Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Garza

Re: Matt Garza

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Too bad the Reds have no CFs. I imagine that fact alone removes them from consideration for a deal like this.
    ok devils advocate:

Trust me, other teams would take Hamilton as a CF'er, no doubt. He's not as awful as advertised by those on RZ. And he's played 1 year there. If a team is willing to look at Melky Cabrera in CF, Bill Hall, Alfonso Soriano, then Hambone is a stud in CF.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 11-28-2007 at 01:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I tend to think the Red Sox are waiting to swoop in on Santana after the Yankees have been ground down by the negotiations. Lester, Buchholz and Crisp probably trumps whatever the Yankees are offering.

The Mets are armed with OF prospects too and they might be lurking on Santana. It wouldn't surprise me if both Minaya and Epstein have planted "when you get something firm, let me try to beat it" seeds.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Of course it is up to you to be the most negative, and in this case, just plain devils advocate.
    You might want to switch to decaf.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You might want to switch to decaf.
    Didn't mean to sound fired up, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I tend to think the Red Sox are waiting to swoop in on Santana after the Yankees have been ground down by the negotiations. Lester, Buchholz and Crisp probably trumps whatever the Yankees are offering.

The Mets are armed with OF prospects too and they might be lurking on Santana. It wouldn't surprise me if both Minaya and Epstein have planted "when you get something firm, let me try to beat it" seeds.

No way do the Sox trade Lester AND Buchholz, let alone in the same deal. I think you're right about their interest in Santana, but just like the Reds would never trade Bailey and Cueto in the same deal, and the Yanks wouldn't deal Hughes and Chamberlain in the same deal, no way do the Sox part with their two pitching studs.

I really think Garza could be had, and not for that much, especially because of his purported attitude problems (Lohse had the same problem.) I really hope Wayne goes hard after him. Unlike other proposed deals, the one thing working in our favor is his familiarity in dealing with the Twins, even though Terry Ryan is no longer their GM.
    Go BLUE!!!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Sounds too me like the Twins might just be trying to dump Matt Tomko...errr Garza.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Man Pills

ok devils advocate:

Trust me, other teams would take Hamilton as a CF'er, no doubt. He's not as awful as advertised by those on RZ. And he's played 1 year there. If a team is willing to look at Melky Cabrera in CF, Bill Hall, Alfonso Soriano, then Hambone is a stud in CF.
    I'm not sure what other clubs do matters to the Twins. The Twins that I know from the last quarter of a century are a very defense-minded organization (though they have been known to chase some overhyped defenders before). None of the Reds' outfielders or prospects project as defensive whizzes--well, except Stubbs. But I'm guessing that's not what the Twinkies have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Sounds too me like the Twins might just be trying to dump Matt Tomko...errr Garza.
    Fine. I'll trade Ken Griffey Jr. for him.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not sure what other clubs do matters to the Twins. The Twins that I know from the last quarter of a century are a very defense-minded organization (though they have been known to chase some overhyped defenders before). None of the Reds' outfielders or prospects project as defensive whizzes--well, except Stubbs. But I'm guessing that's not what the Twinkies have in mind.
    Who knows- Stubbs and Hatteberg maybe? I know, I'm just dreaming. :
    Go BLUE!!!

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Carlos Quentin? Really? His career line over 2 seasons:

.230/.316/.425/.741

His numbers were actually worse than that in 2007. I understand Quentin plays a solid RF as Fielding Bible had him at +6, but Garza straight up just for him? This makes me wonder if the Twins wouldn't be interested in Alex Gonzalez straight up if we offered to pick up most of the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Carlos Quentin? Really? His career line over 2 seasons:

.230/.316/.425/.741

His numbers were actually worse than that in 2007. I understand Quentin plays a solid RF as Fielding Bible had him at +6, but Garza straight up just for him? This makes me wonder if the Twins wouldn't be interested in Alex Gonzalez straight up if we offered to pick up most of the tab.

They already have Jason Bartlett. I think they'd be a lot more interested in Encarnacion and possibly even Keppinger than Gonzalez.
    Go BLUE!!!

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    They already have Jason Bartlett. I think they'd be a lot more interested in Encarnacion than Gonzalez.
    Sounds about right. EE for Garza? Where do I sign...

This seems like a deal that can be made. Hamilton for Garza? Seems like that would easily do it if Quentin is what they wanted.
    Why the rush to trade Hamilton? He hasn't displayed his full value yet. He may have had some injuries last year but he played more games than he had in his life and hadn't played in four years. I almost think if he played bad defense he would be more appreciated around here because he would fit into the model of the classic SABR hero. This guy is a once in a generation talent, rated higher when he was drafted than Griffey or A-Rod. At least let him hit 35 or so hrs this year and get some real return for him.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Why the rush to trade Hamilton? He hasn't displayed his full value yet. He may have had some injuries last year but he played more games than he had in his life and hadn't played in four years. I almost think if he played bad defense he would be more appreciated around here because he would fit into the model of the classic SABR hero. This guy is a once in a generation talent, rated higher when he was drafted than Griffey or A-Rod. At least let him hit 35 or so hrs this year and get some real return for him.
    Very true, yet right now the Reds are stuck with an outfield surplus and a shortage of pitching. From a talent standpoint, I'd rather trade just about anyone other than Hamilton (with the exception of Bruce). However from a reality standpoint, Hamilton is a luxury for the Reds and in demand from other teams. Not to mention the whole relapse threat...

I would rather trade any other position player with the exception of Bruce and Phillips. But if the Reds want to get any kind of talent in return, Hamilton is gonna be the guy everybody wants.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Can he pitch?

Turn Off Ads?