Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds at Winter Meetings

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds at Winter Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Or when Harang is Santana-level dominant he can be considered better.

Why would the O's trade Erik Bedard for Aaron Harang?

So they can get 5 more starts out of a guy who allows a half run or more per 9 innings?

What part of 220 Ks in 190 innings is losing everyone?
    Actually,you would get 80 extra starts.

4 years of Harang> 2 years of Bedard.

The greatness of a player is one aspect of trade value.

You could convince that Bedard is better than Harang.

But you'll never convince me that he's so much better that 2 years of him is better than 4 years of Harang.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From things I'm hearing, the Reds might think more highly of Edwin Encarnacion than everyone else does. Just something to keep in mind. I think Votto's more likely to go than EE, but that's just kinda what I'm hearing. Although, if the right pitcher is involved.... Remember, the Reds have passed on Lincecum before -- there's something there they're not high on.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...t-opryland.asp

Wrap up of Day II

Since Wayne Krivsky said what he said in the last post, I've talked to several people who say the Reds are serious about going after Erik Bedard.

Here's what Krivsky said: "I've never said we havenít connected with the clubs with the higher-end pitchers. Iím looking at anyway I can to improve the team."

That's a huge admission from him. Ordinarily if you asked about going after big-name pitchers, he'd say no comment.

That doesn't mean te Reds are going to get Bedard. But an offer of Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and another player might do the trick. (Jay Bruce is the guy the Reds just don't want to give up).

Again, it goes back to whether you want to play for next year or build for the future. Well, really, it's whether Bob Castellini wants to play for next year or build for the future. And given the Francisco Cordero deal, my guess is Reds are playing for 2008.

Tomorrow -- the last full day of the meeting -- could be interesting.

posted by John Fay at 9:55 PM

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-of-day-ii.asp

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From things I'm hearing, the Reds might think more highly of Edwin Encarnacion than everyone else does. Just something to keep in mind. I think Votto's more likely to go than EE, but that's just kinda what I'm hearing. Although, if the right pitcher is involved.... Remember, the Reds have passed on Lincecum before -- there's something there they're not high on.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...t-opryland.asp

Funny. From some folks posts around here during the season I thought they hated him and were trying to sabotage his career.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Just as an aside, C. Trent's "counting step" blog was one of the funnier things I've read in the last few weeks.

This line was a gem:

He looked at me and 16,130. I said, I think you just won both showcases.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I agree Caveat, Trent's blog is hilarious and he usually is but the bloggers that coment on his blog are some of the dumbest fans I've ever read. I am so glad for Redszone whenever I venture into some of the "open" forums out there.

Prediction:

Reds will acquire either Bedard or Haren tomorrow. For Bailey, Votto, and another prospect.

Just speculation, nothing more. (Probably wishful thinking, I like trades this time of year.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Prediction:

Reds will acquire either Bedard or Haren tomorrow. For Bailey, Votto, and another prospect.

Just speculation, nothing more.
    Next prediction if that one comes true:

I probably don't post on Redszone for a while and give away my Redsfest tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I probably don't post on Redszone for a while and give away my Redsfest tickets.
    That's too bad.

Apparently more a fan of the Reds prospects than you are the Reds.

I for one will super excited if the Reds land Haren or Bedard without giving up Bruce or Cueto.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Just out of idle curiosity -- are you opposed to trading Bailey/Votto on principle or the idea that trading both of them for any one player is a bad idea.

I like Votto as much as the next guy, but probably the easiest position to fill on the baseball diamond is first base. As for Bailey, he and Cueto are top pitching prizes in the system, but if they're leaving town for good pitching, I'm OK with that. Odds and history tell us that it is unlikely that both will become "ace" level starters -- this is the kind of situation where good internal scouting is worth it's weight in gold. Now is the time for the Reds to dangle whichever one of the two they feel is least likely to ever achieve to the level of hype.

The only thing I'm certain of is this -- holding onto both Bailey and Cueto like they're untouchable prizes will surely not improve the ballclub in 2008, and there's a very real chance that it'll improve the ballclub never.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Pete Rose left the Reds and I stayed, Homer Bailey leaving wouldn't even be a speed bump.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That's too bad.

Apparently more a fan of the Reds prospects than you are the Reds.

I for one will super excited if the Reds land Haren or Bedard without giving up Bruce or Cueto.
    I will just be disappointed in trading Bailey who I think should be 1 of 4 untouchables.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pete Rose left the Reds and I stayed, Homer Bailey leaving wouldn't even be a speed bump.
    No kidding.

How about this kick in the pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Just out of idle curiosity -- are you opposed to trading Bailey/Votto on principle or the idea that trading both of them for any one player is a bad idea.

I like Votto as much as the next guy, but probably the easiest position to fill on the baseball diamond is first base. As for Bailey, he and Cueto are top pitching prizes in the system, but if they're leaving town for good pitching, I'm OK with that. Odds and history tell us that it is unlikely that both will become "ace" level starters -- this is the kind of situation where good internal scouting is worth it's weight in gold. Now is the time for the Reds to dangle whichever one of the two they feel is least likely to ever achieve to the level of hype.

The only thing I'm certain of is this -- holding onto both Bailey and Cueto like they're untouchable prizes will surely not improve the ballclub in 2008, and there's a very real chance that it'll improve the ballclub never.
    or they do improve the ballclub while the mechanically challenged Bedard(I don't believe Haren is on the block unless for a impossible to recieve package) implodes.

This board has fantasyitis right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I just think Bailey is the type of player you hold onto. He is one of my 4 untouchables that the Reds control. Votto, I am not so concerned about. I like him, but he isn't difficult to replace.

I agree with you on Votto. I don't have Cueto as an untouchable. He is very good, but I don't see the same type of stuff that I see in Bailey with him. That curve is just incredible when its on and when major league batters swung at it this season (and it was a strike 67% of the time he threw it) they turned it into a hit just 8% of the time this year. Pitches like that don't come along too often and I am against the idea of moving someone who throws that kind of stuff. I am pretty alone on the idea of not trading Bailey for just about anything, and I am fine with that idea. Its just how I feel.

While I don't think Cueto is untouchable like Bailey (in my mind) I certainly wouldn't be shopping Cueto. Now if the Reds called about someone and they asked about him I would listen and if someone else called and asked about Cueto, I would listen. I also think that having both Bailey and Cueto pitch in the major leagues next year would improve the ballclub in 2008, especially over the staff we had in 2007.

Turn Off Ads?