Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds at Winter Meetings

Re: Reds at Winter Meetings

A quick question. I get most of my Reds info from C. Trent. Where do you guys plan on getting yours from after the Post closes? Fay?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The Dodgers are probably the front runners for Bedard at this point. From C Trent and MLB Rumors and other boards, the snippets I've gleaned tend to indicate K thinks the price is too high for Bedard or Haren, and also hints there is something the Reds don't like about Lincecum. He also indicates that trading Hamilton to the Cubs is unlikely because its within the division. That said, it looks to me the most likely deals would be smaller ones for Lowry (blech), Capuano (ok), or maybe someone not on the radar at all right now. SF looks like the best match ad if its Lowry istead of Lincecum I'm not a happy camper.
    I don't know that I would be unhappy to get Lowry but it would depend on the cost. I would also wanna find out why he had such a sudden and dramatic dropoff in K/9 from 2005 to 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    also hints there is something the Reds don't like about Lincecum.
    Krivsky no like short starters.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

..or relievers (see Medlock for Cantu).

It may also foreshadow Cueto's future with the club. I bet Krivsky dreams of trading Hamilton and Cueto to the Rays for Kazmir everynight while forming a 1/2 knockout bunch with Bailey down the road.

Sadly, the alarm goes off and reality bites...........hey, isn't Kazmir short also? Cross him off

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Sadly, the alarm goes off and reality bites...........hey, isn't Kazmir short also? Cross him off
    He's a lefty though, they're freaks and short ones are really freaky.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fay:

Wrapping up Day III

It's looking like the Reds are going to leave here without adding a starting pitcher -- or at least a No. 2 or 3 starter type. Asked how it was going in his session with the scribes, Wayne Krivsky said:

"It's going."

That doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of landing Erik Bedard. You have to read shades of gray with Krivsky, but he seemed pretty confident and upbeat yesterday. Today, not so much.

The difference between getting Erik Bedard and a third-tier free agent is huge. Krivsky talked about bringing in "competition" for rotation spots. That smacks of Victor Santos and Kirk Saarloos.

Last-minute deals happen, and we're getting down to the last minute. The Rule 5 Draft is at 9 a.m. tomorrow. That's end of the meetings.

As for the Rule 5, the Reds have targeted "three or four" guys, they pick seventh, so they'll probably get one. That's why they released Jorge Cantu.
    Is this another case of Krivsky scared to pull the trigger...or a case of Krivsky being smart and not giving up the key's to the future?

Of course, there's still a lot of offseason left...and the meetings aren't over yet....but Fay doesn't sound too confident anything is going to happen after all.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-05-2007 at 09:29 PM.

I think its the latter...and the same for a lot of other GMs too. I think they looked at what was being asked for Bedard and Haren and said...hey wait a minute.. we're going to trade a minor league all star team for one guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Fay:

Is this another case of Krivsky scared to pull the trigger...or a case of Krivsky being smart and not giving up the key's to the future?

Of course, there's still a lot of offseason left...and the meetings aren't over yet....but Fay doesn't sound too confident anything is going to happen after all.

Just curious, another case?
    When has he been reluctant to pull the trigger on a good deal?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I've said before I think "The Trade" has scared him....and he really hasn't done anythin BIG since. Hamilton was a minor trade that so far has been a major deal...

I could be way off base on that one....

At this point, I'm not ready to call him scared....I'll lean toward being smart right now.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-05-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I guess Krivdog not very happy

Trent -
    The Krivdawg is still sour as he was spotted leaving dinner.

Trent -
    Possible there was a deal in place for someone and then the other team backed out as other things developed? Thinking here being that the proposed O's-Cubs messed things up and Baltimore is now moving in another direction. Wouldn't surprise me if some team left Krivsky standing at the altar.

Might be just as well to back off for awhile and see what happens with Santana and go from there. I still think that it is infinitely more likely that the Reds target second tier guys like Blanton or Burnett or maybe some with question marks such as Prior or Harden.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of holding on to the crown jewels for a little while longer, getting a second tier guy and taking a shot on someone like Lieber, Prior or Harden. High risk to be sure, but it likely would cost a lot less in terms or both money and talent.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Trent -
    Maybe he's not happy cuz the Cards butted in on his talks for Bedard?

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewt...f69394d0959ede
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Maybe he's not happy cuz the Cards butted in on his talks for Bedard?

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewt...f69394d0959ede
    I can't imagine what they'd have to offer that they could spare.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I can't imagine what they'd have to offer that they could spare.
    Rasmus, Reyes and Ankiel?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?