Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Re: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Baseball America will be following along with the draft through their blog.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?cat=18

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mr. Serafini you are typing extra fast this morning. Is it just coffee spurring you on?

All natural baby! Though I will admit to cutting and pasting the next part:

The first pick goes to the Rays taking righthander Tim Lahey from the Twins. He’s a converted catcher from Princeton who throws 90-92 mph with a slider. The Twins also have a connection to the second player picked, as the Pirates took the Rays righthander Evan Meek.

Randor Bierd goes third to the Orioles; lefty Jose Capellan goes to the Giants next. We’ve written up Bierd; Capellan is a young lefty with a bad body but decent stuff who was at Lowell.

Screwballer Carlos Guevara goes to the Marlins, and the Reds follow with Sergio Valenzuela from the Braves organization.

The Marlins took Guevara. Big surprise there.

Reds follow with Sergio Valenzuela from the Braves organization.

Per BA
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I hope to God Valenzuela is a misprint.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...lenzuela.shtml

Matt Whitney to the Nats, and the Astros take Wes Wright from the Dodgers, a lefthander. The picks are coming fast and furious, too fast for commentary right now, but no bombshells yet. Tim Lahey I can blog on a bit while we have a pause; he wasn’t making the Twins’ Top 30 prospects that I was working on yesterday in my hotel room. But we hear he’s getting traded to the Cubs.

Oakland just took White Sox righty Fernando Hernandez from the White Sox. Did Chris Kline have this covered in the preview or what?

Brian Barton to the Cardinals; the Twins pass, first team to do so, followed by the Dodgers. The Blue Jays took Randy Wells from the Cubs organization, the first player I can’t think of anything to blog about.

Cubs pass.

The Twins lose another player, but it’s Triple-A veteran R.A. Dickey; the Mariners took him. The Mets then took Rockies closer prospect Steven Register from the Rockies. Mike Gardner, who has a low 90s fastball, goes to the Padres; Gardner was in the Yankees organization. The Phillies took Aussie lefty Travis Blackley; I’m guessing they saw him good in the World Cup last month. The Rockies passed, and the Diamondbacks , Indians and Red Sox did likewise. Round One is done.

Everyone passing in the second round but the Nationals go again, taking Garrett Guzman from the Twins. Wow, the Twins are losing some guys. Guzman’s another guy from Chris’ preview. Again, he was on it.

The Padres took Callix Crabbe from the Brewers system in the second round, but we’re almost done it would seem. The Phillies took Lincoln Holdkom, a hard-throwing righty from the Red Sox that Boston thought it might lose, but certainly didn’t fear losing.

The third round has no picks, 18 selections in the major league phase overall, and we’re done. Commentary to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I hope to God Valenzuela is a misprint.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...lenzuela.shtml
    Those are some ugly numbers and at a low level too.

Draft's all done.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Maybe we made this pick for someone else, maybe the Jays wanted him? I don't see how this guy was worth letting Cantu go. I would have to guess that we could have gotten a better prospect by trading Cantu and he wouldn't have had to stay on the 40 to keep him.

And this Valenzuela kid is going to stick in the majors when he can't get anyone out in low A ball...what a wasted pick...at least Allison would have at least had a chance in a milion...

Turn Off Ads?