Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How about Hamilton for Hill?

How about Hamilton for Hill?

A Sun Deck thread quotes an article that lists many players the Cubs would be willing to deal, primarily in search of a LH power bat for the OF. One of those players is Rich Hill.

How do folks feel about Hamilton for Hill?

Seems fair to me.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Hamilton for Hill?

I doubt the Cubs would do that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Positives: 3:1 K/BB, 1.20 WHIP back to back, badly needed lefty starter. An interesting stat is that he has good control but hit 12 batters. Boy, do we need a guy who will pitch inside...cheap, this year

Negatives: HR rate, but then he is also pitching in a bandbox, so perhaps it would not spike in a move to our bandbox. Getting close to a big raise.

Is Hamilton enough would be my next question?

I'd do Griffey for Hill and maybe throw in some cash too. Griffey might have interest in finishing up with Lou and he'd crank a few more when the wind is blowing out.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While not the best fit in GABP due to his FB tendencies, he's got solid control and a very good K rate. He also gives us a lefty. And he's dirt cheap. I'll fall all over myself to get that done.

That said, it would never happen. They could get much more for him if he were really available.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Positives: 3:1 K/BB, 1.20 WHIP back to back, badly needed lefty starter. An interesting stat is that he has good control but hit 12 batters. Boy, do we need a guy who will pitch inside...cheap, this year

Negatives: HR rate, but then he is also pitching in a bandbox, so perhaps it would not spike in a move to our bandbox. Getting close to a big raise.

I noticed the home run rate too, but he gave up one less home run than both Arroyo and Harrang.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Yes, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I've been trumping a Hamilton for Hill deal for months. Rich Hill is exactly what the Reds could use- a young lefty that would immediately become the Reds #3, if not #2. Problem is, I think it would cost the Reds more from a talent standpoint. I think they would ask for Hamilton and Belisle, and that would be too steep for my blood. However, I would counter with Hamilton, Maloney, and Roenicke.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd do Griffey for Hill and maybe throw in some cash too. Griffey might have interest in finishing up with Lou and he'd crank a few more when the wind is blowing out.
    This one might be doable, but the Reds would probably have to add Belisle or Cueto to the mix.

Would you do that- Griffey and Belisle or Cueto for Hill?
    Go BLUE!!!

Questioning the in-division trading being thrown around on the board lately. Capuano? Hill? Could you see these guys being dealt to Cincy?

As a disclaimer, I'm not against trading with other teams from the Central. If it helps both teams, I don't think it should matter that much. But I think it does to the GMs making the deals. That's why it would be a longshot to happen.

But I would love Hill on this team.

Man Pills

Wrigley's played as a neutral park--he's a gopher king. I smell Milton all over Rich Hill. I'd rather have Hamilton honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Wrigley's played as a neutral park--he's a gopher king. I smell Milton all over Rich Hill. I'd rather have Hamilton honestly.
    I wouldn't. But I would think the Cubs would be more interested in Griffey than Hamilton. They are going for it this year, so the age is irrelevant. Also, they appear to be willing to spend to the sky, so the money is irrelevant. The Cubs have been interested in Griffey in the past, whereas they exhibited how much interest they had in Hamilton by selling him to the Reds for less than one of Griffey's gamechecks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't have a problem with the gopher ball tendency because he maintains a 1.20 WHIP and can strike guys out. It would be a bummer, but he's giving up solo shots moreso than Milton, who walked guys, gave up hits, then three run bombs.

Also, I'd have no problems sweetening the deal with Belisle as others have suggested. He is very expendable and replaceable on the cheap.

Man Pills

I don't have a problem with the gopher ball tendency because he maintains a 1.20 WHIP and can strike guys out. It would be a bummer, but he's giving up solo shots moreso than Milton, who walked guys, gave up hits, then three run bombs.

Also, I'd have no problems sweetening the deal with Belisle as others have suggested. He is very expendable and replaceable on the cheap.
    With the Reds' current defense and its very homer friendly environs, you ought to be worried about a guy like Hill. I'll wager he'd surrender 40 a year in GAB, with regularity.

I'd trade for him, but not Hamilton. I'll wager that Belisle will put up numbers similar to Hill's next year.

With the Reds' current defense and its very homer friendly environs, you ought to be worried about a guy like Hill. I'll wager he'd surrender 40 a year in GAB, with regularity.

I'd trade for him, but not Hamilton. I'll wager that Belisle will put up numbers similar to Hill's next year.
    Well I like Belisle too, but the point is if you're the Reds, you need two Belisles instead of one. If we could get Rich Hill for Griffey and any prospect other than the big four, its a huge coup IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?