Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-28-07. Marty and Thom were the hosts tonight. Because of Xavier hoops, the show was on WLW for the 1st half hour and HOMER for the 2nd half hour. Thom announced the official Francisco Cordero signing. Thom and Marty said that the Reds are making a statement with this signing. Thom said that Dusty was a huge factor in getting Cordero to come to Cincy. Thom also referenced a column by SI's Tom Verducci that said the Reds had a good chance to make the playoffs next year. Marty said that Cordero has a big gap between his home and road stats. Thom said that he's not concerned with the ERA but he's more concerned with the blown saves. He said he couldn't be the full time closer in TEX and had problems in MIL but he also said that by the end of last year there wasn't anyone in the NL that you'd want coming in with a lead than Cordero. Marty said he's unhittable when he's on top of his game.

After commercials, the first caller reiterated Marty's thoughts about how Cordero was lousy on the road but good at home and the Reds are paying him $10M to be good at home. Marty said that's a bit harsh and perhaps last season was a fluke. Marty didn't know how he was before last season on the road. Marty said he's not ready to say he's not worth the money that will be paid. Marty said that a player is worth what the market will bear and the Reds have made a major statement with this signing. The caller agreed but said he didn't think they spent their money wisely. Thom said it's easy to say he'll be a bust now and in two years he may be right but if he were a betting man he would bet on Cordero having a great year.

The next caller asked about the rest of the pitching and are the Reds gong to do anything different. Thom said the Reds are much stronger in the bullpen than they were last year. There are question marks in there but between Weathers, Cordero, Burton and Bray they're a lot stronger than they were last year. Thom said the rotation is a problem but he thinks the Reds will address that between now and ST. He thinks that if Bailey and Cueto are the 3rd and 4th starters that it may not be such a bad thing and they have to learn to pitch in the majors sometime. Marty said that he never thought the Reds would sign someone for that kind of money on a closer but its almost like bringing in 2 pitchers because everybody moves up an inning. As far as the starters go, Marty doesn't' think Bronson is a #2 starter in a quality rotation and he's a #3 guy at best. If the Reds can go out and get a legit #2 guy and move Bronson to the #3 slot, you have something. Marty said there aren't very many weaknesses in the every day lineup and the bench is very strong. Because of the depth, the Reds could possibly trade someone to get that #2 starter. (Easier said than done). Thom thinks the Reds will be busy on the trade front.

After commercials Reds Community Fund director Charlie Frank called in to pimp Reds Fest. Most of this info can be found on the Reds website so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail.

After commercial Marty and Thom named the players and former players who would be at Reds Fest.

The next caller said that the Cordero signing is a great thing and Reds fans should be excited about it. He was a former season ticket holder and now he wants to get them again. He said that he thinks Wayne doesn't believe Bronson is a #2 starter either and thinks he's going to go out and get a #2 starter. Thom said what the caller said was good to hear. Thom said from what he's read and seen that the Reds have the foundation necessary to have a good team for several years.

The next caller agreed with the last caller and said he's looking forward to next season.

Marty said that Friday is the last day to vote for Joe to get into the broadcasters wing of the HOF. Thom said he couldn't thank the police enough who donated their pay the day of the funeral to the Joe Nuxhall Character Education Fund. Thom said that Davey Johnson and Bob Howsam are eligible for the Veterans committee HOF voting and both Brennamans felt Howsam should have been in a long time ago.

The next caller said that he thinks the Cordero signing shows a commitment to winning and it's something Reds management hasn't shown for years. He also asked if Cueto could make the rotation next year. Marty said he's pitching great in winter ball with a 4-0 record and a 2.67 ERA. Marty said people were telling him last year that Cueto was closer to being in the big leagues than Homer was. Marty said we will see what the Reds will do as far as giving him a shot to make the pitching staff.

Unfortunately I had a problem with the timer that ran my tape recorder so that's all of the show I got tonight. Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-28-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Sean Casey meter - 0
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Thanks Chip. I actually agree with Marty with his comments on Arroyo. However, I disagree that it would not be such a bad thing having Bailey and Cueto as the 3/4 starters...I think that would make for another long season.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Unfortunately I had a problem with the timer that ran my tape recorder so that's all of the show I got tonight. Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-28-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Way to go Rose Mary Woods! :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The Hot Stove League should NEVER be cut short on WLW for Xavier basketball, nobody cares anyway.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Thanks for the report Chipster

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The Hot Stove League should NEVER be cut short on WLW for Xavier basketball, nobody cares anyway.

Contracts my friend...contracts. The only thing that bumps X is UC or Bengals...

This is the first year, that I recall, or since I've been around, that we keep the show a half hour even though WLW has to break away....it's on HOMER.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-28-2007 at 09:52 PM.

I can't imagine that Bailey and Cueto would both be in the rotation. I also can't imagine the Reds going this off-season without adding a good starting pitcher.

Just can't believe that the Reds spent so much for a closer unless they also intended to upgrade the rotation. Why spend so much on a closer if you intend to have a second rate rotation? It's like buying a new suit, but not spending for a shirt and tie.

I continue to think (guess) that Hamilton will be the marquee name in a deal for a pitcher. I expect the Reds will trade multiple players and prospects in such a deal, but not Bruce, Bailey or Cueto. Maybe a Freel and Travis Wood combo, with Hammy, or some other collection of players and prospects.

Just a guess, but I think the next couple of weeks could be fun. Or at least interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

Contracts my friend...contracts. The only thing that bumps X is UC or Bengals...

This is the first year, that I recall, or since I've been around, that we keep the show a half hour even though WLW has to break away....it's on HOMER.
    Can they aim a little more of that 1530 signal directly north? I can't stand the Xavier pregame show, and I have even less tolerance, for the game. I listen to all the UC games, but X drives me nuts!

How many more Xavier/UC games will interfere with the RHSL?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Can they aim a little more of that 1530 signal directly north? I can't stand the Xavier pregame show, and I have even less tolerance, for the game. I listen to all the UC games, but X drives me nuts!

How many more Xavier/UC games will interfere with the RHSL?
    Looks like there's 9...or so - always subject to change I would say.

Shootout night, it's on HOMER only...and on Dec. 26th, there's no show
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-28-2007 at 10:13 PM.

The HSL should be two hours. What with news/commercials there's usually about ten minutes of show.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The HSL should be two hours. What with news/commercials there's usually about ten minutes of show.
    It's come up....

Don't know if it will ever change, but it has come up

On the other hand, considering the average caller, 10 minutes might be TOO much.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It's come up....

Don't know if it will ever change, but it has come up
    Please see if they can extend it a few times over the offseason. I mean right now they have how many different Bengals Sportstalk sections, three? (monday, wednesday, thursday), it gets downright boring. More Reds talk, other than Seg on Saturday, and tonight the Cordero signing had not been discussed on WLW.

Not sure what say I have, but I would imagine if there's any changes, it wouldn't occur until next year. I like the idea, though.

I'll pass it along anyway.

The thing with Bengals SportsTalk (and I agree, it's a little overdone. The mid-week one, without TJ, seems kind of just thrown in there)...it is football season.

Plus, the advertising time and sponsors are sold accordingly.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-28-2007 at 10:28 PM.

even if they extended the show 30 more minutes.. that would be alot better than 10 minutes show the rest commercials.. thats always been my beef about the hot stove show.. anyway thanks for putting in a good word for us Matt!!

Turn Off Ads?