Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johnny Depp is a pretty good guy

Johnny Depp is a pretty good guy

Perhaps the worst thread title I've ever come up with, but I stopped just short of using the terom "hero" because I think it's overused. Remember when we used to think Depp was eccentric and Tom Cruise was normal?

http://omg.yahoo.com/johnny-depp-don...lars/news/5719

Johnny Depp made an unannounced visit to the Great Ormond Street Hospital yesterday to donate nearly 2 million dollars (1 million pounds) to the London children's medical center that treated his daughter last year, the Daily Mail reported.

The actor's eight-year-old daughter Lily-Rose spent nine days in the hospital last March when she suffered from kidney failure.

A grateful Depp, who was just voted one of Us' sexiest dads, invited the doctors and nurses to the London premiere of "Sweeney Todd" last week and read stories to patients in November dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow from "Pirates Of The Caribbean," the UK paper reported.

Disney also reportedly pledged approximately 20 million dollars (10 million pounds) to the hospital, which is raising funds for renovations.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Depp is a pretty good guy

Nice gesture. My other comments would be reserved for the Peanut Gallery.

One of my wife's co-workers was one of Johnny Depp's step-siblings for a while as a kid.

Co-worker's dad still grumbles that Johnny owes him a couple hundred bucks from when he was a teenager.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    One of my wife's co-workers was one of Johnny Depp's step-siblings for a while as a kid.

Co-worker's dad still grumbles that Johnny owes him a couple hundred bucks from when he was a teenager.
    Hope he kept the juice runnin' on that money.

That could be worth millions now.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I may have something to add to this. I believe I mentioned in another thread that I used to be a big autograph collector. One of my very dear friends had his own business obtaining signatures in Hollywood. Dude made serious cash and basically worked all hours of the night hunting people down. He was a stalker, pretty much (I have a great Tom Cruise story if anyone is interested), but he nearly always got the job done.

Anyhow, at the time there was a Herb Ritts photography book that contained these awesome huge pictures of stars of the day, and it was my wish to try to get as many of these photos signed as possible. Over the course of 8 years, we got nearly 45 of the 70 or so pictures done. Not too bad.

And what always stands out to me most is that when my friend was outlining how long he thought it would take him to get each photo on average, he put a big "0" next to Johnny Depp's name.

"What's that mean?" I asked.

"I can get that this afternoon," he said.

My buddy took a trip to the Viper Room, walked in and got me my Johnny Depp autograph within hours after we spoke.

He also told me that Depp would have signed 500 pictures had he asked him, that he always makes sure everyone gets taken care of who wants his autograph and that he doesn't care what it is, he'll autograph it (most celebrities have limits to what they'll sign or they won't sign pictures they don't like- he told me Brad Pitt would obsess over which photos to sign based on whether he liked them or not, Julia Roberts insists on personalizing anything she thinks may have value, like a huge poster or as luck would have it, my Herb Ritts photo- yeah, it's made out to me, which is a little strange lol).

But Depp knew the photos were getting sold, and he didn't care one bit. He spends hours pleasing people, and to me, that's just terrific. To be that big of a name and to make sure everyone is happy is unheard of.

Autograph Collector Magazine publishes a list of best and worst signers every year, and Depp was number one for years on end at one point.

The crazy thing is that because he signs so much his signature isn't worth a great deal, but mine means more to me just because he's so gosh darn nice. I wouldn't get rid of it for the world.

Anyhow, Johnny Depp rocks to me for this simple point, and I'll always be a fan.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-22-2008 at 04:50 PM.

IMO Depp is one of the best actors out there. The problem that I have with him is he always takes very weird rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO Depp is one of the best actors out there. The problem that I have with him is he always takes very weird rolls.
    Like jelly filled bearclaws?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Bingo. Along with Leo, he is, IMO, one of best young actors around. But some of the roles he elects to take have me shaking my head sometimes.

As much as I liked the Jack Sparrow character, he should have let that character die after the first movie.

And I never saw what many did about Edward Scissorhands. I personally thought it was a dumb movie.

Enjoyed the Ninth Gate, Secret Window, and Blow though.

stinkers?...... The Astronauts Wife

I also never knew he was born in Owensboro, Kentucky and grew up a Dark Shadows fan. In fact he just signed a rights deal with the estate of the late Dan Curtis to make a movie at some point.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

And I never saw what many did about Edward Scissorhands. I personally thought it was a dumb movie.
    I'm kinda with you there, but I loved his characters in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Benny and Joon"

I like his roll in the 1st nightmare on elm street movie the best personally haha

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm kinda with you there, but I loved his characters in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Benny and Joon"
    Wheres arnie

Raoul Duke, Donnie Brasco.

I thought I heard a rumor that he'd signed on to play Paul Kemp in The Rum Diary, if true, that'd be pretty cool.

He's from Kentucky. Of course he's a good guy.

Turn Off Ads?