Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Update! Les Miles it isn't!

Re: Update! Les Miles it isn't!

Don Nehlen put the football program on the map. Rodriguez ratcheted things up a notch.

Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window. Calling Pryor before even talking to school officials was beyond the pale. Last I heard, he hadn't even returned the governor's call (and Rodriguez has a relationship with Gov. Manchin going back to his younger days, when he worked for him in his furniture store).

Rodriguez made a commitment to the school and led everyone to believe that this was real. Solid. He's shown what he's made of.
    Last edited by tixe; 12-17-2007 at 08:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Lloyd Carr and Rich Rodriguez have coached in the same number of BCS Bowl Games in the last 5 years (3 each).

In the last 7 seasons Rodriguez has won only 2 more games than Carr (57 wins - 55 wins).

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window.

Rodriguez made a commitment to the school and led everyone to believe that this was real. Solid. He's shown what he's made of.
    I know where you're coming from.

At the same time, it's a two-edged sword. If he'd started losing too many ballgames, contract or no contract, WVU wouldn't have hesitated to fire him and the fans wouldn't have lost a minute's sleep over it. And it's 99% likely that whoever WVU hires to replace him is currently under contract somewhere else.

It stinks, but it's how the game is played nowadays.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't think its a matter of figuring it out, but a matter of realizing that they might have to rethink personnel in a game against the gimmick. That is what I came away from the Illinois game thinking, that just trying to hunker down with the hosses against the spread is a recipe for disaster, and it has been twice now. Get the DTs out of there, go to a three man line, get an extra LBer in the game playing down at times who serves as the key on the QB at all times.
    That is where I disagree with you about beating the spread scheme. I don't think it is about "getting the DTs out of there". It is more about getting that pressure on that QB. Not trying to sit back and stop him after he makes his decision. Think attack, not react. I think a must to stopping the spread is getting that disruptive force coming up the middle. A definate upgrade is needed at DT for Ohio State because they don't have a single player like that. The current style of DT at Ohio State is a lane clogger, not a disrupter.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Great hire. Best coach UM could have gotten, including Les Miles. I can't wait until next fall! I am completely stoked. I love the fire this man has and the fact that he doesn't just coach-speak. Did anyone see his presser after the loss to Pitt. That's the kind of guy fans and players should be excited for. someone who really cares!

He will push UM into top 5 program again and bring exciting football to all fans of the Big 10. I, for ONE, was growing tired of the conservative 70's style football.

UM fans should be rejoicing everywhere. We finally obtained a coach, and a GREAT one at that!

Go Blue.
    Last edited by Virginia Beach Reds; 12-17-2007 at 10:52 PM.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!

(I love how suddenly concerned all the Buckeye fans just became)
    Not at all, I would guess if that team up north were to have stolen The sweater vest from OSU you would be much happier than you are about getting The Rod

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I know where you're coming from.

At the same time, it's a two-edged sword. If he'd started losing too many ballgames, contract or no contract, WVU wouldn't have hesitated to fire him and the fans wouldn't have lost a minute's sleep over it. And it's 99% likely that whoever WVU hires to replace him is currently under contract somewhere else.

It stinks, but it's how the game is played nowadays.
    I'm sure the new coach will be under contract somewhere (unless it's Terry B), just like Huggins was when he was hired. This case seems particularly irksome because of the context.

The latest wild rumor, one that certainly continues the cycle, is that the agent for WV native (from near where Rodriguez lived) Nick Saban has contacted WVU saying that he's unhappy at Alabama.

Most likely just wish-fulfillment on somebody's part, but still...Good grief.
    Last edited by tixe; 12-17-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Don Nehlen put the football program on the map. Rodriguez ratcheted things up a notch.

Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window. Calling Pryor before even talking to school officials was beyond the pale. Last I heard, he hadn't even returned the governor's call (and Rodriguez has a relationship with Gov. Manchin going back to his younger days, when he worked for him in his furniture store).

EXACTLY Tixie!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Ann Arbor is a very far cry from Metro-Detroit. About the only thing it shares with Detroit is an airport. If you've ever been there, you would know that.
    I actually have been to Ann Arbor. During college, a buddy was interning with Ford one summer and was staying on the UM campus. Went up to visit and had a good time.

(Note the in my original post.)

I would, however, point out that any place that gets this kind of weather on a semi-regular basis deserves to drop a few notches on the desireability index. 10+ inches of snow? Nooooooooooo thanks. Life's way to short.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Love the raw passion and emotion, but once the dust settles you'll realize that at the end of the day Rich Rodriguez put WVU on the map. In the last 7 seasons, the man went 60-26 and won 4 out of the last 5 Big East Championships. Let's also not forget 6 consecutive bowl bids.

Rodriguez is moving on to take a better job. How many of us have done that in our lives? I can't fault the man for not settling for the status quo, and accepting a challenge. I guess you can.

Rodriguez was highly courted by Alabama last year, and remained loyal to WVU. I guess in WV he's a liar by not taking the Alabama job but now taking the Michigan job?

If your sentiments are how the majority of WVU fans feel about Rodriguez leaving, then WVU didn't deserve Rich Rodriguez. He's probably glad he's going to a school where the fans will actually appreciate him.
    Rodriguez did turn WVU around but the turn around also was helped by Miami, VaTech, and BC all leaving the Big East. He also coached in a league where the talent level across the board wasn't as comparable to that of even the lowly Big 10. He had two trump cards White and Slaton that were heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Look I am not saying he is a bad coach or anything but I think it will be interesting. I am interested to see how he coaches against better athletes game in game out.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rodriguez did turn WVU around but the turn around also was helped by Miami, VaTech, and BC all leaving the Big East. He also coached in a league where the talent level across the board wasn't as comparable to that of even the lowly Big 10. He had two trump cards White and Slaton that were heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Look I am not saying he is a bad coach or anything but I think it will be interesting. I am interested to see how he coaches against better athletes game in game out.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post
    Great hire. Best coach UM could have gotten, including Les Miles. I can't wait until next fall! I am completely stoked. I love the fire this man has and the fact that he doesn't just coach-speak. Did anyone see his presser after the loss to Pitt. That's the kind of guy fans and players should be excited for. someone who really cares!

He will push UM into top 5 program again and bring exciting football to all fans of the Big 10. I, for ONE, was growing tired of the conservative 70's style football.

UM fans should be rejoicing everywhere. We finally obtained a coach, and a GREAT one at that!

Go Blue.
    I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm rejoicing as well. I didn't see the postgame press conference, but I did see the deer in the headlights look during the game, especially as it became pretty evident that even the refs would be unable to steal a win. I said silently to myself at the time, "ah, I know that look, those are John Cooper eyes in a big game."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm rejoicing as well. I didn't see the postgame press conference, but I did see the deer in the headlights look during the game, especially as it became pretty evident that even the refs would be unable to steal a win. I said silently to myself at the time, "ah, I know that look, those are John Cooper eyes in a big game."
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look that stressed.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

So... the UM hire comes from a more obscure background then Youngstown State?

And somehow he'll be worse for the University in the long run than John Cooper was at OSU.

Mmmm ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So... the UM hire comes from a more obscure background then Youngstown State?

And somehow he'll be worse for the University in the long run than John Cooper was at OSU.

Mmmm ok.....
    Are you referring to my John Cooper reference? If so, all that I was saying is that he might perform similar to Cooper in The Game. That is a good thing for this Buckeye.

Turn Off Ads?