Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Cordero a Red

Re: Reds, Cordero reach preliminary agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I may start drinking early, tonight
    Mine if I join you? This might be worth calling in sick and not reporting to work.

People, it has been a long, long time before you have seen a signing of this magnitude by the Reds. I think the message has been sent by ownership that they want to win. If anything, the Hot Stove League should be real entertaining for us Reds fans this offseason......and when was the last time you could have said that?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

From Rotorooters:

Francisco Cordero-R- Brewers Nov. 23 - 5:12 pm et

The Reds and Francisco Cordero have come to terms on a four-year, $46 million contract with an option for a fifth year, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
    If Rosenthal is correct, then $1 million per year is all it took to lure Cordero from a team set up to contend annually for the next several years to one that simply isn't. That the Reds spent this much on a guy who only figures to throw 70 innings per year shows precisely why they're going nowhere fast. Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season. He's only going to make so much of a difference.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season.

Weathers:
    38 chances

Cordero:
    51 chances

Yeah....that's comparable. Plus, it's not like Weathers is going anywhere.

Here's a Cordero stat that looks pretty sweet to me:

Career
    528 strikeouts
    506 IP
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Weathers:
    38 chances

Cordero:
    51 chances

I also like how the Brewers(offering 4 years, $42 million) and are going to contend for the next few years. But the Reds (4 years,$46 million) shows that by spending all this on one player, they won't go anywhere.

I've noticed the best deals in Free Agency are made by the teams that didn't actually spend the money and get the deal done. The laughable deals are made by the team that does spend the money and make the playoffs(see Cubs last year)
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Might have foiled the Skankees in the process. Now that is sweet!

Yankees' backup plan for Mariano Rivera is Francisco Cordero

BY ANTHONY McCARRON
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, November 18th 2007, 4:00 AM

While the Yankees wait on closer Mariano Rivera to formally accept their offer, they have taken steps toward addressing the rest of their bullpen, working toward bringing Luis Vizcaino back while identifying Francisco Cordero as their backup plan if talks with Rivera collapse.

About 10 days ago, the Yankees called Bean Stringfellow, the agent for both Vizcaino and Cordero, the 32-year-old righthander who saved 44games for the Brewers this year.

Stringfellow described the conversation as "general. We talked about Cordero and Vizcaino." Stringfellow said the Yankees asked about Cordero as a closer, not as a potential setup man, but the agent stressed that it was clear the Yankees wanted to re-sign Rivera.

The Yankees have a three-year, $45million deal on the table for Rivera, who had first balked because he wanted a fourth year added to the contract. Sources said Friday there were signs Rivera ultimately will accept the Yanks' proposal. Rivera was expected back from his trip to the Dominican Republic over the weekend, which means things could heat up quickly.

Vizcaino, the 33-year-old setup man who was 8-2 with a 4.30 ERA in 77games in his first year with the Yankees, wants to return to the Bronx.

"They're interested in bringing him back and he's interested in coming back," Stringfellow said. "We agreed to talk at a later date, perhaps this week. We've gotten numerous calls on Luis. He enjoyed his stay in New York."
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Weathers:
    38 chances

Cordero:
    51 chances

Not only that, but comparing relievers by blown saves is like measuring a starter by his W/L record. Everything can be deadpanned, but that doesn't make it a good argument.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not only that, but comparing relievers by blown saves is like measuring a starter by his W/L record. Everything can be deadpanned, but that doesn't make it a good argument.
    I've never cared for saves as a stat anyway. Guys on good teams are going to get more chances or you can have those saves where a three run lead ends up being a one run win.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yep. In a sea of pathetic sportswriter blurbs, that one just about takes the cake.

Incidentally, these folks cash a check to write stuff like the above.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

On the surface at least, it appears the Reds are willing to do what it takes to win. Like I said, on the surface. That's a lot of money for one player, especially a closer. My fear is that this is all they feel is needed to shore up the pitching staff. It goes a long way toward doing that, but we still need a No. 2 starter and I don't think the money is there to get one.

It's pretty obvious that Griffey and Dunn aren't going anywhere and will play most days, so there will be no salary dump there. The logical thing would be to move Hatteberg and Freel, but they hold little value that would bring a good starter to the Reds. And then there's Stanton--what in the world do you do with him. I don't think they'll eat his salary. They just spent potentially $50+ million.

I have to give a big old attaboy to Krivsky for being so bold as to do this, but I wonder when the other shoe will drop. Maybe it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I've never cared for saves as a stat anyway. Guys on good teams are going to get more chances or you can have those saves where a three run lead ends up being a one run win.
    I hate saves, I want a real save stat, guys on base and the winning run at the plate or something like that.
    Go Gators!

Here's what other fans across the league are saying...most people are dissing the move.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3124583

As I said in the other thread, this is great news. I would've preferred going after Percival and Wood instead of Cordero, but hard to complain about this deal. Hopefully they can trade for a good starter to compliment this and hopefully somehow pry away another good reliever as well.

Since I know someone can tell me this off the top of their head, what does this put the estimated Reds payroll at for 2008? I know there are some arb eligible players who haven't been given raises yet, but in terms of a projected payroll?

Awesome. A true over-powering arm for the pen. This is the kind of lights-out guy that's been lacking here for quite a while.

The price is pretty steep for the Reds, but, it's obviously within Krivsky's budget parameters. I'm excited to see what comes next.

Building a baseball team is not a linear event that is dictated by an A + B = C mentality, sometimes you build it as the market reveals it, if you're waiting for that one magic move that jibes with the reality you've constructed about how the Reds and other teams are going to build their teams core and future then you'll probably spend most of your time calling them names and insulting their attempt to create something the real and ever changing marketplace.

If I see photos of Wayne Krivsky in the pool at the winter meetings with a Corona I'll complain about the next step, until then I'll savor this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Cordero

Nice little blurb on Francisco on Wikipedia.

Already reporting him as a Red, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?