of January to get acclimated to the warm weather again before starting spring training in Sarasota, Fla.

"He's excited. He will go down in the spring with the major league players and vie for a spot on the (25-man roster). It's pretty exciting," said Mount Abraham coach Jeff Stetson.

Pelland split his time this summer with both the Chattanooga Lookouts, a Double A team in the Southern League and the Louisville Bats, a Triple A team in the International League.

He was 5-4 with two saves and a 3.95 ERA in 66 innings over 35 games, including five starts.

After he was promoted to Louisville, he was 1-1 in with a 3.04 ERA in 232/3 innings over 19 games.

The Reds invited Pelland to play in the Arizona Fall League, where he wrapped up his season Nov. 14. He was 1-1 with a 1.08 ERA in 81/3 innings over nine games.

In 2006, Pelland told the Free Press he had given up on his curveball to focus on his slider. He said that change has paid huge dividends."That was the big pitch," Pelland said Monday evening.

"After they moved me to the bullpen after the first month it kind of took off," Pelland said.

He was used as a long reliever, often the first one out of the bullpen in several games and also at times was called in to be a late reliever, but never a closer.

His fastball, which was clocked at 90 miles per hour in high school, is now coming in at up to 94 mph. He also has a deceptive change-up and throws a cutter from time to time.

Pelland said he likes the move to the bullpen.

"I get to get into more games and feels like you are more into it then pitching every five days," he said.

Pelland, while at Mount Abraham, was twice named the Vermont Player of the Year by Gatorade. The Eagles won back-to-back state titles, including Pelland's senior year when he whiffed 19 during a 3-hitter against Windsor before 2,400 fans at Centennial Field.

Pelland attracted scouts from every major league team with his 90 mile-per-hour fastball and nasty curveball.

He initially accepted a partial scholarship to play at Clemson University, one of the premier baseball programs in the nation.

Pelland was picked in the ninth round by the Boston Red Sox in June 2002. He signed a six year minor league contract with a $240,000 bonus in August 17, 2002, but was traded to the Reds about a year later in a deal that sent Scott Williamson to Boston.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pelland Article

His fastball, which was clocked at 90 miles per hour in high school, is now coming in at up to 94 mph.
    I thought he'd add some more velocity once he was moved to the pen. This obviously isn't a great source, but wasn't he throwing 93-94 out of the rotation?

I like Pelland and think he is a top 10 Reds prospect. Why?
    He is young and has had success at AA/AAA.
    It seems a lot of Redszoners like the 'high ceiling' guys at Rookie or A ball but I want to see success at AA before I start to think a player may be for real.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

His AAA stint was quite promising. The move to the bullpen seems to have done wonders for his control.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If he keeps the BBs down he can be a real asset. I'd much rather see him in the BP than Stanton (Duh!)

I've been his biggest backer for 3 years now. I think he has a very good upside, and IMO a good attitude. After being demoted to Billings from Dayton a couple of years ago, all he did was go down there and dominate in a hitters league. He was then overpromoted to Sarasota the next year, and he seems to always be one level higher than he should be each year. He repeated AA last season and got a mid/late season promotion to AAA where he excelled. I think he has more upside than Bray, but I hope he starts the season in AAA. I think he needs just a little more time there to solidify his game.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    After being demoted to Billings from Dayton a couple of years ago, all he did was go down there and dominate in a hitters league
    He did not. There's nothing wrong with a 3.45 ERA, but it came attached to a 1.45 WHIP.

I'm glad the Reds finally stopped the farce of trying to make him a starter, but let's not puff up his resume. Even last year he allowed a 1.33 WHIP. I never mind a lefty who can whiff hitters, but he's far from a sure thing.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

He's OK, but with Bray in front of him and Viola breathing down his neck, he's a guy I'd be using as a bargaining chip.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

His walk rate has always been his problem, but 10+ K/9, a .37 HR/9 and just over 8 H/9 at Billings is pretty damn good. His BB's are his problem more than anything else. We'll see if 2007 is an aberration, he cut his BB rate in half, or if he's turned a corner. But for the most part his high WHIP was driven by too many walks. Last year was 1.33, but it was 1.01. Maybe it was small sample size. Maybe it's because he has switched to BB/Sliders and dropped his curveball. But something was different after he got promoted. I want to see it again before the reds call him up though.

Trying him as a starter IMO wasn't a farce. LH that miss bats like he does should always be starting IF drafted out of HS. They made the change at the appropriate time and he's young enough to be a dominant LH in the pen for a long time.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?