Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How about Hamilton for Hill?

Re: How about Hamilton for Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Then all of a sudden you've blown a massive hole in the hull of the offense.
    I don't think this is necessarily true. It would create a spot for Bruce.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think this is necessarily true. It would create a spot for Bruce.
    There is no way that Jay Bruce can make up for the loss of Adam Dunn. He might be able to in 3 or 4 years (or 7), but not anytime soon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    There is no way that Jay Bruce can make up for the loss of Adam Dunn. He might be able to in 3 or 4 years (or 7), but not anytime soon.
    Dunn was basically a 3-win over replacement player last season.

I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest Bruce could be a 3 win over replacement player as early as next year. Hamilton basically was 2 wins over replacement in under half a year.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dunn was basically a 3-win over replacement player last season.

I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest Bruce could be a 3 win over replacement player as early as next year. Hamilton basically was 2 wins over replacement in under half a year.....
    I'm sorry, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you keep throwing this assertion out there based on a few fielding metrics and I just don't buy it.

If it's your opinion, that's fine, but you keep stating it like it's cold hard fact.

It could be that I'm just a big dummy, though.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Maybe not solely on offense, but the defensive upgrade will allow his overall value to equal Dunn's much quicker than you might otherwise think.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good post and right on. I'm not sure that $25 Million is as much a windfall as we're making it out to be. They've been getting 8 figures for a while now and the increment to $25 Million is what sets the payroll at around $80 Million per my guesstimation. I doubt there is much more room without some subtractions.

It's time to lock Dunn up and if it can't be done move him. Signing or coming to the realization that Dunn be moved is priority number 1. That decision goes a long way toward determining how many and which of the young bats can be moved. If Dunn goes for the rotation help needed, the others should all stay IMO.
    I actually agree. First figure out if Dunn's here to stay or not. If he is great, then you can start thinking about moving Hamilton and/or Jr. for pitching. If he's not, he should be the one to fetch pitching.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Name me some 'cant miss' hitting prospects that missed that were as highly touted as Jay Bruce.
    Since 1990, here is the list of Baseball America's #1 hitting prospect.
    Alex Gordon
    Delmon Young
    Joe Mauer (twice)
    Mark Teixeira
    Hank Blalock
    Josh Hamilton
    Pat Burrell
    JD Drew
    Ben Grieve
    Andruw Jones (twice)
    Alex Rodriguez
    Cliff Floyd
    Chipper Jones (twice)
    Andujar Cedeno (really, what were they thinking? He hit .303/.341/.452 that year in AAA at age 21. Young, but the best hitting prospect in baseball? Klesko, Mo Vaughn and Pudge Rodriguez also made the top 10 that year)
    John Olerud

So yeah, I guess Cedeno was a huge miss, but really the rest of the guys were pretty good. Still pretty early on Young and Gordon....I don't think Bruce follows in Cedeno's footsteps though, considering what he did in AAA this year at age 20.
    Not to pick nits, but Ben Grieve was a pretty big whiff as well. Yes he did have a strong rookie year, but after that he was a big fat bust.

Don't worry, I definitely don't think Jay Bruce has any Brandon Larson in him. I think Bruce will be an All Star by the end of this decade, if not sooner. Just had to point that out though.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

I'm not sure Bruce will slug like Dunn in the very near future. Take Dunn out, and there is next to no pop in this lineup. It's a bunch of average to mediocre fielding Sean-Casey-power sticks (which is nice, but lacking the catalyst that compels the overall offense to run). I think Bruce will develop great power, but not right out of the chute.

Now you could trade Dunn and find slugging elsewhere, but when you start leaving several holes to fill just one (no matter how important), you're tempting fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not sure Bruce will slug like Dunn in the very near future. Take Dunn out, and there is next to no pop in this lineup. It's a bunch of average to mediocre fielding Sean-Casey-power sticks (which is nice, but lacking the catalyst that compels the overall offense to run). I think Bruce will develop great power, but not right out of the chute.

Now you could trade Dunn and find slugging elsewhere, but when you start leaving several holes to fill just one (no matter how important), you're tempting fate.
    Uh huh.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?