Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds at Winter Meetings

Re: Reds at Winter Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Keith Law just said on ESPN's First Take (hey, I have the day off watching my daughter... haha) that the Reds are "major players" in the market for starting pitching. Not for Santana he said, but "for the other top names out there."

I have no doubt we are going to add a #3 (or hopefully #2) starter, the only question is who. Very excited about it. Can't wait to hear who it is. And I definitely hope it's a free agent and not a trade. Why trade Hamilton if you could get a starting pitcher for nothing (except maybe a compensatory draft pick)? I would rather Cast spend the money and keep all of the young talent. I really think we are one legit starter away from winning the Central. That is my Reds bias coming out, but we are close.

Unfortunately there really aren't any good FA options. If they want a good #2 or #3 they will have to trade for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Keith Law just said on ESPN's First Take (hey, I have the day off watching my daughter... haha) that the Reds are "major players" in the market for starting pitching. Not for Santana he said, but "for the other top names out there."

I have no doubt we are going to add a #3 (or hopefully #2) starter, the only question is who. Very excited about it. Can't wait to hear who it is. And I definitely hope it's a free agent and not a trade. Why trade Hamilton if you could get a starting pitcher for nothing (except maybe a compensatory draft pick)? I would rather Cast spend the money and keep all of the young talent. I really think we are one legit starter away from winning the Central. That is my Reds bias coming out, but we are close.
    Not sure if you've been following this offseason, but there aren't any #2 (or really even #3) starting pitchers available in free agency. Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva are widely considered to be the two best starters available on the FA market, and most consider them to be a #4 starter at best. Fortunately, the Reds don't seem to be interested in blowing $10 MM/year on either player. I guess Hiroki Kuroda would be the next best thing out there, but the Reds are not reported to be in on his bidding, either.

If the Reds acquire a top-notch pitcher, my guess is its going to be either Erik Bedard or Dan Haren, and it's going to cost a lot in terms of talent (which I'm perfectly fine with).

I'm thinking Josh Hamilton and either Homer Bailey or Johnny Cueto is as good as gone if either of those two are acquired. Lincecum is the other guy to watch, and he will cost at least one of the aforementioned in addition to Encarnacion. Stay tuned...
    Go BLUE!!!

It's exciting to hear stuff like that. It beats the hapless attitude that infected the franchise a few years back.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's exciting to hear stuff like that. It beats the hapless attitude that infected the franchise a few years back.
    I agree. It's amazing, really. This is the most excited I've been about the Reds since the Griffey offseason.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The Phillies and Rays both spoke with Damon Lapa, the agent for free-agent outfielder Geoff Jenkins. It's not a strong year for left-handed hitting corner men -- with Trot Nixon, Shawn Green, Cliff Floyd, Brad Wilkerson and Luis Gonzalez as the other main options -- so Jenkins is getting considerable play. "We expect multiple multiyear offers," Lapa said. San Diego and Texas are among the other clubs keeping tabs on Jenkins.
    We have three better hitters than Geoff Jenkins, and I would part with any one of them for the right starting pitcher. Great leverage for us to find an above average starting pitcher paired with a top prospect not named Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Maybe not on topic here, but I've stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort where these meetings are currently being held. It's big. But if baseball execs are complaining about not being able to navigate that hotel, I begin to have concerns.

The huge terrarium near the front of the hotel has the best sushi restaurant I've ever encountered and if a visiting fan wants to glean a bit of info from MLB GM's, then the nearby rotating bar (yes, it actually rotates underfoot) might not be a bad place to start.

Fantastic resort. I can understand why folks might grump about the time it takes to get from one place to another within the resort due to the size, but it ain't all that difficult.
    Totally agree, Steel. Not that hard to get around.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

This might sound like a Krusty deal, but I wonder if the Reds could become players for Santana with Dunn in the deal? Then, we are talking about incremental dollars and maybe could get Santana signed. Or perhaps Dunn might pry away one of Oakland's studs wihtout losing a top 4 prospect. I love Adam Dunn, but if we wanna play with the big boys...

I imagine the press dislikes the hotel more than the execs. If it's a sprawling complex then the press doesn't have a central location (aka, bar) to get the latest gossip.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This might sound like a Krusty deal, but I wonder if the Reds could become players for Santana with Dunn in the deal? Then, we are talking about incremental dollars and maybe could get Santana signed. Or perhaps Dunn might pry away one of Oakland's studs wihtout losing a top 4 prospect. I love Adam Dunn, but if we wanna play with the big boys...
    I would doubt the Twins have much interest in Dunn for the same reason they're shopping Santana- they can't afford it.

If they were going to pony up the cash, they would most likely do it for their franchise pitcher before a newcomer that had yet to endear himself to the fanbase. Remember, they have that new stadium in their sites, and I doubt they want a fan mutiny for letting someone like Santana go, unless they genuinely can't afford it.

Forget about Santana, look at Haren and Bedard. I believe that's where the Reds will find their pitching solution.
    Go BLUE!!!

There's not really any great FA starting pitchers out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not sure if you've been following this offseason, but there aren't any #2 (or really even #3) starting pitchers available in free agency. Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva are widely considered to be the two best starters available on the FA market, and most consider them to be a #4 starter at best. Fortunately, the Reds don't seem to be interested in blowing $10 MM/year on either player. I guess Hiroki Kuroda would be the next best thing out there, but the Reds are not reported to be in on his bidding, either.

If the Reds acquire a top-notch pitcher, my guess is its going to be either Erik Bedard or Dan Haren, and it's going to cost a lot in terms of talent (which I'm perfectly fine with).

I'm thinking Josh Hamilton and either Homer Bailey or Johnny Cueto is as good as gone if either of those two are acquired. Lincecum is the other guy to watch, and he will cost at least one of the aforementioned in addition to Encarnacion. Stay tuned...
    Have the Reds filled their closer's role yet? Is Mackanin going to get the full time manager's job? Is Broadway Commons still a candidate for the new park? What do you mean Sparky is leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    There's not really any great FA starting pitchers out there.
    I know, just passing on what he said. But remember that people poo-pooed last year's FA pitchers like Meche and Lilly who both turned out very well. And didn't cost the Royals or Cubs any top prospects.

I know, just passing on what he said. But remember that people poo-pooed last year's FA pitchers like Meche and Lilly who both turned out very well. And didn't cost the Royals or Cubs any top prospects.
    Imagine though if we could land a Bedard or Harden?

My that would be sweet. Much better than paying out the nose for sub-par options such as Carlos Silva.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Imagine though if we could land a Bedard or Harden?

My that would be sweet. Much better than paying out the nose for sub-par options such as Carlos Silva.
    I would have to agree with that. I'm sure if the Reds could get either of those guys I would change my stance real quick (as long as we didn't have to give up too much). But since Cast seems to be in the mood to spend $$, I just like the FA route. But no doubt if you can get a great trade (like Wily Mo for Arroyo) you have to do it.

I would have to agree with that. I'm sure if the Reds could get either of those guys I would change my stance real quick (as long as we didn't have to give up too much). But since Cast seems to be in the mood to spend $$, I just like the FA route. But no doubt if you can get a great trade (like Wily Mo for Arroyo) you have to do it.
    If he's feeling like dropping some major coin, use it to ink Bedard to a 4 year deal with a club option for a 5th. He's 2 years away from FA, IIRC, so you could certainly drop some significant cash on him if you had an inkling to do so.

Turn Off Ads?