Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Cordero a Red

Re: Reds, Cordero reach preliminary agreement

Rosenthal's article:

Reds, Cordero Reach Preliminary Agreement

The Cincinnati Reds, making their first big acquisition of the Dusty Baker era, have reached a preliminary agreement with free-agent closer Francisco Cordero on a four-year, $46 million contract, major-league sources say.

The deal, which is pending a physical, is the largest four-year contract ever given to a closer. It includes a club option for a fifth year that can bring the total value of the package to $57 million.

The Brewers, who also are on the verge of losing free-agent setup man Scott Linebrink to the White Sox, offered Cordero a four-year, $42 million contract to remain with the club, sources say.

The losses of both Linebrink and Cordero could push the Brewers into the trade market for bullpen help. Outfielder Bill Hall and two starting pitchers left-hander Chris Capuano and righty Dave Bush are among their players drawing interest.

Cordero, 32, will fill a major void for the Reds, who last season converted only 54.8 percent of their save opportunities, the lowest percentage in the National League.

The Reds can now return right-hander David Weathers to a setup role and use right-hander Jared Burton in the seventh inning, or even reverse those roles.

The team, also looking for help in its starting rotation, could look to clear payroll, perhaps by moving outfielder Ryan Freel, who will earn $3 million next season, and first baseman Scott Hatteberg, who will earn $1.85 million.

Cordero converted 44 of 51 opportunities last season while going 0-4 with a 2.98 ERA and striking out 86 in 63 1/3 innings. He made the All-Star team for the second time in his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh HELL YEAH! Get the good beer out people because it has been a long, long time we have seen transactions of this magnitude of the Reds.

Fire up the Hot Stove and stir the coals because I think this won't be the only deal Krivsky makes.

Damn. I might call in sick tonight just to celebrate this signing.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Outstanding news!

It's quite a bit of scratch, but with the way the market's been heading it's going to take plenty of scratch to lock up a high quality player and Cordero definitely qualifies as a high quality player.

Now the Reds have to do at least two more things following this move, namely look to improve other areas (starting rotation and more bullpen) while also kicking out the relief stiffs we have.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Outstanding news!

It's quite a bit of scratch, but with the way the market's been heading it's going to take plenty of scratch to lock up a high quality player and Cordero definitely qualifies as a high quality player.

Now the Reds have to do at least two more things following this move, namely look to improve other areas (starting rotation and more bullpen) while also kicking out the relief stiffs we have.
    They need a centerfielder something fierce. I'm guessing Dusty's telling them that very thing.

A better defensive catcher wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They need a centerfielder something fierce. I'm guessing Dusty's telling them that very thing.

Coco Crisp and trade Hamilton for a starter?

I'd slide Hamilton over to right field and get Bruce's young legs in center, but it isn't happening unless it's by sheer accident (injury to Griffey).

It doesn't look like Griffey's going anywhere, because I haven't seen anything indicating he'll accept a trade this offseason. But by far the biggest way to clean up the outfield defense is to get him out of the outfield altogether.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

If you have nothing better to do go to Cordero's MLB.com profile and watch some of his saves. It's fun.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Coco Crisp and trade Hamilton for a starter?
    Hamilton alone won't nab an established starter or a big name prospect. But he might bring a "project" starter.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'd slide Hamilton over to right field and get Bruce's young legs in center, but it isn't happening unless it's by sheer accident (injury to Griffey).

It doesn't look like Griffey's going anywhere, because I haven't seen anything indicating he'll accept a trade this offseason. But by far the biggest way to clean up the outfield defense is to get him out of the outfield altogether.
    I'll go out on a limb and say there is no way Griffey leaves the outfield.

Proceed accordingly.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I was afraid to open these threads. I just knew it was gonna be Wilfredo Cordero
    That was my reaction as well. We've been following this team too long.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is no way Griffey leaves the outfield.

Proceed accordingly.
    Oh I have no doubts that you're correct there. Getting rid of Griffey now would solve a bunch of problems, but there's no way it'll happen, unfortunately.

I will say this: Jay Bruce, IMO, is a better defensive center fielder than Josh Hamilton. I have little doubt over that. Bruce is pretty much the only legitimate center fielder this organization has that can play solid defense and be worth anything offensively. Dickerson would track a truckload of balls down in center, but I'm not sure he'll provide enough offense to be a legit starter (FWIW, putting Dickerson on the bench would help the late-inning outfield defense though).
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

And of course, Wayne won't tell us anything yet. Per Trent

Just got off the phone with Wayne Krivsky.

I asked him about the reports the Reds have agreed to a deal with Brewers closer Francisco Cordero, his response was, "Those reports are inaccurate. We haven't signed him, but we have had conversations with him."

That they've "had conversations" with Cordero is a big statement by Wayne. Usually he won't even got that far, so I'm assuming there is an agreement in principle, even though Wayne denied there was an agreement. Wayne, however, usually won't admit to a signing until all the contracts are signed and the paperwork is filed -- in triplicate -- to the Commissioner's Office.

I asked Wayne about any payroll restrictions and the fact that it seems like Castellini is open to opening his checkbook: "Ownership has given the parameters to work within, and it’s my job to make it work. In my time here, they’ve been very supportive. Bob and I have a great relationship."
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Cordero's eventual signing will be a major step in the right direction not only fixing the bullpen but sending a message to fans that this team is serious about contending.

Still much work needs to be done. I see the Reds going the trade route to bring in a third starter. Tops on my wish list is Matt Cain.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

63.1 IP
    86 K
    18 BB

Insane.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I may start drinking early, tonight

Turn Off Ads?