Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Cordero a Red

Reds, Cordero reach preliminary agreement

"Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds, Cordero reach preliminary agreement

WOW im shocked!!!.. but i had a feeling they didnt sign Baker to his contract if they were not going to spend money. WOW im excited. more moves to be made for sure to get this team near the top!!

Way to Go BOB!!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I was afraid to open these threads. I just knew it was gonna be Wilfredo Cordero
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

From the blog of a Brewers beat writer....

Brewers lose Cordero to Reds
    By Tom Haudricourt
    Friday, Nov 23 2007, 03:33 PM

Nothing has been announced because the deal is contingent on a physical examination but I've just learned that Brewers free agent closer Francisco Cordero has signed a four-year deal with Cincinnati, with an option for a fifth year.

The news is a double blow for the Brewers. First, they lost one of the best closers in baseball, a dominating finisher who set the franchise record with 44 saves in 2007. Second, he has gone to a team in their division, meaning the Brewers face the prospect of facing their former closer time after time over the next four years.

I haven't got a chance to talk to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin yet to get his reaction to the signing but it is my understanding he also offered Cordero a four-year deal, but for less money than the Reds. I'll get Melvin's reaction and look into the specifics of the deal and file more blogs today.

Cordero was a Class A free agent but the Reds were in the bottom half of the 30 teams in terms of won-loss record in '07, meaning they have to give the Brewers only their second-round draft pick next season. The Brewers will also get a compensatory pick after the first round.

The Brewers will get similar draft picks from the White Sox as soon as their deal with Class A free-agent reliever Scott Linebrink is made official.

Melvin has been pretty good in the past about finding closers, and now he'll be tested again.

The Brewers pen now looks to be a shambles, what with the loss of Linebrink as well.

I say good on ya, Wayne.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Excitement over Reds baseball in November? Unheard of!

I love it when something happens when I'm on Redszone.

Nothing matches being able to discuss a move as it happens, good and bad.

Oh, and again, I really really really like this move. It's ballsy, but it addresses a real need in tangible fashion.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Wow. I have to say this is a pretty good signing. More money than I'd hope to see for a closer, but you can't say it wasn't a need.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Not often the Reds actually come away with FA who had genuine marketability.

Nice job.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

With this signing, I also have to wonder whether more is yet to come... maybe Freel or Hamilton gets moved for a starter? Then we'd REALLY be excited, eh?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

The Reds will also be giving up their second round draft pick to the Brewers this year. That could be important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Not often the Reds actually come away with FA who had genuine marketability.

Nice job.
    I believe this is the first time they've come away with somebody who legitimately was "best in class" during the winter. They've always setteled for the leftovers after the big dogs ate.

Yeah, It's a lot of money, but he's been as connsistant as you could ask for and it's become a matter of team need. I would rather have him as a closer than any of the starters out there likely to get that kind of money.

As much as I'll ever applaud a free agent move, I have to applaud this one.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Awesome! I just got done feeding a baseball fix with Game 4 of the '75 Series (Johnson let Tiant throw 155 pitches), then the current Reds crank up the Hot Stove full blast.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-23-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?