Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #10 Prospect?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Dickerson

3 3.30%
  • Danny Dorn

14 15.38%
  • Carlos Fisher

8 8.79%
  • Juan Francisco

1 1.10%
  • Carlos Guevara

2 2.20%
  • Sam Lecure

1 1.10%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

10 10.99%
  • Devin Mesoraco

27 29.67%
  • Tyler Pelland

6 6.59%
  • Adam Rosales

5 5.49%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

3 3.30%
  • Justin Turner

1 1.10%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
  • Pedro Viola

3 3.30%
  • Brandon Waring

4 4.40%
  • Sean Watson

3 3.30%
  • Other (specify in thread)

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #10

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #10

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You have to look at where the votes are coming from and going to. Who voted for Thompson last time, and who did they vote for this time?
    yeah none of them have voted yet. How did you get so smart DougDirt?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for posting that scouting report on Mesoraco, doug. That is such a thorough description, and informs your optimism regarding his future progress. It would be so great if he could manifest his ability sooner than later because the Reds so badly need help at that position. I'm voting for him.

The Reds drafted Mesoraco because he was the best catcher available in the draft. You need to remember that it was a down year for catchers in the draft. A player drafted in the 3rd round in 2006 could be a much better prospect than a 1st rd pick in 2007 based on the talent in the draft. I will have a better feel on Mesoraco after he gets a full year under his belt. He is not in my top 10. I went Dorn again based on results not projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    The Reds drafted Mesoraco because he was the best catcher available in the draft. You need to remember that it was a down year for catchers in the draft. A player drafted in the 3rd round in 2006 could be a much better prospect than a 1st rd pick in 2007 based on the talent in the draft. I will have a better feel on Mesoraco after he gets a full year under his belt. He is not in my top 10. I went Dorn again based on results not projections.
    Actually I believe that title belongs to Matt Wieters.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

A down year for catchers? There were 8 catchers chosen in the first 64 picks. That is a high number compared to previous years.
    Mesoraco the best catcher in the draft? Have you ever seen Matt Wieters? He's a very good ballplayer - which is why he was chosen 5th overall and given a hugh contract for 6 million dollars by Baltimore.
    Last edited by Betterread; 11-29-2007 at 09:39 PM.

A player drafted in the 3rd round in 2006 could be a much better prospect than a 1st rd pick in 2007 based on the talent in the draft.
    Actually, 2007 was a much better year than 2006.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Actually, 2007 was a much better year than 2006.
    Correct, 2006 was considered one of the weakest drafts in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Correct, 2006 was considered one of the weakest drafts in many years.
    I thought those folks who were saying it at the time were insane and over a year later I'm convinced of it.

Look at the pitching coming out of that draft - Lincecum, Miller, Morrow, Hochevar, Scherzer, Kershaw, Kennedy, Chamberlain.

You've got position prospects like Evan Longoria, Matt Antonelli, Hank Conger and Travis Snider.

Based on early results, I expect 2006 will put drafts like the dog years of 2000-2003 to shame.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought those folks who were saying it at the time were insane and over a year later I'm convinced of it.

Look at the pitching coming out of that draft - Lincecum, Miller, Morrow, Hochevar, Scherzer, Kershaw, Kennedy, Chamberlain.

You've got position prospects like Evan Longoria, Matt Antonelli, Hank Conger and Travis Snider.

Based on early results, I expect 2006 will put drafts like the dog years of 2000-2003 to shame.
    Maybe it just seems that way when compared to the 2005 draft class.... could be it entirely.

Speaking of taking things with a grain of salt, if a person misspells 'Mesoraco', I take what was said by that person about Devin Mesoraco with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Actually I believe that title belongs to Matt Wieters.
    No doubt Wieters was the best catcher in the draft.I said"The Reds drafted Mesoraco because he was the best catcher available in the draft." Maybe I should of said he was the best catcher available in the draft when the Reds picked in the 1st rd. IMO the 5 catchers drafted in the 1st three rounds in 2006 (Sapp,Conger,McBride,Tracy and Langley) are much better prospects than the 7 drafted in 2007, with the exception of Wieters. (Mesoraco,Arencibia,D;Arnaud,Williams,Donaldson, Canham and Easley) Donaldson is playing 1B and not catching. It's not the quantity of catchers drafted but the quality. I think Conger is a much bigger prospect than Mesoraco IMO. McBride is already in AA.

No doubt Wieters was the best catcher in the draft.I said"The Reds drafted Mesoraco because he was the best catcher available in the draft." Maybe I should of said he was the best catcher available in the draft when the Reds picked in the 1st rd. IMO the 5 catchers drafted in the 1st three rounds in 2006 (Sapp,Conger,McBride,Tracy and Langley) are much better prospects than the 7 drafted in 2007, with the exception of Wieters. (Mesoraco,Arencibia,D;Arnaud,Williams,Donaldson, Canham and Easley) Donaldson is playing 1B and not catching. It's not the quantity of catchers drafted but the quality. I think Conger is a much bigger prospect than Mesoraco IMO. McBride is already in AA.
    You make it sound like the Reds wanted a catcher and would take the best one available when they drafted. I don't agree. If you read the pre-draft write ups, Mesoraco as one of the best prospects -- regardless of position -- remaining when the Reds picked. Watching the draft, I went down the checklist and saw Mesoraco as about the next best guy remaining.

Ahh, my apologies I misread it, and I hate it when others do that to me.

However I thought that I read somewhere around the '06 draft that Conger wasn't necc. going to be a sure thing behind the plate and that he could end up at 3rd eventually. Perhaps It was someone else I can't recall for sure but I thought it was Conger.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I suspect Danny Dorn will be #11 because people love his name.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I suspect Danny Dorn will be #11 because people love his game.
    Fixed that for ya

Turn Off Ads?