Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins close to trading Garza

Twins close to trading Garza

Twins close to deal to land Young, four others from Rays

Scott Miller Nov. 28, 2007
    By Scott Miller
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The Minnesota Twins are closing in on a major trade, though not the one most of the baseball world is awaiting.
    Advertisement

While talks continue surrounding two-time Cy Young winner Johan Santana, the Twins are moving swiftly in attempting to replace Torii Hunter's bat in their lineup, lining up a deal with Tampa Bay in which the Twins would acquire outfielder Delmon Young and two others for right-hander Matt Garza, shortstop Jason Bartlett and reliever Juan Rincon.

Multiple sources said the deal was close late Wednesday, though the Rays, according to those with knowledge of the talks, are said to be holding things up because of concerns regarding medical reports on Rincon's elbow.

The deal, which will also send shortstop Brendan Harris and outfielder Jason Pridie to Minnesota, has been close for a couple of days and is expected to either be completed or killed by Thursday.

If consummated, the Twins will net a talented but enigmatic corner outfielder. Young played in all 162 games this summer and finished second to Boston's Dustin Pedroia in the AL Rookie of the Year voting, batting .288 with 13 homers and 93 RBI.

But he also was criticized on multiple occasions for a failure to hustle, and the issue came to a head when Rays manager Joe Maddon yanked him from a game during the season's final weekend in Toronto. Young, the brother of major leaguer Dmitri, just turned 22 in September and Maddon acknowledged before the incident during an interview in September that he simply has some growing up to do, and added that he is confident that Young will mature quickly.

Based on the end of his season, however, some unwanted attention undoubtedly will follow him to Minnesota, and whether Twins manager Ron Gardenhire can control him will be an issue.

Not only did things turn ugly between Young and Maddon on the season's final weekend -- "I'll see you guys next year," Young said angrily during a profanity-laced, post-game tirade after being yanked. "I'm shut down for (Sunday)" -- before the outfielder apologized, Young also was suspended for 50 games while playing for Triple-A Durham two summers ago following a bat-tossing incident.

There is no question, though, that Young has skills: He led all AL rookies this season in games played (162), hits (186), RBI (93), total bases (263), batting average with runners in scoring position (.349), multi-hit games (55) and outfield assists (16).

And the fact that the Twins would trade for him simply emphasizes the fact that, following Hunter's departure and on the eve of a likely Santana trade, they are navigating their way through what perhaps will be the most unsettling offseason in franchise history. Normally, the Twins veer away from players with the sort of baggage carried by Young.

Garza, a first-round pick in 2005, was 5-7 with a 3.69 ERA in 16 appearances (15 starts) for the Twins in 2007. He never could get a firm grip in the rotation, though he is still well-regarded in the game as a coming talent and at least one major league executive Wednesday applauded the pitching-thin Rays for apparently acquiring a potential top-shelf starter.

A lot of us were hoping that the Reds would be able to land Garza, so this comes as a little bit of bad news.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Twins close to trading Garza

Question is, what does this tell us about the Reds plans. You would have to think that with Hamilton and Gonzo to offer, and with Waynes past with the Twins that we could have landed Garza if we had wanted to. Do we have someone else in mind, are we happy with what we have? I would say that this is in a way a positive, like I said I have to believe that with what the Twins got for Garza we should have been able to put a deal together to get him, and Wayne should know quite a bit about Garza. Does this mean that he has his eyes on someone even better, did he not want him to begin with. Also notice Brendan Harris was traded yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    You would have to think that with Hamilton and Gonzo to offer, and with Waynes past with the Twins that we could have landed Garza if we had wanted to.
    Just because WK has connections with the Twins doesn't mean we can get Garza for Hamilton and Gonzo. Look at what the Devil Rays are giving up. Delmon Young and Jason Pridie and probably some more. Wayne says he has contacted every team concerning pitching. If he could have gotten Garza for a good price, I believe he would have done it.

I trust Krivsky in finding good deals and I think he understands how important keeping a farm system is.

I like how we are running right now. Build with our talent and buy players to fill in the holes. Especially if the ownership is going to commit to spending cash.

I believe (and hope) that WK is going for better pitching than Garza.

I don't think i would trade Hamilton for Garza. He definitely has potential, but i think hamilton has shown more at this level. Hamilton has the ability to be a real stud, he obviously proved that after the way he played despite such a lengthy time away from baseball.

Garza is overrated and seems like a cancer. The Twins reportedly asked him to work on his offspeed stuff when they sent him to the minors last year and he simply didn't want to. He thought he was good enough without them. If the Twins are looking to trade Santana, even if they get 1 or 2 young arms in return, I don't think you trade a pitcher who you think will be an eventual AS.

That trade makes me say "so what". Just a change of scenery for a bunch of one time highly rated prospects that have fallen slightly short of expectations. But then again, Brandon Phillips is working out just fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    That trade makes me say "so what". Just a change of scenery for a bunch of one time highly rated prospects that have fallen slightly short of expectations. But then again, Brandon Phillips is working out just fine!!!!
    There were a lot of us on both forums who were willing to approve a Garza for Hamilton trade.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    There were a lot of us on both forums who were willing to approve a Garza for Hamilton trade.

Not me.

I'm in the Bedard, Peavy, Kazmir trade camp - because they have a few more years left on their contracts unlike Santana. I'd also take a #2 starter on some of those teams that we won't have to give up quite as much. I listed them on another thread a few days ago.

Garza doesn't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Not me.

I'm in the Bedard, Peavy, Kazmir trade camp - because they have a few more years left on their contracts unlike Santana. I'd also take a #2 starter on some of those teams that we won't have to give up quite as much. I listed them on another thread a few days ago.

Garza doesn't do much for me.
    I agree- I think Garza is overrated and I'm glad to see he is gone. However, I'm in my own camp, I think, which says trade for a pitcher somewhere between one the the aces and the "gap bridgers"... you know, a rich hill, ian snell kind of pitcher...

forget Garza.......Seeing that price for Delmon Young sure makes me wish the Reds would have moved something along the lines of a Bailey/Fisher package for him. A Hamilton/Bruce/Young OF would be awesome, and surely you could get starting caliber pitching from Dunn/Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    forget Garza.......Seeing that price for Delmon Young sure makes me wish the Reds would have moved something along the lines of a Bailey/Fisher package for him. A Hamilton/Bruce/Young OF would be awesome, and surely you could get starting caliber pitching from Dunn/Jr.
    Dunn/Jr have no trade clauses and Delmon Young is also overrated with quite a bit of baggage...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Dunn/Jr have no trade clauses and Delmon Young is also overrated with quite a bit of baggage...
    I understand that about Dunn and Jr, but they aren't untradeable.

As for Delmon being overrated........what's your source? I see a guy who hit 97 rbi's in his first full season in the majors, and has one of the top 3 arms in the majors as an outfielder. Excuse me if I fail to see how that makes him overrated.

Turn Off Ads?