Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Re: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Maybe I'm wrong, but Maloney strikes me precisely as the sort of guy who's likely to end up in that spot starter role over the course of his career.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe a spot for Jerry Sowers if the Reds can pry him from the Indians.

Listen, Jerry, you are playing for the Reds one way or another!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but Maloney strikes me precisely as the sort of guy who's likely to end up in that spot starter role over the course of his career.
    Me too, but I'd rather they leave him in AAA and maintain the illusiion that he can be something more. IMO his value lies in what he may bring back in a deal. The Reds could use another "find" and if its to be Rule 5, it seems that role is the most logical in terms of needing some one to fill it and in terms of being able to hide a guy on the roster while seeing what he has. Defensive IF may be another spot, but the Reds position player group is pretty crowded right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't see the Reds going Rule V this year. The roster is maxed out, the bench looks much better and the team seems to be gearing for a run at the Central title.

To get back to the names first posted by Doc Scott, does anybody besides me think that Fernando Hernandez's numbers are pretty interesting? Here's last year: 2007 Birmingham Sou 22 Chw AA 1 3 3.06 60 0 0 0 27 9 85.1 73 30 29 4 23 84 4 0 7.70 0.42 2.43 8.86 1.13 -- His numbers from the other years are quite consistent with these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I don't see the Reds going Rule V this year. The roster is maxed out, the bench looks much better and the team seems to be gearing for a run at the Central title.
    Frankly I think Jerry Gil could come off the 40 man, his odds of ever being what they may hope seem slim too me. That said they may look to replace him with another SS like the one M2 mentioned, Diory Hernandez. Only they know if he can field, I'm sure he cannot if he is ava. because he seems to do pretty fair at the plate.

And after looking at #'s he seems to make a lot of errors, only a .955 Fldg. % in the minors. He does look pretty good at 2B though, .994 albeit in a much smaller sample size 311 games at SS and only 49 at 2nd.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I grew up watching Tug McGraw. I amazed more pitchers don't throw screwballs.
    Tom Browning seemed to have some sucess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    To get back to the names first posted by Doc Scott, does anybody besides me think that Fernando Hernandez's numbers are pretty interesting? Here's last year: 2007 Birmingham Sou 22 Chw AA 1 3 3.06 60 0 0 0 27 9 85.1 73 30 29 4 23 84 4 0 7.70 0.42 2.43 8.86 1.13 -- His numbers from the other years are quite consistent with these as well.
    Yes. He jumped out at me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Randor Bierd and Matt Whitney are two guys I would love to take a chance on. Bierd throws a sinking 90-93 mph fastball, to go along with a solid slider and average changeup. Whitney belted 32 homers last year and is willing to take a walk. He could provide some solid RH power off the bench.

Fernando Hernandez also looks like a potential solid target.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-29-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=674

Blogged update on all things Rule 5 from BA.

One new name: Padres RHR Paul Abraham, 27, who put up very good numbers in Double-A and the Venezuelan Winter League this year. Former indy baller released by Texas a few years ago.

If he's still on the board, Hernandez looks clearly like he's worth a shot.

Not to thread jack but what about this guy http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=6359

Recently dfa'd by the Cardinals.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Not to thread jack but what about this guy http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=6359

He's a left-handed outfielder who strikes out a lot. I wouldn't mind having him in AAA (the Reds desperately need depth at the corner positions in AAA), but I wouldn't count on him helping the Reds at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post

You might want to bring that up under the Six-Year FA thread. This is Rule 5 discussion.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=675

Rumors that the Rays will take Cleveland OF Brian Barton with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft Thursday.

Turn Off Ads?