Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cards sign Cesar Izturis

Cards sign Cesar Izturis

Per Rotoworld.

Cardinals agreed to terms with shortstop Cesar Izturis, who had been with the Pirates, on a one-year contract.

The Cards go from World Series winners to sub-.500 team and their response is a clear downgrade at shortstop? Izturis isn't necessarily guaranteed of playing regularly in David Eckstein's place, but it looks like the Cards would prefer to spend their money on pitching. Izturis hit .258/.302/.315 in 314 at-bats for the Cubs and Pirates last season. He's at .259/.295/.334 in his career. Also, he's not quite what he once was defensively, though he's still clearly above average. Ideally, he'd be a reserve on a contender.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards sign Cesar Izturis

I love when the Cardinals get worse.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I completely forgot he went to the 'rates last season.

Good for the Redlegs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post

I love when the Cardinals get worse.
    Well they didn't get worse defensively. Though offensively they certainly did, but Itzuris at one time was looking pretty solid as a leadoff hitter in L.A. If he can get back to that he improves them, and he has a shot since I think he's only about 28 still. I think it's a very smart signing, depending on the money involved.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Well they didn't get worse defensively. Though offensively they certainly did, but Itzuris at one time was looking pretty solid as a leadoff hitter in L.A. If he can get back to that he improves them, and he has a shot since I think he's only about 28 still. I think it's a very smart signing, depending on the money involved.
    Izturis is a better and younger SS than Gonzalez. FWIW.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Well,l I assume he is younger.

Izturis is the major's worse offensive regular player. His lifetime OPS is .629. Only backup cathers will have worse OPS's than that.

He's still a good fielder, but not like he was.

Gonzalez is much, much better than Izturis.

Even Ryan is better than Izturis

Defensively sure, offensively he's Neifi Perez, he's never been able to get on base at a consistent clip so who wants him near the top of their order?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    ... but Itzuris at one time was looking pretty solid as a leadoff hitter in L.A. ....
    He has a .295 lifetime OBA.....he peaked at .330, which still made him a very, very bad leadoff hitter.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Defensively sure, offensively he's Neifi Perez, he's never been able to get on base at a consistent clip so who wants him near the top of their order?
    Defense matters at short. And with the horrid defenders elsewhere on the diamond for the Reds, I'd take him over Gonzalez, weak stick and all. And let's face it, Gonzalez's stick is no walk in the park (pun intended)--essentially a one year product of GAB.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Perez actually has a lifetime OPS about 50 points higher than Izturis.

I'd call Izturis "Neifi-Lite".

Defense matters at short. And with the horrid defenders elsewhere on the diamond for the Reds, I'd take him over Gonzalez, weak stick and all. And let's face it, Gonzalez's stick is no walk in the park (pun intended)--essentially a one year product of GAB.

Gonzalez's OPS was better on the road than at GABP last year. As was Phillips.

And historically, Gonzalez glove has been as good as Izturis.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Gonzalez's OPS was better on the road than at GABP last year. As was Phillips.

And historically, Gonzalez glove has been as good as Izturis.
    See, the "historically" part is where you nailed it--Gonzalez's glove is indeed likely "history." Guys tend not to rebound at age 32 at extreme defensive positions like SS.

See, the "historically" part is where you nailed it--Gonzalez's glove is indeed likely "history." Guys tend not to rebound at age 32 at extreme defensive positions like SS.
    But of course Izturis will pick it like no athlete since Achilles right?

You can't have it both ways,
    Gonzalez has slipped defensively as has Izturis by all accounts. Neither is likely to get better.
    Whether is Gonzalez is that much worse than Izturis is nothing more than minutae at this stage and is clearly overridden by the fact that Gonzalez is 10 times the offensive player Izturis is.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But of course Izturis will pick it like no athlete since Achilles right?

You can't have it both ways,
    Gonzalez has slipped defensively as has Izturis by all accounts. Neither is likely to get better.
    Whether is Gonzalez is that much worse than Izturis is nothing more than minutae at this stage and is clearly overridden by the fact that Gonzalez is 10 times the offensive player Izturis is.

Well, Izturis is 28, which is years younger than Gonzalez. And I really don't see where Izturis has "slipped" much at all. He looked great last season. Gonzalez looked pretty awful and unrangey last year--stuff that can't really be attributed to the concentration issues that folks want to pin his poor play on.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He has a .295 lifetime OBA.....he peaked at .330, which still made him a very, very bad leadoff hitter.
    Ah, good point. I was working off memory and must have seen some of his better games there. That said if he can get back to .330 he is a solid starter coupled with his defense and perhaps if he can get back to stealing a few bags.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?