Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Update! Les Miles it isn't!

Re: Update! Les Miles it isn't!

Supposedly it was Kirk Herbstreit who "broke" the story of Miles to Michigan. He's gotta be feeling pretty foolish right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Supposedly it was Kirk Herbstreit who "broke" the story of Miles to Michigan. He's gotta be feeling pretty foolish right now.
    I hope that's not true. I think highly of Kirk, and this would hurt his credibility big time. Since when did Herstreit get into the business of breaking stories?
    Last edited by MWM; 12-01-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Les Miles it is!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    He's rightfully upset with the media today. Can't really blame him.
    He's upset with Michigan.

Michigan leaked the announcement to ESPN last night, and this morning ESPN used the plug for GameDay to "break in" on SportsCenter to announce Les Miles to Michigan thanks to Kirk Herbstreit.

GameDay then used their airtime to talk about Les Miles to Michigan, along with the Big XII Championship. Herbstreit just reported what he had been told by Michigan. There should be no question of Herbstreit's credibility. He did what he was supposed to do.

Les Miles then had his own press conference to say he wasn't going to Michigan, he's staying at LSU. The reason he had this press conference is that Michigan jumped the gun by a month on their announcement. Les Miles was going to Michigan, but due to breach of trust on Michigan's part, that now may or may not happen.

Criminal stupidity on Michigan's part. They had Les Miles and just couldn't wait to tell the world.
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 12-01-2007 at 05:11 PM.

That's what they said during Halftime of the UK/UNC game.

Said Herbstreit broke the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I've just read on the internet that he never spoke to to Michigan at all and told the LSU AD that he wanted to stay at LSU.

I can't believe he'd make such a rash decision if he had already agreed to take the job. And if he's so upset about them "leaking" the story, why wouldn't he just wait until Sunday or Monday to officially accept the offer. Who knows what reall happened.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources. In this day and age, no one is going to know who "broke" the story. It will be everywhere within minutes.

It must be pretty important since it's becoming commonplace. Old time media people are rolling in their graves now.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources.
    I blame Oprah!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Once again Lester narrowly escapes a loss thanks to Eric Ainge single handedly losing the game for Tennessee.

A nice for the LSU players, rumors that the whole coaching staff is leaving town and they still play well.
    Go Gators!

Agreed Krono.

And who said Miles was supposed to easily win every game he coached? I don't get the hate. Another thing you wouldn't hear a peep about if he coached Ohio State.

Instead of being an idiot who belongs in a nut house he would be a courageous coach who believes in his players.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources. In this day and age, no one is going to know who "broke" the story. It will be everywhere within minutes.
    Matt Drudge has lowered the bar for what constitutes publishable news these days. In a world where 22 year-old producers call the shots on TV shows, being first trumps being right.
    /r/reds

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Lester Miles has yet to sign the agreement to stay at LSU.
    And until he does sign the contract, things will be very interesting.

Just because Les Miles has "said" he is staying at LSU doesn't mean anything. That is why a contract is so important right now. Billy Gillispie told Arkansas he would not accept their contract offer and decided to stay at Texas A&M, but he never signed the contract. I think everybody knows what happened next.

I still think Les Miles will be the guy at Michigan, but if not, people will have Kirk Herbstreit to thank, because this would have never happened if Kirk hadn't broke the story and caused both sides to act. Seems to me like Kirk has the same sources as Dan Rather.:

I don't blame Miles at all for lashing out at ESPN. The day of the SEC championship, which is all but going to determine what kind of bowl LSU is going to get tomorrow, and it's announced you won't even be at the game to coach because you are accepting another job.

I agree with a point that was raised earlier today. College football should adopt the same policy as the NFL in that they must finish their season before the coaches talk with other teams. That would have stopped what happened today, and if it didn't, Michigan would have likely lost scholarships. However, because the NCAA lacks stability, you will never see it.

Until Les Miles puts his name on the dotted line, I will believe it until I see it. IMO, he is still fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

He said at half time and after the game..." I will be back at LSU next year."
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Never can tell, maybe he takes after Nick Saban
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I believe we got a similar committment out of Thad Matta.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?