Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Re: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    When I look at all the people available, my eye goes to the reliever with a sub 3.00 ERA and 11.63 K/9. I wish we could get a like that........
    Yeah, but he does it with a trick pitch...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's the BA list for Rule 5:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/265252.html

Randor Bierd could be a great pickup. Brian Barton supposedly played a bit indifferently last year, but I'd like to see Dusty Baker get ahold of him. Anyone know what sort of defensive chops Diory Hernandez has at SS? Of course, given his Twins routes can Wayne Krivsky stay away from Kyle Aselton?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Yeah, but he does it with a trick pitch...
    I don't care how he does it. Let him keep doing it until it stops working. Mariano Rivera has done pretty well for himself a single pitch. Are there more pitchers in the majors throwing screwballs than there are in AA?

The point is, if you aren't going to promote him when he's absolutely dominating, then why keep him in your system at all? They should have traded him if they didn't think his screwball would work. I wouldn't give up on a guy who's killing his league because I think he might not succeed as he moves up. I'd move him up and see how it goes.

I view him like knuckleballer who's a lot easier to catch. Tim Wakefield has had a fine career throwing essentially a single pitch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't care how he does it. Let him keep doing it until it stops working. Mariano Rivera has done pretty well for himself a single pitch. Are there more pitchers in the majors throwing screwballs than there are in AA?

The point is, if you aren't going to promote him when he's absolutely dominating, then why keep him in your system at all? They should have traded him if they didn't think his screwball would work. I wouldn't give up on a guy who's killing his league because I think he might not succeed as he moves up. I'd move him up and see how it goes.

I view him like knuckleballer who's a lot easier to catch. Tim Wakefield has had a fine career throwing essentially a single pitch.
    I agree with you RMR. I was just being a smart-aleck.

I grew up watching Tug McGraw. I amazed more pitchers don't throw screwballs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You are now assuming other teams think it will work too, and to be honest, maybe they don't see it working either. If thats the case, there is no point in trading him if your return is going to be someone who isn't going to be as successful in AA as Guevara.

I think folks are probably right that the big club isn't likely to strike gold two years in a row, but I wonder if there are any plums in the minor league phase.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I grew up watching Tug McGraw. I amazed more pitchers don't throw screwballs.
    I had always heard that screwballs were really hard on the arm. Dunno if that's true...Fernando sure seemed to make it work for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I had always heard that screwballs were really hard on the arm. Dunno if that's true...Fernando sure seemed to make it work for a long time.
    There are rumors out there that the screwball actually turns your arm over the more you throw it. Carl Hubbell threw a screwball for the better part of his career and legend has it that his palm faced outward as a result of it.

Are there any catch-and-throw catchers available in this year draft, and more specifically, one with some offensive upside? The catcher position strikes me as the organization's most pressing need for depth. I'm not opposed to carrying a young guy to caddy for Ross, particularly if he has a nice glove.

I don't imagine that Dusty would carry three catchers, but there are other options with Valentin (trade, DFA in Spring Training, or using him in the infield backup/PH/emergency catcher role).

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    Are there any catch-and-throw catchers available in this year draft, and more specifically, one with some offensive upside? The catcher position strikes me as the organization's most pressing need for depth. I'm not opposed to carrying a young guy to caddy for Ross, particularly if he has a nice glove.

I don't imagine that Dusty would carry three catchers, but there are other options with Valentin (trade, DFA in Spring Training, or using him in the infield backup/PH/emergency catcher role).
    Honestly, if we are looking for a catch and throw guy with maybe some offensive upside we need to resign Miguel Perez. No one has really ever questioned his defense. He is just 23 years old and showed some promise with the bat after having his rib removed this season.

I hope the reds take another flyer on a pitcher in the Rule V draft. I would want them to handle it the same way they handled Burton. Didn't Burton spend 2 rehab trips in the Minors? Im sure his injury wasn't that serious to DL him but I am also pretty sure that a Rule V player would be mad if he were on the MLB DL because of the money he would be making.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    There's a counterargument that it pronates the arm in a more natural direction than trying to snap off a curve or slider or splitter. Carl Hubbell's arm may have wound up with a funny bow to it, but that didn't keep him from having a phenomenal 16-year career.
    Last edited by M2; 11-29-2007 at 02:05 PM.

If Hughes is still availible when the Reds get to pick I would say grab him.The Reds can put him in the pen or start him.

The Reds need a guy who can pitch in the long relief/spot starter role who can give a lot of innings in blow outs. Seems a perfect spot for a Rule 5 guy and if he's a LH all the better. At worst it keeps the alternate starters like Maloney on regular turns in AAA instead of sitting in the pen with sporadic and uncertain use.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?