Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ray King as help? he has lost weight!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ray King as help? he has lost weight!!

per Denver Post paper:

he left-handed Ray King went 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA last season with the Washington Nationals and Milwaukee Brewers. Even though he held left-handers to a .187 average in 75 at-bats, interest has been mild this winter, in part, over weight concerns. King, however, has dropped from 264 at season's end to 245 pounds by coaching youth football, AAU basketball and helping out with his son's competitive travel baseball team. The market for left-handed relievers is expected to accelerate once free agent Ron Mahay signs. The Rockies' showed initial interest in Mahay, but cooled when learning that he wanted a three-year deal. -- Denver Post

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Ray King as help? he has lost weight!!

Well, if he's lost 20 pounds (by coaching?? don't professional athletes EXERCISE?) and Wayne wants to throw him against a wall to see if he sticks, he'll have a better chance of sticking at the lower weight....

No thanks. We already have Mike Stanton in the large lefty LOOGY role. (I know Stanton's not strictly a LOOGY, but I couldn't help myself...)

I was curious about King's history with us. I see we drafted him and ultimately traded him as a minor leaguer (along with Chad Fox, another minor leaguer who became short lived ML pitcher) for Mike Kelly. And then I looked at Kelly and wondered why we gave up two pitching prospects for a 4th outfielder. Decent return on him though - we traded Kelly to Tampa Bay to get back Dmitri Young (who we'd just gotten from St. Louis a week earlier) - presumably a pre-arranged trade to keep Young with us. I'd forgotten that.

Anyway, I wouldn't be adverse to offering King a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training, particularly if we can move Stanton's contract.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was curious about King's history with us. I see we drafted him and ultimately traded him as a minor leaguer (along with Chad Fox, another minor leaguer who became short lived ML pitcher) for Mike Kelly. And then I looked at Kelly and wondered why we gave up two pitching prospects for a 4th outfielder. Decent return on him though - we traded Kelly to Tampa Bay to get back Dmitri Young (who we'd just gotten from St. Louis a week earlier) - presumably a pre-arranged trade to keep Young with us. I'd forgotten that.

Anyway, I wouldn't be adverse to offering King a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training, particularly if we can move Stanton's contract.
    As I remember, Mike Kelley was a formerly highly thought of prospect that never really put it together. I think the Reds were rolling the dice that he'd somehow put it together in Cincy. In other words, I think Kelley was veiwed as a potential starter.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think we picked up Kelley before DYoung.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for bringing winning baseball back to Cincy -- it was nice while it lasted..

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    As I remember, Mike Kelley was a formerly highly thought of prospect that never really put it together. I think the Reds were rolling the dice that he'd somehow put it together in Cincy. In other words, I think Kelley was veiwed as a potential starter.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think we picked up Kelley before DYoung.
    Yes, we picked up Kelly just before the 1996 season. He played for us for two seasons and then was traded to Tampa Bay on November 11, 1997 for a PTBNL. We acquired Dmitri Young on November 10, 1997 (for Jeff Brantley - don't ask my father-in-law about this - he's still ticked). Tampa Bay then selected Young in the expansion draft and he became the PTBNL on November 18th, the day of the draft. Complicated, yes - I can't remember the specifics as to why this came down like this. Perhaps we were afraid we'd lose Young to Arizona, but I can't remember.

Kelly (just one "e", BTW) was a #1 pick for the Braves in 1991.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Kelly was a highly touted 5 tool talent who was supposed to be a big time player. He was one of Jimbo's 5 tool fetish guys that he grabbed after initial disappointment same as Regiie Taylor and the Ruebens - Rivera and Matteo. The Reds should be on the phone with Jimbo right now dangling Drew Stubbs IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Wow! He's down to 245. You're a rail, Ray. You're wasting away, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

At least if he's playing for us he is less likely to sit on the shoulders of our best hitters.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If he wants to lose weight, he should just get addicted to crack. It worked for Josh Hamilton, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If he wants to lose weight, he should just get addicted to crack. It worked for Josh Hamilton, anyway.
    Ummmm.... Josh Hamilton was 300 pounds? This sounds like something I'd expect from a Cubs fan, not from one of our own.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Ummmm.... Josh Hamilton was 300 pounds? This sounds like something I'd expect from a Cubs fan, not from one of our own.
    Josh Hamilton lost a lot of weight due to drug use. I'm not actually condoning drug use, but people feel like it's okay to make fun of those with food addictions, so what difference does it make if you reference a drug addiction?

I'm not wishing harm on anyone, and Josh Hamilton seems to have recovered (and for that, I'm very happy for him). Ray King apparently has a weight problem, and I wish better health for him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Josh Hamilton lost a lot of weight due to drug use. I'm not actually condoning drug use, but people feel like it's okay to make fun of those with food addictions, so what difference does it make if you reference a drug addiction?

I'm not wishing harm on anyone, and Josh Hamilton seems to have recovered (and for that, I'm very happy for him). Ray King apparently has a weight problem, and I wish better health for him, too.
    While I fully appreciate that struggles with weight and food should be taken seriously, I think equating it with crack in a real context is hardly appropriate, or at least fair.

In any case, I don't think we need Ray King.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

In any case, I don't think we need Ray King.
    Ditto. Besides, once most of the signings and trades are done King will get an offer somewhere. He'll be one of the first of this winter's "scrap pickings".

FWIW, Ray King has one of my favorite Dugout names: raking_leaves
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Turn Off Ads?