Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Santana Rumors

New Santana Rumors

Johan Demands Changed?

In this post written at 11am today, I outlined the seven or so clubs with a shot at acquiring Twins ace Johan Santana. However the acquisition of Delmon Young, Brendan Harris, and Jason Pridie from the Rays changes everything.

First, the loss of Matt Garza lessens the chances of trading Santana at least a little bit. The Twins have pitching depth, but that'd be 40% of their 2007 rotation gone. It was probably always the case, but it's definite now that if the Twins trade Santana this winter they need a very good MLB-ready starter in return.

Second, the Twins no longer need any outfielders. Sure, they could add another center fielder to be safe or even move Michael Cuddyer back to third base. But in my mind third base becomes the primary need for the Twins.

So now Bill Smith should be looking for an elite young hurler and a similar young third baseman. The Yankees and Red Sox can't offer that. The Mets, Mariners, and Cubs don't have it either. The Angels might - Nick Adenhart and Brandon Wood. The Dodgers could pull it off too, with Andy LaRoche and Chad Billingsley. How about a wild card like the Reds? They've got Homer Bailey and Edwin Encarnacion. And I imagine the Twins would find a way to work Jay Bruce in if they could get him.
    -mlbtraderumors.com

Matt Clement to the Reds is a possibility I hadn't considered. Clement did pitch for Dusty Baker with the Cubs.
    -mlbtraderumors.com

NEW
    While the Rangers have a touch of interest in Adam Dunn and Coco Crisp, they prefer the idea of acquiring a young bat. Names they like: Fernando Martinez, Carlos Gomez, Carlos Gonzalez, and Matt Kemp. Sullivan notes that the Rangers have talked to the Reds about Josh Hamilton.
    -mlbtraderumors.com

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NorrisHopper30; 11-28-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Santana Rumors

Unless we sign him to 5 years $100 and we give them nothing more than Homer, Edwin, and Maloney or something of that nature. Bruce should be off limits and no two of the top four should go to them for Santana.

I would hate to give up Bruce, but I am still a proponent of trading prospects (no matter how good) for one of the best starting pitcher in baseball right now. Especially when there is at least a possibility of contending this year.

I would definitely be willing to do Homer and EE on the condition we could work out some kind of deal with Santana.

I would try like crazy not to give up Bruce. I would rather throw in Hamilton and keep Bruce. (I know, completely the opposite of what I wrote above)

Jay Bruce is way too good to give up for Santana. Granted Santana is a stud, but one year isn't enough. Bruce is sure to be a MLB star for years to come.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

mlbtraderumors also mentioned that the Texas Rangers have been looking at Josh Hamilton. Who whould we want from them? I can already see Krivsky pulling a Hamilton for Padilla swap
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I'd rather trade for Haren than Santana. While I believe Santana is better, Haren is not far behind and his salary is still controlled by the club and arbitration.

Santana only being 1 year and having his numbers going downhill dont interest me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I'd rather trade for Haren than Santana. While I believe Santana is better, Haren is not far behind and his salary is still controlled by the club and arbitration.
    I completely agree with you. You can't go wrong with Oakland pitching, and I think we would have to give up much less for Haren than Santana.

Yea id rather trade for Haren, Bedard, or Kazmir, id probably even give up more to get thsoe guys than I would for Santana

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    You can't go wrong with Oakland pitching
    Mark Mulder and Kirk Sarloos say hello.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Sarloos was never good

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Mark Mulder and Kirk Sarloos say hello.
    Were they traded for or signed in FA?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Jay Bruce is way too good to give up for Santana. Granted Santana is a stud, but one year isn't enough. Bruce is sure to be a MLB star for years to come.

Jay Bruce is way too good to give up for the best pitcher in baseball? c'mon Bruce hasnt even played a major league game. Unless Bruce is gunna hit .360 with 50 Hrs every year this is next to a no brainer. Give them Bruce, Bailey, and EE for Santana in a heartbeat if we are willing to give him big time money to stick around for a few years. The Reds have NEVER had a pitcher at Santana's level........ this is the kinda pitcher we need to win. Imagine Santana to go along with Harang.
    Last edited by Doro; 11-28-2007 at 06:42 PM.

For the money and talent that it would take to get Santana (they are asking for Ellsbury & Buchholz plus others from the Red Sox), I think it would be in the Reds best interest to look at Haren or Bedard. I really think we could get Bedard without having to give up Bailey or Cueto. The O's need hitting and we have some to spare. Getting an ace like Bedard while also keeping our best pitching prospects would be a major accomplishment for Wayne/Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    Jay Bruce is way too good to give up for the best pitcher in baseball? c'mon Bruce hasnt even played a major league game. Unless Bruce is gunna hit .360 with 50 Hrs every year this is next to a no brainer. Give them Bruce, Bailey, and EE for Santana in a heartbeat if we are willing to give him big time money to stick around for a few years. The Reds have NEVER had a pitcher at Santana's level........ this is the kinda pitcher we need to win.
    I dont like Santanas work load honestly, his numbers are kinda sliding and hes been a freaking work horse. I could see him falling off quickly in a couple years.

Turn Off Ads?