Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Re: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

I started this week with high hopes. Now I'm pretty confused about what the Reds are doing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

If given the chance I would like to ask WK about this pick tomorrow at Redsfest. I just do not see the value. Not only is he not getting hitters out in low levels, he looks to have struggled almost everywhere . RHP Sergio Valenzuela -- A non-drafted free agent in 2001, Valenzuela has spent the last three seasons playing at the rookie level and is hoping to use the offseason to break out of that mold. After spending two seasons in the Gulf Coast League, the right-hander had a 6.04 ERA with the Danville Braves in the Appalachian League. In two appearances with the Venados de Mazatlan, Valenzuela has a 3.00 ERA.

Here comes the minor league phase, Triple-A phase first.

Rays select Rashad Eldridge, outfielder, from the Twins system. Then the Pirates take righthander Josh Hill, from — surprise! — the Twins. Lefthander Ray Liotta, who has had offseason shoulder surgery, goes third to the Royals. The Orioles take lefty Ryan Rodriguez, Liotta’s former teammate in the White Sox organization, and the Giants round out the top five with Padres shortstop Juan Ciriaco.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Wow the Twins are really getting picked on.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Color me confused that Wayne "Rule V" Krivsky thinks higher of a guy like Sergio Valenzuela than Carlos Guevara or Calvin Medlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I started this week with high hopes. Now I'm pretty confused about what the Reds are doing.
    I can't jump to any conclusions. I'll have to see how it shakes out, what scouting reports are, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he's moving along, but he's done alright in the Mexican Winter League

Code:
    TeamLge W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG 
    MAZ LMP 0 2 3.73 8 6 0 0 0 31.1 31 17 13 0 11 12 1.08 .263
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Color me confused that Wayne "Rule V" Krivsky thinks higher of a guy like Sergio Valenzuela than Carlos Guevara or Calvin Medlock.
    Second that. Can only hope Guevara doesn't get selected.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He went to Florida with the fifth pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The Marlins took him.

And the funny thing is that this Valenzuela isn't much bigger than either of the diminutive castoffs.

Seriously, the guy is 23 and does nothing well in A ball. I really am trying to find one decent thing about him. He doesn't miss bats. He doesn't have great control.

Is he Fernando's boy? Maybe Juan Castro's long lost cousin.

Jeez. I hope CTR can get some sort of an explanation. This is horrible. In the big picture, it probably doesn't matter, but seriously, what are they smoking?

At least we'll finally get to see Guevara get a shot. Given the Marlins roster, odds are he'll stick.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Reds take Juan Apodaca in the AAA phase - a catcher out of the Dodgers system.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If he is one of Juan Castro's long lost cousins that would make him one of Krivsky's long lost nephews since Castro is Krivsky's lovechild, right?

Seriously, what the hell is going on?

Time to get back to my bowl picks. Everything was going great until I prematurely jumped back into baseball. I'd rather just not know and resume roster analysis in 90 days.

I wonder if Wayne realizes these guys need to be on the 25 man roster. Picking guys who have never experienced success in A ball doesn't bode well for them.

My only thought is that both these guys have big injuries and will be DL'd the whole season.

Thirty-six players picked; the Double-A phase has begun. I’m going to keep my ears open for intersting names but frankly the biggest names I heard late in the Triple-A phase were guys like Luke Appert (former all-Big 10 player) and righty Ben Fritz, a part of the A’s "Moneyball" draft if I recall correctly, toward the end of the draft. The Double-A phase is passing rather uneventfully, in terms of names that I can recall. The Rangers took Francisco Cordova in the minor league phase, out of the Angels system, but I don’t think he’s the same guy the Pirates had in the late ’90s. Teams are passing left and right; very uneventful Double-A phase, not many picks at all. Looking at single digits.

Turn Off Ads?