Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds at Winter Meetings

Reds at Winter Meetings

This thread is for Reds news at the meetings, rumors, or ideas.

Reds have to get some more pitching, either at the meetings or after. They didn't sign Cordero for $46 million to go with the current starting staff. Last year, the Reds staff wasn't good but they had three veteran starters -- now they have Harang, Arroyo, and some young promising guys

Seems to me Reds have a few choices to beef up starting pitching:

A free agent. I know the pickings are slim, but would they go for a Silva now that Castellini has opened the vault a bit?

A trade for a top guy. Bedard, for example, would be great. Will the Reds part with a Cueto (in addition to Hamilton and, say, Freel) if necessary to get such a pitcher?

A lesser deal. Hamiton, Freel and a lesser prospect for a solid pitcher, although not at the star level.

Is there a more experienced pitcher out there, still pretty good but nearing the end, who might be obtainable for a year or two? Livan Hernandez? Someone in a trade?

Are there other needs to be addressed at the meetings? If Hamilton is traded will Reds get a stopgap center fielder to platoon with Hopper? Is the catching set? Are there more bench guys to be acquired? Are Griffey and Dunn set as Reds for '08 or is one available for a surprise deal? Will an infielder be moved to give Keppinger a full time job? Or will Kepp be moved to start for someone else?

Any ideas out there? And any news would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds at Winter Meetings

I'm 45 minutes north of Trashville, and I'm thinking about going down and seeing how much the average person hears on the street.

Good thread idea though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A free agent. I know the pickings are slim, but would they go for a Silva now that Castellini has opened the vault a bit?
    Please, no! I'd rather have Lohse back than Carlos "Pyrite" Silva.

I wonder if the trade of basically Garza for basically Young represents the kind of player movement we will see this winter. Also, does Cordero represent a win now attitude?

This could be a fun!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Man Pills

Last year the Reds did nothing at the Winter Meetings. Pattern? Don't know yet, but Wayne's avoided the more traditional routes.

Don't know if that's good or bad or neither.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm 45 minutes north of Trashville, and I'm thinking about going down and seeing how much the average person hears on the street.

Good thread idea though.
    Last time the winter meetings were at the Gaylord Opryland, I ended up going that day with some visiting friends who wanted to see the holiday decorations. I saw a few familiar faces, and a few unfamiliar faces had familiar names on their badges, but I wouldn't expect to overhear any real scoop hanging out in the public areas during the day. Maybe at night after the alcohol starts loosening tongues, who knows.
    Not all who wander are lost

Good thread idea though.
    You won't hear much. Especially from the Reds. Even if they make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Please, no! I'd rather have Lohse back than Carlos "Pyrite" Silva.
    Silva would be a disaster, not quite Milton like but close.
    Go Gators!

If the Brewers are discussing Rolen, I see a definite trend in the National League Central toward more expensive players for certain teams. Last off-season the Cubs spent. Now the Reds and Brewers are both seemingly going for it. The Cards and Astros always seem to play for "today."

I see a better Central division. Interested to see any movement in the division at the winter meetings this year.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Don't be shocked if something goes down this week...

I'm not saying something will (can't predict that...so I wouldn't even try)...but keep your eyes open - could be interesting.

They're trying....that I do know.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-01-2007 at 01:41 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    You won't hear much. Especially from the Reds. Even if they make a move.
    True, but if you can sit in the lobby of the hotel and just take it in - it is a fun time. i did that last year when they were at Disney...just plopped down on a lobby couch, grabbed a copy of baseball America and just took it in.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Don't be shocked if something goes down this week...

I'm not saying something will...but keep your eyes open - could be interesting.

They're trying....that I do know.
    Since we all expect something to go down at the winter meetings I take it that this post implies something fairly big and maybe unexpected. Not to start a rumor but JR? Maybe Dunn?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Since we all expect something to go down at the winter meetings I take it that this post implies something fairly big and maybe unexpected. Not to start a rumor but JR? Maybe Dunn?
    I have no idea...but if it's going to happen, this would be the year.

Krivsky, for the first time that I recall, has said publically that they're looking for another starter, and he's well aware in order to get one, you have to give up something....they have some chips now

It's the most open I've ever heard him...why would he start being that way now?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-01-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    True, but if you can sit in the lobby of the hotel and just take it in - it is a fun time. i did that last year when they were at Disney...just plopped down on a lobby couch, grabbed a copy of baseball America and just took it in.
    Thats kinda what I'm going for, just a feeling of 'being there'.

I sincerely don't expect Krivsky to sit down next to me and say "Hey, you're that guy from Redszone, I need you opinion on this trade I'm working on."

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Haunted by walks

Thats kinda what I'm going for, just a feeling of 'being there'.

I sincerely don't expect Krivsky to sit down next to me and say "Hey, you're that guy from Redszone, I need you opinion on this trade I'm working on."
    Don't forget your leather pants.

Turn Off Ads?