Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matt Garza

Re: Matt Garza

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Why the rush to trade Hamilton? He hasn't displayed his full value yet. He may have had some injuries last year but he played more games than he had in his life and hadn't played in four years. I almost think if he played bad defense he would be more appreciated around here because he would fit into the model of the classic SABR hero. This guy is a once in a generation talent, rated higher when he was drafted than Griffey or A-Rod. At least let him hit 35 or so hrs this year and get some real return for him.
    If it is for Garza, I rush to trade him. He could implode any second, his body obviously got worn down through the rough years, his weakest link, is the teams weakest (hitting LHP).

Do I want him on the team? Heck yeah, but I would take Garza for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not sure what other clubs do matters to the Twins. The Twins that I know from the last quarter of a century are a very defense-minded organization (though they have been known to chase some overhyped defenders before). None of the Reds' outfielders or prospects project as defensive whizzes--well, except Stubbs. But I'm guessing that's not what the Twinkies have in mind.
    That's a good point. I still think teams, including the Twins, look at him as a possible CF though. I would hope they would put him in their CF to at least use his offense. They had some lineups this summer with 4 or more guys with OPS below .700.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    That's a good point. I still think teams, including the Twins, look at him as a possible CF though. I would hope they would put him in their CF to at least use his offense. They had some lineups this summer with 4 or more guys with OPS below .700.
    The Twins need offense like nobody's business, but that is one stubborn organization. Unless their new GM is a breath of fresh air, they'll likely insist on defense first, offense second. That's just the way that organization operates, for better or worse.

DAMNIT!

Looks like it's basically a done deal. Matt Garza is going to Tampa for Delmon Young. Four other players, including Brendan Harris, could be involved.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=276
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    DAMNIT!

Looks like it's basically a done deal. Matt Garza is going to Tampa for Delmon Young. Four other players, including Brendan Harris, could be involved.

That's by far the better deal from the Twins' perspective.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    DAMNIT!

That sounds like a much better and more realistic return for Garza than Carlos Quentin.

If the Rays are making that deal I wonder if they'll be trading a pitcher this winter.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Why? they aren't paying anyone heavy coin right now. The team is ripe to be sold. It's young, talented and if the Garza trade is true, very talented in the rotation.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why? they aren't paying anyone heavy coin right now. The team is ripe to be sold. It's young, talented and if the Garza trade is true, very talented in the rotation.
    I was thinking it might free up someone like Howell or Sonnanstine. The Rays still need bullpen help, a middle IF and a catcher.

They've also got McGee, Niemann, Davis and Price on the way.

Also, Kazmir will start making coin this year. With Garza coming in, Shields around and those kids lurking in the future, maybe the Rays are looking to unload him. Stranger things have happened and that team is cash-strapped.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?