Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MEET THE JOKER (wow)

Re: MEET THE JOKER (wow)

I like it. Those who don't like non-traditional portrayals of comic book characters--or other classic literary characters, even--should realize that no portrayal will be the final one (probably not even the definitive one, although that word will be used). Each person who takes on the character interprets him his own way. The same's true whether you're talking about Hamlet, Beowulf....or The Joker.

Life's big enough for multiple visions.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Holy crap is that real.

I loved Batman Begins I can't wait for the Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    ...immediately followed by a trip to Neiman Marcus.

A psychopathic killer who wears really trendy socks.
    I bought those same socks at Chess King in 1989.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Click on the photo sticking out behind the cut-out message to hear a line of the Joker's spoken by Heath Ledger.

And then if you click the photo after it pops up, it takes you to the next website in the viral marketing campaign.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    This is a darker, more realistic Batman. I, for one, really like it, fanboys be darned.
    I liked the added realism to the Batman series -- but I hated what it did to Ras Al Ghul, who is (in my mind) one of the coolest villains ever created regardless of medium.

They turned an interesting and compelling character into a two-bit terrorist with a bunch of henchmen by stripping away the parts that made him unique (his extraordinarily long life, his history as a crusader for returning purity to the world, his superior intellect equal to that of Bruce Wayne/Batman) all in the name of creating a more "realistic" character.

I'm not even that big of a fanboy, and it bothered me that they killed off the only immortal villain in the series.

It makes me cringe a bit at what they might do to the Joker.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I liked the added realism to the Batman series -- but I hated what it did to Ras Al Ghul, who is (in my mind) one of the coolest villains ever created regardless of medium.

They turned an interesting and compelling character into a two-bit terrorist with a bunch of henchmen by stripping away the parts that made him unique (his extraordinarily long life, his history as a crusader for returning purity to the world, his superior intellect equal to that of Bruce Wayne/Batman) all in the name of creating a more "realistic" character.

I'm not even that big of a fanboy, and it bothered me that they killed off the only immortal villain in the series.

It makes me cringe a bit at what they might do to the Joker.
    Ra's al Ghul is certainly one of the most interesting Batman villians. But considering that he's lived over 600 years, I'd suggest that he isn't dead. We didn't see him die in the film. We only saw the train crash.

I was actually pleased to see that Ra's was the primary villian in "Batman Begins" and even though the film took liberties with the association between the two characters, I felt that the Ra's portrayal was well done. I only regretted that I saw no Talia tie-in, but IMHO that's path DC's "Elseworlds" movie tales (Superman Returns is the major issue) have taken.

And it's why I've liked the Marvel movies a little more (excepting X-Men 3). They run closer to continuity even if they do combine a good bit of the "Ultimate" universe.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

There's no movie that Brett Ratner can't ruin.

Amazing he continues to find work.

He has lived off of Rush Hour for how many years now???

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ra's al Ghul is certainly one of the most interesting Batman villians. But considering that he's lived over 600 years, I'd suggest that he isn't dead. We didn't see him die in the film. We only saw the train crash.
    Certainly possible -- I wouldn't be at all displeased to find him alive and masterminding things in this or a later film. Hopefully, as you indicated, Talia would be involved at that point.

I was actually pleased to see that Ra's was the primary villian in "Batman Begins" and even though the film took liberties with the association between the two characters, I felt that the Ra's portrayal was well done.
    Would it have killed them to have him call Batman "Detective" just once? I always thought that, above a lot of other things, was what made Ras so cool -- his appreciation of Batman as an intellectual equal (which, unfortunately, many Batman adaptations seem to overlook).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    And then if you click the photo after it pops up, it takes you to the next website in the viral marketing campaign.
    I have been following the campaign a bit. Its actually pretty well done. For info go here
    Witty signature.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

new picture

Witty signature.

He looks very deranged.

They could have saved a lot of money on makeup and special effects if they'd just hired this guy instead....

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?